What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Big Soil Little Room, Recycled soil trial

W89

Veteran
Really impressive mate, I like this a lot, I need to start looking into bigger pots this is my first organic experience and I didnt contemplate how much difference in a plants roots between soil and hydro... I got root bound on both lots of seedlings I've done.. where before in hydro Ive grown 2 ft plants in 2 ltr coco and I get root bound 2 week old seedlings in 1 ltr pots lol

O

OrganicOzarks

Smartpots ships a container at a time to Europe. They do not have the justification yet to manufacture there. If it dictates they will. I believe they are shipping them to Spain, but I could be wrong on that. I just had a conversation about this the other day with them.

FatherEarth

Veteran
wowowo. lool 17 days and they grew fast as fuck.. do u find u yield better.. doing these large bed type pots.. compared to using like 5 or 10 gallon pots per plant???

i was thinking of trying to do this also.. i figured they would get bigger then individual pots.

Ive never flowered in anything smaller than a 20 gallon since I started using soil. I was told and shown that the size of the plant outside the pot isnt nearly as important as whats in the pot. If you look at a plants above ground structure its directly related to its root space. A plant that has a small amount of space to grow roots grows up but not out. Plants with ample root space grow into round globes that look as though someone manicured them that way. More roots, more power. Thats what all this dirt is about, root space. " The bigger the root, the bigger the shoot" is how I was taught. I think we have been largely underestimating the cannabis plant for a long time. Most people dont truly know what it is capable of in terms of growth. Growing Large plants thread is a testament to that. Although "Times are a changin" . . .

So I would have to say the answer to your question is Yes, more soil, bigger yield.

Big Soil Every Time.

FatherEarth

Veteran
First off respect for taking the time to show your method, it really helps people in the long run and that is important. I had two questions for you FE. I was wondering if you could discuss your brewer a little more, it looks like there's heat wands in there? At first I thought you had a PVC setup like rootwise where you had the long PVC pipe drilled with tiny holes and that would be inserted in your catch bag.

But after looking a little harder I don't think that's what's going on here, so if you have time would love to hear more. Also are you using RO in your tea or the well water? And lastly was curious if you have ratios on your initial soil mix, I have a pretty good base recipe idea for what I'm going to do but we are using a similar amount of medium. I was going to mix up 800 gallons. Last one, do you prefer thermx 70 over JH Natural wet or was it just a matter of what was around?

All info is appreciated, blessings and respect.

The Brewer. The basic ideas were all gathered from microbeorganics.com ...
http://microbeorganics.com/#So_You_Wanna_Build_A_Compost_Tea_Brewer

From there I just added things that fit my situation or made things easier. For instance my airlift has a smaller diameter air inlet pipe that extends upwards and out so that I can angle my air lift water stream to swirl around the barrel without kinking my hose. The airlift is key for gas exchange I would not leave that out of your brewer.

ACT_brew_air_lift.jpg

ACT_brewer_air_lift_hose.jpg

ACT_brewer_bottom_of_air_lift.jpg

FatherEarth

Veteran
My "whateveragon" as microbeman calls it, has holes all around it pointing down and out. Trying to get an even bubble 'curtain' all around. There are more holes the further you get away from the main pipe air inlet. The pipe in the middle that you mentioned is to get air flowing up the center column. Im trying to avoid any anaerobic dead space .. I also never use a bag, I let my compost be free to swirl and ride the airlift. Make sure and use fine compost or it will clog your airlift and if you arent around it can choke your ACT and become anaerobic quickly. I sift all the large particles out, I toss the woody fungal pieces into a minnow dip net and hang them over the outlet for the air lift for a while to get some of the mycelium into the brewer before I toss the chunks.

Final consistency before adding to the brewer

sifted_compost_for_brewing.jpg

FatherEarth

Veteran
Yes those are heaters you see inside the brewer. One at the bottom and on the side about midway up. I sometimes brew outdoors when its cold I need to keep the water warm. Also when I start a brew with 58 degree well water I need to warm it up before I add my microbes. I keep it at 62-65 degrees. I use well water, 33ppm is my average reading and it doesnt fluctuate much. According to microbeman his recipes are made with water around this number as well. Id have to go and read up on his exact recommendations.

Here is the heater I use, I always opt for more heating power than than suggested because I may be dealing with a higher temperature differential than 10-15 degrees when brewing outdoors.
728582_AquaHeat300w-Unit.jpg

FatherEarth

Veteran
Note: I would not use the black drain pipes again if I build another one. Although cheap, they arent suitable for anything but waste so they are probably leaching chemicals into my brew. As bad as that sounded I think Ill build a new lift tomorrow....

Y

YosemiteSam

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy...this is my favorite grow on the net period...rock on FE.

somoz

Veteran
Great posts man, thanks for taking the time to put them up. I like the tips about the minnow net and mycelium left overs. Smart.

How about that soil recipe.....

somoz

Veteran
Pretty sure that's Dr Pepper -- I have a good mix recipe already but it never hurts to know more. Nice to hear you again Veg :kiss:

FatherEarth

Veteran
url looking sexy with at least 4 more weeks to go, I love this plant.
I keep this one as head stash..Im growing this one to process in the Terpenator MKIII, finally got all the stuff I need minus my tank filled. Ill save that for another thread...heh
picture.php

picture.php

101N
picture.php

picture.php