What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aphotic's No Till- Indoor- Raised Bed- Experience & Pseudo Knowledge Emporium

SUVA

I might try a rosemary and alfalfa tea spray for pm alfalfa has high calcium content as suggested by coots as pm defense

Aphotic

I might try a rosemary and alfalfa tea spray for pm alfalfa has high calcium content as suggested by coots as pm defense

Be careful with the alfalfa, it can burn your plants just like an ordinary fertilizer. But that's interesting, I'll have to look back through my notes and find that post.

Aphotic

Lots of bummers lately, so I'd thought I'd share my Oregon Pinot Noir lady about ready to chop down :) it's a little odd she hasn't turned purple, she usually has at this point, especially with the cool nights we've been having, only 2 leaves turned, kind of amusing.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

SUVA

Yes I understand it needs to be used in small amounts. I have been using it as a supplement from truenutrition.com it is organic and in a fine powder which increases availability it seems

Aphotic

Yes I understand it needs to be used in small amounts. I have been using it as a supplement from truenutrition.com it is organic and in a fine powder which increases availability it seems

I don't know if this would be possible for you, but I get mine from a feed store, it's organic, and dirt cheap, I also get my organic kelp there as well as a few other items. I've also planted an alfalfa crop, so I can stop buying it eventually.

Aphotic

Just pulled up a chair, and just joined the site too. I am trying to learn a good no till mix and i think i can learn alot from you aphotic. May i ask what you have around the base of your seedlings in the beg of the thread? I am going back to page one to read the thread btw. I look forward to talking more.

It's silica sand I get from a local hardware store, only because I haven't shopped around for a better deal yet, it's also an important part of my soil mix, you'll see my mix posted in this thread, it works well for me.

In my opinion rock dust local is a ripoff, same goes for the crap they sell at the grow stores, you should be able to find granite dust, etc from a local sand and gravel company, or the like. I pay something like $3.50 for a 50-100lb bag I can't remember which, I just woke up :)

Feed stores are also good resources for soil stuff, as well as potters stores.

Make your own charcoal/biochar if you can, it's easy, if not find a place where you can but it by itself, in rockdusts mixes your paying by weight and most of it is rock dust, it's better to find non-grow related companies to buy your products, they will be a million times cheaper.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cheers

mrS0ul

Meatball in Residence
Be careful with the alfalfa, it can burn your plants just like an ordinary fertilizer.

Read it here first! Thx Aphotic! I hope to grow a small tester patch in the spring.. Been wanting to incorporate it for some time... it's been hard for me to source as i am a not a cash cropper... The Lat I am looking at potentially; should be perfect..

thx for sharing...

:thank you:

wasgedn

yo aphotic,
:)
it's better to find non-grow related companies to buy your products, they will be a million times cheaper.
hhmm...good aspekt

------------
damn your plant has a lot of big colas...wow

Aphotic

Those rockdustlocal guys are almost literally in my backyard so i wanted your insight. Bear in mind i use a K.I.S.S methodology to my gardening and only try to utilize what my soils need to be all they can be. I prefer fungally dom composts but use both, California hummus for example, I use aact teas to actively keep my soil microbes eating like arapaima in the amazon man! then i try to focus on adding as many trace minerals as possible including sea minerals as well. Using them in foliars as well as drench's. Your exp. is something i glean things from so thankyou.

If you're growing canabis you're going to want a bacteria dominated soil/compost. Fungal dominated is best for trees and shrubs, rebuilding a forest. Same thing goes for your ACT, you want to brew a bacteria rich brew, not fungal. A forest grows on a dead forest, which is fungal, herbaceous plants grow on dead herbaceous plants, which is bacterial. The reason cutting down the Amazonian rain forest for farm land is so destructive, is that you're trying to grow herbaceous plants in a fungal soil, it makes shitty farm land, and after your crops use up what's in the soil the lands dead and you have to clear more forest, it's incredibly difficult to transition land from one to the other, you just end up losing both.

I can get you going in the right direction, but I also suggest you read through the older no till threads, and check out headys current thread, lots of great info, and check out microbe organics if you haven't yet! I can honestly say that most of what I know and practice in the cannabis garden, I learned from people on this site, and I'm still learning new things every day!

I'm just a student, and this site is full of masters.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Aphotic

Yay!!! My OPN girl is turning purple finally! It would have been weird if she hadn't, it's coming on pretty quick, I'll wait a couple of days and let her color set in, and I'll post some more pics.

I'm getting restless not having anything in my flower room, I think I might throw the clones from the WW, AK seedlings in early. The nematodes/ predator mites have almost wiped out the fungus gnats, so I'll chop down the cover crop in the next day or so, and chop up some borage, and comfrey to throw in there too.
Oh, and I've got purple green beans growing in my flower room beds :) I just noticed them today.

I spent most of the day, building a PVC greenhouse over the bed the OPN is in, rains coming, now the PM watch outdoors begins.....

VERMONSTAH

If you're growing canabis you're going to want a bacteria dominated soil/compost. Fungal dominated is best for trees and shrubs, rebuilding a forest. Same thing goes for your ACT, you want to brew a bacteria rich brew, not fungal. A forest grows on a dead forest, which is fungal, herbaceous plants grow on dead herbaceous plants, which is bacterial. The reason cutting down the Amazonian rain forest for farm land is so destructive, is that you're trying to grow herbaceous plants in a fungal soil, it makes shitty farm land, and after your crops use up what's in the soil the lands dead and you have to clear more forest, it's incredibly difficult to transition land from one to the other, you just end up losing both.

I can get you going in the right direction, but I also suggest you read through the older no till threads, and check out headys current thread, lots of great info, and check out microbe organics if you haven't yet! I can honestly say that most of what I know and practice in the cannabis garden, I learned from people on this site, and I'm still learning new things every day!

I'm just a student, and this site is full of masters.

Hope this helps

Thankyou

Last edited:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
great thread so far aphotic, looking forward to what you are going to do in those beds

Here's a question, if you use silica sand, granite fines, and DE, what's the point in buying a silica product additive? Yet I see so many using these products and buying a silica additive, I can't remember the names of the products, but they sell like hot cakes.

from time to time i use agsil 16 in foliar treatments to emulsify essential oils
that's the only reason i can forsee the need to use of other silica products (osa28 is another popular one); for foliar treatment
because, by my understanding the Si in DE, granite, silica sand all need microbial action to break them down and become available to plants

wasgedn

The reason cutting down the Amazonian rain forest for farm land is so destructive, is that you're trying to grow herbaceous plants in a fungal soil, it makes shitty farm land, and after your crops use up what's in the soil the lands dead and you have to clear more forest, it's incredibly difficult to transition land from one to the other, you just end up losing both.
:thank you::thank you: