What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hot Shot No Pest Strips. Do They Kill Spidermite Eggs Too?

Rabbi

Ok so after battling spidermites the last 3-4 years or so I've finally decided to shut down shop and try to tackle these fuckers properly. I've sprayed down my entire grow room and all equipment with hot water and bleach. I've sprayed down the few plants that I still have in veg with Forbid 4f. I've heard several people claiming to have success with the Hot Shot No Pest Strips but want to know if those kill the spidermite eggs too? At this point since I've shut everything down just to tackle these fuckers I want to make I'm not leaving any stones unturned. If another 3-6 months down the road I see mites again I'm going to fuckin snap and burn my house down lol.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Unless of course your mites come from a line that has been through this before. In which case they'll have developed a resistance.

Asslover

Veteran
Hot Shot no pest strips DO NOT kill spider mites, let alone eggs. Very few products do and Hot Shot is not one of them. If it were that easy there wouldn't be hundreds of threads about how to kill spider mites.
The only way i ever got rid of them was a complete tear down, washing of the walls/floor/etc, and start off with new everything (cuts/medium etc).
Hot Shot strips kill some insects, but not spider mites. You been battling them for 4 years now, THATS how hard they are to rid. Hot Shot strip won't help.

mowood3479

Veteran
Avid and floramite alternating sprays every 5 days for 3 weeks.. Is my suggestion. I wouldn't spray anything in flower tho.

I don't like hot shot pest strips.. I prefer my poisons to not be of the airborne variety.. And also unless u totally seal the room (no air in or out) they won't saturate the air enough to kill anything, U'll just end up with hot shot resistant mites.

highsteppa

Veteran
anytime I had them, neem oil killed them pretty easily. You need to do it regularly for a bit to break the cycles. Kill em , let em hatch, kill em again and so on

Granger2

Veteran
Go to the Cannabis Infirmary, and read the Spider Mite Borg Sticky. You have to be thorough or they just keep coming back. Check my posts there. Area sprays, dunk plants for 100% coverage + it rinses off most mites and eggs, but do it every 36 hours, 4 times, so as eggs hatch the are killed before they mature enough to lay more eggs. Do an area spray [soil surface, walls, doors, floors, containers incl bottoms] each time. Use wetting agent. Good luck. -granger

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Hot Shot no pest strips DO NOT kill spider mites, let alone eggs. Very few products do and Hot Shot is not one of them. If it were that easy there wouldn't be hundreds of threads about how to kill spider mites.
The only way i ever got rid of them was a complete tear down, washing of the walls/floor/etc, and start off with new everything (cuts/medium etc).
Hot Shot strips kill some insects, but not spider mites. You been battling them for 4 years now, THATS how hard they are to rid. Hot Shot strip won't help.

This just not true. It works. Not on thrips tho

I have done it myself about 6 months ago.

dude. do yourself a favor. ignore all that shit ^^^

get yourself a hotshot pest strip, put it in there for 7 days then throw it away. you and your pockets can thank me later.

i dunno why these guys are trying to sell you all these expensive snake oils.

Ganjaganjakush

dude. do yourself a favor. ignore all that shit ^^^

get yourself a hotshot pest strip, put it in there for 7 days then throw it away. you and your pockets can thank me later.

i dunno why these guys are trying to sell you all these expensive snake oils.

And ounce of prevention is worth a pound of of cure..if you can't seem to keep bugs away implement a solid IPM Program and you'll never have even think about pests, what I said is pennies to the gallon and is full of micronutrients that increase your plants immune system to keep bugs from even settling in the first place.

Rabbi

Thx for all the advice everyone. Think I might give the hot shots a go since i have nothing to lose by trying them.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hot shot strips should not be put in your garden. Your plants will carry toxins in through till harvest.

First I've heard of this. Care to elaborate?

From what I've read the low water solubility gives it weak systemic action, and what little is absorbed breaks down readily. Perhaps further reading is required.

NPS work best when hung above and below the canopy, with zero air movement. Direct light will significantly decrease lifespan by increasing release rate.

Wear proper PPE (gloves and rubber face mask). Dichlorovus is a neurotoxin. Do not hang in areas that exchange air with living/work space.

Grangers advice is on point as per usual and is the direction I go myself, but everyone is entitled to solve problems in their own fashion. Can't talk about anything without Clacks kiddies butting in ;D (in reference to the neematoads)

the gnome

Veteran
I kno spider mites don't like NPS.
years ago inspecting a seedlings tray I noticed a dozen or so SMs on a few plants at the end of the tray
i put a fresh NPS next to it, within 2hrs they were moving away from the seed flat end with the NPS,
I went an sprayed the plants down with a 50-50 iso water mix
to kill the spidermites and keep em from spreading.

moral of the story?
SMs don't like NPS for sure,
a few were very slow and sluggish compared to others
BUT
I didn't see any dead ones.

Latest posts

Latest posts