What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

At what stage are buds TOO dense?

Hi guys, may sound like a silly question, but flipped 55 days ago, (just under 8 weeks), was planning on taking them to a full 70 days. (10 weeks) growing through summer,
had some major fox tailing on a few of the tops due to the heat etc, pretty airy, but the ones that weren't affected are now getting to the point where I cant see how its going to add on any more weight because they are just far to compact and rock solid,
they are now creating compact foxtail off shoots, which actually looks pretty cool, the pistils are fairly white and fuzzy, coated really well with resin, cloudy upon magnification,

would it be worth while chopping the tops off (the ones that are rock hard) so that everything under the main canopy gets a few weeks worth of actual light, maybe fatten them up (they are not the best), or will the shock of taking the tops off be to much and stunt.
or
should I just leave it alone, wait the few weeks and see if the tops get even bigger?

Its a small cash crop, indoor tent, hps/led, coco, recirc,
I have been using Canna Boost Accelerator from start of flower
(maybe that's why they are a bit ahead of time?)

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The density is connected to the light intensity, probably easiest to back off the lights a bit. The under fluff is going to stay fluffy, no real fix there. Might want to harvest the top buds when they're done (5-15% amber trichomes) and then harvest the fluff as it matures.

I like 55-60wpsqft of light, higher without CO2 makes for some very dense nuggage. :)