What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

my first grow

atomos

this is my first grow. I am new so if i offend anyone Im sorry.
My intent for growing is to produce buds for me. Im not interested in selling at all and the grow has to be about 80% stealth.

i got a bag of seeds from a friend and i used a wet paper towel to sprout them. now they are in miracle grow garden soil that will feed the plants for 6 months.
I built a 1ft x 1ft x 4ft grow box. i am going to be using CFL.

If you have any tips or constructive criticism let me know

Attachments

• 100_2997.jpg
    100_2997.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_2998.jpg
    100_2998.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_2999.jpg
    100_2999.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_3001.jpg
    100_3001.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 10

Friend

Veteran
try rotating the bulb 90 degrees so the side of it is facing the plants.

they should get more usable light that way.

also, it wouldn't hurt to get more lighting in there, with some kind of ventilation system to go along with it. does your box have any kind of intake and exhaust vents?

best of luck to you

bendoslendo

Put a small fan on them quickly so they can build strong stems. They will otherwise fall over soon. If they do you can help them up with toothpick or match or whatever.

As Friend noted, make sure you have a way to get air into and out of the box and get more lights. Go for a mix of cool and warm types if you can. Paint the inside of the box white if possible.

The soil looks very wet right now. Overwatering is very common for first grows.

Good luck and keep researching and asking questions!

phr0st

I over-watered a lot on my first grow. I wait until the soil is almost completely dry before i water again now. This also promotes root growth.

I use CFL's also, I have 3 42w bulbs and 3 24w for my grows. I would stock up on bulbs as soon as you can before they get stupid expensive ( China CFL inflation ).

Since you said you want your grow to be pretty stealthy, to build on friends note about ventilation here is a link for light proof vents.

What kind of light schedule are they on? do you have a timer to keep it consistent?

Can we see more pix of your set up?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Put a small fan on them quickly so they can build strong stems.

This can dehydrate your plants, it can kill seedlings. Unless overcrowded, a vent system for air exchange provides all the breeze you'll need. To toughen plants, handle them. Pet seedling leaves gently. Larger plants, make the "V" for victory or "Peace" sign, slip stalk between fingers, shake plant.

I would def agree with...
-getting some passive ventilation goin
-getting more light
-painting your cab white (you can get cheap flat white rattle cans at like Lows)

My suggestion for your little sprouts would be
-watch your watering (you want your soil to be moist when you water them, not wet)
-place them as close as you can with out touching the light. CFLs don't have a lot of penetrating powers, so this helps you get more out of them. Keeping your plants close to your lights also helps keep them from growing tall and lanky ( then they will fall over). Don't worry if they do fall over tho, just pop them up with a tooth pick or a twist tie (they will get stronger).

Good luck and keep us posted, and lots of pics

atomos

WOW this is unbelievable!!!! Thank you for all the comments :) I didn't think my thread would go anywhere. Im going to be making the ventilation soon using a DIY carbon filter i found on the icmag site. the exhaust will be on towards the top of the grow box and the intake will be toward the bottom. I will be getting a lot more lights. my plan is to use one light for the moment-clone all the plants- clones take root- fruit the clones- kill males- and finally GROW SOME BUD with the ladies. for the inside of the grow box i plan on getting mylar. For watering i spray the buds with a mister bottle every 6-8 hours.

I have some questions that have probally been answered before 100 times but here they go.
i want to reduce all odor so im thinking of using an Ionic Breeze (air purifier) along with carbon filter. Does this sound like a good plan?
Im not a craftsman type of person and i dont know how to make the light hang horizontal, so i guess what im asking is if anyone would be willing to upload a link to some good CFL set ups or has suggestions im all ears.

I want to take the time and thank you again for your support in this project. The other night i was having some anxiety about growing (all the what ifs and all) and seeing all of these posts have boosted my moral and i thank you for your time, your patience and support in my growing endeavor.

PS. here are some pics

Attachments

• 100_3008.jpg
    100_3008.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_3004.jpg
    100_3004.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_3003.jpg
    100_3003.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_3002.jpg
    100_3002.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 12
Ya man the people on IC are hella cool! The cab is looking great, and it seems like you got out figured out! The first grow is a frustrating one (I wish I could say it gets less), but it does become more natural. I haven't built a DIY scrubber yet, (I want to for a drying room) but I'm guessing it should cover your smell. Somebody here will know more. Same goes for hanging bulbs horizontal. Another route would be to buy a cheap 3 socket vanity light for bathrooms. You can get them at Lows & etc. They are just cheap metal, I think around $8, and you just splice your own power cord on. Then you can buy some spliters for the 3 bulb sockets, and now you can have 6 bulbs (your choice of watts)! I will attach pics of my veg room, maybe it will help give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
Well good luck

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Not saying, I'm asking because I'm confused. Does turning a cfl accomplish anything. Lamps throw all light perpendicular to the shaft. With the lamp vertical overhead, plants receive direct light from 50% of one circle, a half-circle of light. Horizontally they receive 50% of 4 quarter circles or, a half circle of light.

