What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Another Deficiency Problem...(sorry)

ancientorigins

I have done some decent research but cant pinpoint the exact problem...seems to be a combination of some things. Its prevalent in almost all of my plants. Looks like somewhat of calcium and magnesium...

600W LED, 6.5ph, feeding black strap molasses and tiger bloom...seeking help from the pros...here are pics. Growing caramelicious auto, northern light xl auto, and some mystery non auto.

1st pic is of caramel, 2nd of mystery nonauto plant, northern light has 2 spots now showing up...sigh

20selo7.jpg

wu318n.jpg

Easy7

Veteran
I'm better at avoiding problems than fixing them.

Starting with a good soil mix and nutrient line is best.

Never used fox farm products myself. Guano and kelp have a good bit of magnesium. Oyster shells in the soil supply plenty of calcium. No idea on guano having calcium.

Looks like ph. Tiger bloom is supposed to have good stuff.

ancientorigins

im using ocean forest soil, heard its pretty good stuff. I will say i dont have a meter to test soil of water or soil. Im just using apple cider vinegar to drop PH of water im feeding...

n_d_ledz

Do your containers have drainage? Looks like the roots have had some soggy time and if so, no matter what PH your water going in is, its getting screwed in the soil.

If you want to take the standard approach to any nutrient issue, step one is to Flush the medium well... ie: Place in the bathtub and run a steady stream of water through the pot for 3 minutes. Let rest for 5 and repeat. Continue to repeat until the runoff looses most of its discoloration. Before placing the plant back into the grow, feed it with half strength nutrients... Watch the newest growth and see how they like...

ancientorigins

yes the containers have some decent drainage...at least 4 big holes on the bottom, some more...i dont know if its enough or not though, when i water/feed it seems to drain well...thanks for the responses so far

MrBungle

yep pH out of whack and over watering... make sure your pots feel light before you water or feed....

Just tiger bloom? you should be adding big bloom in there too no? If I was you I'd be feeding only big bloom for about a week then carry on with the big bloom/tiger bloom using big bloom at full strength and tiger bloom at 1/2

ancientorigins

ph out of wack and overwatering would make sense....then by seeing the deficiencies i try to compensate by feeding more...okay so get a darn ph meter and stop feeding the damn plants seems like a good start, thank you for your help. Is it okay to use apple cider vinegar to lower ph?

cravin morehead

Veteran
hey Ancient
I'm no soil expert but in all types of growing, less is more and patience is key. start simple to learn first. throwing a bunch of snake oils at a plant without having any real experience is a quick path to problems. the quickest way to problems is over loving your plants. keep it simple to start, like a 1 part feed. then as you progress, try one thing at a time. it's the only way to see what it's affects were. learn as you go and walk before you run.
hope that helps,

cm

Easy7

Veteran
I would always ph bottle nutrient solutions in the water mix. It's not like tea and they usually have an extreme ph to preserve the nutrient in the bottle. Fox farm claims tiger bloom is ph'd but they could just mean ph stable. Could still be low.

Fact is the ph burned. That's why I don't like bottle nutrients for anything other than hydro. Even then I don't like hydro, too damn costly.

n_d_ledz

Fox Farm is good soil, if treated properly and watered at a ph between 6-7, will buffer to the proper range. Once it has gone sour, it will take some effort to restart the soil. Give a good dry cycle and you can try watering with 1 tsp of blackstrap molasses per gallon to feed what micro life is still around.

ancientorigins

thank you guys for the responses and help, i appreciate it :). I think the problem must have started from incorrect ph...as only once have i measured it with my buddies ph meter, it really doesnt take many drops of apple cider vinegar to bring a huge movie theatre size cup down to 2.8! lol! ill buy a ph meter

MrBungle

The pH drops (vinegar) only really adjusts the pH of your water or nute solution... it only minimally affects the media pH.. it is the elements in your soil and water/nutes that affect your media pH...

ancientorigins

ah yes my ignorance is becoming quite clear isnt it? Will I have to maintain the soil ph by adding some stuff or should it be okay as is?

n_d_ledz

Unless you have overwatered or over fertilized, the soil will work to maintain its own ph.

Most nutrients work to take the idiot out of growing. If your tap water is municipal source, there should not need to be major adjustments (for soil growing) to the ph. It almost seems as you have read on hydro growing and are trying to apply that here as well....there are some carry overs, but solution ph is not one.

ancientorigins

i dont understand my problem then...I previously thought that water/feeding ph helped maintain the soil ph..that was my error. I dont understand why all my plants are having this problem, not enough oxygen? the black strap molasses should take care of cal and mag...i ordered a soil ph tester....