What's new

Sumatran origins

Mimpi Manis

Some of you may be interested in these. A few images of a strain I've worked with for almost four decades. Seed sourced from Indonesian friends around 1981. These were grown by some other friends. First time grow... stellar job indeed. Access to a full sun position sure helped. Not something I'm blessed with in my situation... sadly.

Couple of versions here. The purple flowered one (I call Purple People Eater) I crossed with a purple plant a friend was growing some years ago. It has more obvious indica traits. The other is more sativa (NLD) leaning. The PPE had two enormous colas chopped due to some mould breaking out, so these pics show it sans those clubs. The other had none. (Now there's a good sign!) Pics taken 23/2/20 down Gondwana way). They're almost done I reckon. Being a sativa bunny myself, I'm interested in how the green pheno vapes. Peace. Lj.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Yo Sammy

Veteran
I am very interested in these for sure!
They look amazing.
Would love to give these a go myself, i am very very interested in Sumatran weed.
Could you maybe elaborate about potency, aroma’s and flower time regarding these beauties?
Thanks for sharing these great pictures of amazing plants.

hellfire

Nice looking plants, beautiful colas. Quite the pink on those pistils. :tiphat:
Were the seeds sourced from Sumatran farmers? Any idea the environment or area it might have been growing in?

Greatdalas

Some of you may be interested in these. A few images of a strain I've worked with for almost four decades. Seed sourced from Indonesian friends around 1981. These were grown by some other friends. First time grow... stellar job indeed. Access to a full sun position sure helped. Not something I'm blessed with in my situation... sadly.

Couple of versions here. The purple flowered one (I call Purple People Eater) I crossed with a purple plant a friend was growing some years ago. It has more obvious indica traits. The other is more sativa (NLD) leaning. The PPE had two enormous colas chopped due to some mould breaking out, so these pics show it sans those clubs. The other had none. (Now there's a good sign!) Pics taken 23/2/20 down Gondwana way). They're almost done I reckon. Being a sativa bunny myself, I'm interested in how the green pheno vapes. Peace. Lj.

View Image View Image View Image View Image View Image

Wow!!! she looks very good
Too bad they can't be bought

Mimpi Manis

YoSammy said: "I am very interested in these for sure! They look amazing.Would love to give these a go myself, i am very very interested in Sumatran weed. Could you maybe elaborate about potency, aroma’s and flower time regarding these beauties? Thanks for sharing these great pictures of amazing plants".

Thanks YS. Coming for you my friend, high praise indeed. I currently have some of your work underway in Killer A5. Barely begun to flower, so its going to be a wait. I hear it's worth it.

I just wrote a detailed response, which when I posted, I found I'd been logged off. Lost the complete text. Don't quite have the stomach to do all that again right now. Quite a lot of info. Later perhaps. Appreciate the interest. Gratifying. Am interested in seeing my strain continue on. Ain't the young Hippie I used to be. I know there are rules relating to transactions in this place. If someone could explain how we might go about arranging a little quid pro quo, we'll take it from there. Peace. Lj

Yo Sammy

Veteran
YoSammy said: "I am very interested in these for sure! They look amazing.Would love to give these a go myself, i am very very interested in Sumatran weed. Could you maybe elaborate about potency, aroma’s and flower time regarding these beauties? Thanks for sharing these great pictures of amazing plants".

Thanks YS. Coming for you my friend, high praise indeed. I currently have some of your work underway in Killer A5. Barely begun to flower, so its going to be a wait. I hear it's worth it.

I just wrote a detailed response, which when I posted, I found I'd been logged off. Lost the complete text. Don't quite have the stomach to do all that again right now. Quite a lot of info. Later perhaps. Appreciate the interest. Gratifying. Am interested in seeing my strain continue on. Ain't the young Hippie I used to be. I know there are rules relating to transactions in this place. If someone could explain how we might go about arranging a little quid pro quo, we'll take it from there. Peace. Lj

Hi LJ,
I hear you when it comes to typing a long reply and losing it bc you are automatically logged out without knowing.
Some advice regarding this would be before you press the reply button make sure you copy yr writings first. If you are logged out and lost all effort you can log back in and paste yr reply.
I had it many times myself losing a long reply so i feel you.
Hope KA5Hz will tickle yr fancy! Keep us posted please!
Regarding getting more friendly:
Please send me a pm or please mail me
yosammy@protonmail.com
Thanks

therevverend

Veteran
Extremely frustrating to lose all your carefully thought out and typed ideas. Especially when you put all your juice into it, impossible to get the juice back to re-think re-type it.