Obviously a reflector will throw some light back to the grow but, I'm not seeing how turning the lamp changes anything.

Back to the question at hand.

You can affix cleats straight to the sides of the cab while raising and lowering plant containers.

Try bathroom vanity fixtures premade to horizontal configuration.

Make your own fixture with eye hooks on top for hookup to chains or other adjustable system. The illo is a 2 banger but, you you can do as many per side as you wish.

If wiring your own, wire in parallel, not in series...

atomos

all4theluvofit: thanks for showing me pictures of your operation.
FreezerBoy: thanks for the light fixture and wiring diagrams.

i think for this first time im going to use a power strip-Adapter Outlet-Twin-Socket Adapter. After i get some experience im going to daisy chain with a light fixture and twin socket adapter. here are some pictures of what im talking about

Attachments

• 0fda47dc-4839-4616-87fc-45161504248b_300.jpg
    0fda47dc-4839-4616-87fc-45161504248b_300.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 7
  • power_strip.jpg
    power_strip.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 223342423.jpg
    223342423.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 10650505c.jpg
    10650505c.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 6

rafe

You can get all the info right here my friend. No one will laugh at you because we all were beginners once. Having time and a good spot to work without being obvious. When you turn your light off leave it off and stay away until the next day.

atomos

here are some more pics. i added 6 (23 watt) CFL!!!

i have a question: the stems are beginning to curve down to the grown. Is it due to the light being to close, lack of a fan blowing on them, not deep enough in the soil?!?!?

as always here are some pics

Attachments

• 100_3008.jpg
    100_3008.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_3017.jpg
    100_3017.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_3013.jpg
    100_3013.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_3012.jpg
    100_3012.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_3011.jpg
    100_3011.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_3010.jpg
    100_3010.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 8

Friend

Veteran
When there was just one bulb above them, the stems stretched upward in order to get more light. Now that there are more leaf sets forming, the top of the seedlings are too heavy for the skinny stem to support. Not that big of a deal... just put little stakes in the dirt and tie the plants upright.

First off nice work with lights, and the little ones!

You want to keep your plants just under the bulbs. The CFLs I believe are ment to throw their light down from the bottom (i believe this is what Freezer Boy was getting at). So with the plants between the bulbs, the strongest part of light is now below the leaves. So, they are still trying pull towards the lights, just down this time. Like friend said, no big deal, raise the lights a hair, and give them little stakes. When you transplant them you can barry the stems a bit, this well help the highth, and give you a really sturdy plant!
:bump:

A little fan is not a bad idea. Just make sure at this stage you don't blow directly on them , reflect the breeze of the wall or something.

Keep the good work man!

FreezerBoy

Veteran
the stems are beginning to curve down to the grown.

Plants don't know much but, they know where the good light is and they'll do whatever it takes to get there even if it hurts them.

Brand new, 1 second old baby seedlings are expecting to find the full power of the sun in all it's blazing glory. They blow their noses at puny 1K lamps. A 23 watt cfl? Now they laugh at you, kick sand in your face and steal your girl.

None of our lights are too strong. The concern is heat. Don't know the range of CFLs but, the "back of the hand" trick will indicate the proper height. Stick the back of your hand under the lamp, hold as close as is comfortable (that's "comfortable" not what you can endured with gritted teeth you big manly stud muffin you) There's your height. FWIW, I sometimes germ under a 250.

You can stake plants up or, upon transplanting, set them low in the new pot but, that will stall growth for a week or two as it builds new air breathing roots at the surface. When it happens to me with rockwool (because we all screw up from time to time) , I wrap the stem around the cube when I transplant to the tub.

atomos

i just got a 6" inline fan and i need help wiring it. I would like to wire it to an extension cord. If you can provide or link or a step by step instruction i would be grateful.

Attachments

• 100_3019.jpg
    100_3019.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_3020.jpg
    100_3020.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_3022.jpg
    100_3022.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 10

atomos

i have a 3 prong extension cord that is 13A 125V 1625W. will this work if i wire green to green, black to black, white to white?!?!?. will i need to use an electrical wire nut to secure each wire then use electrical tape and tape the whole thing together

wisco61

i have a 3 prong extension cord that is 13A 125V 1625W. will this work if i wire green to green, black to black, white to white?!?!?. will i need to use an electrical wire nut to secure each wire then use electrical tape and tape the whole thing together

Yup, you got it. Use the nuts and tape to be safe.

atomos

only the green cord is marked. how do i tell the difference between the black wire/cord from the white wire/cohttps://www.icmag.com/ic/images/smilies/dunno.gifrd?!?!?!? :dunno:

Attachments

• 100_3025.jpg
    100_3025.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_3027.jpg
    100_3027.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_3037.jpg
    100_3037.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Latest posts