What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pirate's DIY Sulfur Burner for Dummies

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
Pirate i was just down on that end of the 17, my bro lives down there its freakin awesome nice.

But yeah, PM is hitting everywhere. Our plants our fighting it pretty goood, only on a few fan leaves and very small patches, but we are still spraying them tough!

sweet, another page to the "How to grow like a Pirate handbook"!

Dont have a use for the sulfer burner at the moment...knock on wood....but that little soda can trick is the shit.

As usual, badass DIY and how-to instructions Pirate! Can't wait to see what else you've got cooking on that ship of yours.

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
Yo !! Thanks Pontiac. I am honored to occupy a section of your DIY library.:woohoo:

How about a small update?

I've run my Burner several times since I built it and i am happy to report.........the Powdery Mildew is pretty much gone !!! Thats right.........Gone !!:woohoo:

Now..........like I said........I've tried everything under the sun but nothing has handled the PM like sulfur has. Almost all the leaves that had white spores on em are clearing up. The sulfur is killing the spores and my leaves are turning clear. Its pretty amazing to see leaves that were covered in powder turn glossy green once again. I know the disease is still within the plant but as long as I stay on a 3 or 4 day burn cycle for the next few weeks and then once a week after that...........I will win the war for sure. (and I was getting it bad)

If your dealing with PM. Quit wasting your time with home remidies. Either buy or build a Sulfur Burner and be done with it !!!

Relief has come to my garden at last.

4saken

Yo !! Thanks Pontiac. I am honored to occupy a section of your DIY library.:woohoo:

How about a small update?

I've run my Burner several times since I built it and i am happy to report.........the Powdery Mildew is pretty much gone !!! Thats right.........Gone !!:woohoo:

Now..........like I said........I've tried everything under the sun but nothing has handled the PM like sulfur has. Almost all the leaves that had white spores on em are clearing up. The sulfur is killing the spores and my leaves are turning clear. Its pretty amazing to see leaves that were covered in powder turn glossy green once again. I know the disease is still within the plant but as long as I stay on a 3 or 4 day burn cycle for the next few weeks and then once a week after that...........I will win the war for sure. (and I was getting it bad)

If your dealing with PM. Quit wasting your time with home remidies. Either buy or build a Sulfur Burner and be done with it !!!

Relief has come to my garden at last.

Just wanted to say congrats dude, you nailed it. This is a pretty big advancement in DIY, not because it was complicated but we just needed someone to do it first. Awesome job dude, a true working remedy for mold and bugs? :woohoo:

PharmaCan

Veteran
Anyone know the effect this has on your lungs or effect on the rest of the household ?

Well, it kills everyone in the house but, so? What's your point? LOL

Pirate - Great DIY. Your burner may actually work better than my store-bought one. The way you've created the air movement around and up from the melting pot looks like it would be an improvement over the commercial models.

PC

Pirate

Veteran
Anyone know the effect this has on your lungs or effect on the rest of the household ?
You cannot breath vaporized sulfur. It is poison WHEN IN VAPOR FORM. Once the vapor / smoke settles it is safe. I have not seen any residue on anything after burning it.

I go in my room to check on it while it's burning and the room is full of vapor. BUT I hold my breath or cover my mouth with my shirt and hand for short breaths. (I'm not dead yet). It's just for quick checks on the unit.

If ya need to burn one of these in a house closet or something........Just seal it off with some plastic. or towels under the doors or whatever. The room should be sealed well. If not........the odor may get into the house. But it can be confined if your careful enough. Amazingly........the odor isn't bad and once it settles it leaves pretty quick. Like a couple hours and the smell is gone. But I don't have carpet where I burn it either...........I would be careful about getting the odor into carpet.

Don't breath the smoke. You or your pets.

Whobdobub

I was actually looking for something like this.
I have never seen how it works or anyhing but after i saw the smoke, i started to think about the rst of the house and the effect it would have.

My concern is having this in the garden (basement) and the Air / furnace / Central Air , Kicks on . Im wondering if those vapors would get sucked into the furnace intake possibly and travel throughout the house.

Thanks.
Awesome DIY !!

Pirate

Veteran
I was actually looking for something like this.
I have never seen how it works or anyhing but after i saw the smoke, i started to think about the rst of the house and the effect it would have.

My concern is having this in the garden (basement) and the Air / furnace / Central Air , Kicks on . Im wondering if those vapors would get sucked into the furnace intake possibly and travel throughout the house.

Thanks.
Awesome DIY !!
Thanks !!

Just shut those units down IF they are located in he basement or the return duct are. Shut em down durin the burn and for around 2 hours after he burner stops to allow the sulfur to settle.

If their not attached to the basement through ducting then ............no worries.

blindeye94

thanks pirate for this diy...i have a problem with PM (first time)..and i have battled it...keep it under control..kinda...had to harvest 2 weeks early just to make sure i saved it...(bummer)....so i looked around... found the parts..like you lying around...had an exact duplicate in about an hour...with only one bloody finger...one difference is is that..i cant seem to find a green spot..and i looked a the two usual places...alls i could find was the flood..
so question 1..flood not hot enough
question 2..on your test run did you have a liquid in it
question 3..will it work also for the "borg"
and statement 1...you are the shazzba on this diy it was very easy....peace...B.E.

Pirate

Veteran
thanks pirate for this diy...i have a problem with PM (first time)..and i have battled it...keep it under control..kinda...had to harvest 2 weeks early just to make sure i saved it...(bummer)....so i looked around... found the parts..like you lying around...had an exact duplicate in about an hour...with only one bloody finger...one difference is is that..i cant seem to find a green spot..and i looked a the two usual places...alls i could find was the flood..
so question 1..flood not hot enough
question 2..on your test run did you have a liquid in it
question 3..will it work also for the "borg"
and statement 1...you are the shazzba on this diy it was very easy....peace...B.E.
Cool BlindEye !!

Answers:
1) I will have to look at mine. I may be wrong on flood or spot. Assume the flood will work for now. As long as its the heavy glass one and not the super thin glass one your cool.
2)I ran the can dry a few times for testing the temperatures. I use a cooking thermometer to make sure it ran right. Then I added a few grains of sulfur to see if it melted and smoked...........The ran it full bore in the room.
3)I don't now what "THE BORG" is ??

Thanks Man.............Yur Shagadelic Baby !!

Pirate

Veteran
Got it......Thanks.

As soon as you said it............I knew it. (Duh)