What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Commercial outdoor organic soil mixes for 2016

milkyjoe

Veteran
How did you get the Ca mineralized and onto cec sites? You almost got it all...melich 3 vs aa. Iowa state research shows an avg of 3 grows for it all to happen. Without water how did the bacteria do anything?

Here is plant sap PH test performed on plants grown in the Radiant Light Blend..

No foliar feeding had ever been done prior to this sap test..

picture.php

sat paste

sat paste

picture.php

205 lbs an acre of p, but before its been wet 0 available. once wet Ive not seen a P def ever.. no purple stems or petioles ....

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
the last 2 seasons i used my own version of coots mix, custom mixed by rare earth in grass valley. 2014 batch was mixed with chicken compost, 2015 batch with fish compost. both performed very well. i will order lab tests sometime in the next month or so

2016 will be more of the same. coots-style custom blend, comes out to about 140/yard. Sounds like some of the high-end mixes are pretty pricey, i would hate to pay 300+ for a yard of dirt especially since im planning to grow in 5yard mounds next year

I've been using vermicrop vermisoil and vermifire the past few years. they are decent. I don't like the idea of them being bought out by Scotts (monsanto) so Im looking at other options. I think it was only 150/ yard or so, don't wanna pay too much more. going to need a couple hundred yards so 300/yd isn't doable

TheOutlawTree

I need alot of dirt, so price is a bit of a concern for me as well. However- having good dialed in soil, and not having to deal with as much pest / fungal issues sounds great to me. My crop was nailed with PM last season- and the unbalanced vermifire soil i used probably had a lot to do with it.

The radiant light blend from essential sounds good to me....There is no way i can / will pay the 370$ a yard for the cootz mix from rare earth though. It needs to be cheaper

Still another month or three to figure out the soil situation for next season, lets do this together

Last edited:

VortexPower420

Veteran
Wouldn't you guys just reamend, mulch, cover crop and then just plant into the mix again next year?

I can't comprehend buying soil every year unless I am expanding a grow. If you had issues I can maybe see it but a soil test and humus are wonderful things.

I have never done large scale out doors but my 32 gal totes did me well for 3 years. Last year they didn't get anything at all. They were the best plants I grew.

I'm from the school of thought that it would only gets better with age.

TheOutlawTree

^ yeah thats the idea. I am fairly new to california and still have a lot of upgrading to do to my land. I want to up everything to 800g pots. I'm going to mix the 60-70yds already there together and re-ammend / fix the high K issues in the next couple months to get ready for the season, but i'm going to need alot more dirt.

milkyjoe

Veteran
What can you get oly mountain for in cali?

I would find someone with an auger and have em mix for me. Check out who schrews uses

TheOutlawTree

the last 2 seasons i used my own version of coots mix, custom mixed by rare earth in grass valley. 2014 batch was mixed with chicken compost, 2015 batch with fish compost. both performed very well. i will order lab tests sometime in the next month or so

2016 will be more of the same. coots-style custom blend, comes out to about 140/yard. Sounds like some of the high-end mixes are pretty pricey, i would hate to pay 300+ for a yard of dirt especially since im planning to grow in 5yard mounds next year

Hey shcrews that sounds like just what im looking for. Something a lot cheaper that still does well. You had some pretty amazing results with your mix too. I was hoping to be able order from rare earth since its pretty close to me and i like to support local business.

I need to get up there and talk about different options. I figure i could replace the big worm castings and malibu with different options.

milkyjoe

Veteran
buildasoil.com/collections/all-visible-products/products/compost-oly-mountain-fish-compost

Watch the video on this page comparing oly mountain to malibu. I got to see them side by side...no comparison

leadsled

buildasoil.com/collections/all-visible-products/products/compost-oly-mountain-fish-compost

Watch the video on this page comparing oly mountain to malibu. I got to see them side by side...no comparison
No comparison based on what? a guesstimates based on a visual diagnosis. a lab test? a microscope assay?

Take this advice you can end up with a unbalanced mix.

Excess p/k and sodium does not show up in the video.

Oly mtn lab test
picture.php

Probably is good for a compost extract or aact.

Anyways hope that helps. Sometimes you need unbiased advice from a sober person. The advice is based on facts and real world variables.

Things like lab tests and microscope assays....

Jack or Coors advice MAY cause you more problems so take it in context so you don't get fucked over with shit advice.

Seen it happen to other fanboys that do not have a clue and listen to the drunken escapades....

Wine is fine, But whiskey's quicker, suicide is slow with liquor :laughing:

milkyjoe

Veteran
Who would be giving unbiased advise
..a guy selling $300 dirt

Edit...we will see schrews logan before long. That will be real world

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
having used both products, i get the impression the bu's blend is simply screened finer. They both bring the humic quality and will "wake up" your mix

what we really need is analysis to make certain we aren't radically boosting K levels like many commercial humic products do

leadsled is that just a sample of OMFC?

Latest posts

Latest posts