Very beautiful strain. Love the magenta/pink/purple hairs. Too bad about the mold, Indica leaning plants will do that sometimes. Wish I could have seen the club. I'm surprised they're done so early, maybe the Indica influence along with selection for earlier flowering. Not even the March solstice yet. Nice work keeping around a strain worth saving.

ahortator

Veteran
Excuse me I don't want to be harsh or annoying. But those plants are too chunky to be any Sumatran landrace. I am really sorry!

Actual Sumatrans are extreme NLD looking! Even nowadays!

Compare yourself.

1520505439_la.jpg

antarafoto-pemusnahan-ladang-ganja-aceh-010416-rmd-1.jpg

ladang-ganja-aceh-1280x720.jpg

antarafoto-pemusnahan-ladang-ganja-aceh-010416-rmd-3.jpg

Mimpi Manis

You said: "Excuse me I don't want to be harsh or annoying. But those plants are too chunky to be any Sumatran landrace. I am really sorry! Actual Sumatrans are extreme NLD looking! Even nowadays! Compare yourself".

I take your point... but where did I say they are landrace? This is where my original seeds (1981) came from according to the (Muluccan) Indonesian friend who sourced them. He said Aceh. Was I conned? Doubtful... but who knows? I did very little to no outbreeding. But grew out a few other's strains once in a while. Most were mostly crap and were almost never utilized further. As I remember it at least. Accidents... who knows? Only deliberate outbreeding I've done is recently. Remember exactly all the things you did with plants from early 1980's? Remember exactly what your first now 50 year old strain looked like then? These were also inexpert times. It was not the science and art it is now, Its now almost 50 years. Its a long time. They are what they are... now.

God knows what is accessible out of Aceh these days? Like Thailand, we can only guess what has gone forever. I remember being in Penang 1979 and a local guy used to bring us Aceh weed. Even then it was regarded by the locals (and us!) as creme de la creme. Had some stellar stuff in Singapore 1972 which had to be of Aceh origin also. Seriously strong weed. Flushed 90% of the bullets - tightly wrapped brown paper cylinders - down the dunny before we headed off to UK. That hurt. (Sure missed it when we discovered the shite around in UK). Along with Thai stick, it was some of the very best weed I've ever tried. You got seeds of the strain in the images by any chance? We'll breed it back! Lj.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ Labia, how do you compare the Sumatran of the 70's and what you have now in terms of the high? I assume the old stuff was trippy in addition to being strong?

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Beautiful strains, althought you can see the NLD x BLD structure a lot. Have you outcrossed them to some hashplants? The structure turned super compact and manegeable. Hopefully they may still retain the NLD high.

I must agree with my brother Ahortator on the characteristics of untamed Indonesian genetics, he used to have a lovely Sumatran line that came from Lake Toba/Samosir area. A plant like that won't survive on a tropical equatorial jungle like the forests of Sumatra, Aceh, Gunung Leuser or Lampung wich are the traditional production areas.

I've travelled to Indonesia myself a few years ago and I've been researching on Indo ganja for a few years already. I've been discussing with some of the LGN members in Jakarta about the possible origins of Indonesian Cannabis landraces, as there are speculation that the ganja first arrived through Maluku islands into the country. Have a bunch of contacts there too growing Javanese and Lampung landraces.

They all look very different, including this Acehnese line I've collected during my trip:

gv4VUXe.jpg

buGhGqE.jpg

This male turned to full intersex of course, despite the look. This season I will run full sinsemilla with 4 beautiful females that smelled like exotic spices and citrus, with a bit of cinnamon or cardamom. Truly unique! I can't wait to see if the high lives up to my expectations.

bdpbHg1.jpg

Another different line:

C8GHFfw.jpg

Another one from Lampung, East Sumatra, full South Indian oldschool NLD look, all foxtail, airy buds:

gxZsFwh.jpg

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
I've been always fascinated by Indonesia because of its culture, diversity and ganja of course.

Local market, I used to love to get lost around all the fruit stalls and taste all those exotic beauties just before eating some local warungs:

oZ0D8Jx.jpg

tEM1hn1.jpg

I miss the local food, like this amazing Sate Ayam on a street warung, served with the traditional Es Teh Manis and Peanut sauce:

lchwbGt.jpg

5Smfm9Z.jpg

S3O8SdR.jpg

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ Nice Mustafunk. I know some Indonesians but they are Muslim so I would never ask about pot or seeds.

I am gonna try to germinate a few Sumatran seeds of the old variety. Ahortator style to be exact.

ahortator

Veteran
Hi to everybody

This was the Sumatran Tuk-Tuk line I got. The photos were taken in 2010.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I only got seeds from the bigger ones. As the two smaller plants didn't make seeds.

I used numbers for them. So the first one closer to the camera in the pics was Sumatran#1, the following Sumatran#2, Sumatran#3 close the door at the left, and the other plant at the right was Sumatran#4.

There were no males. All were intersexed females. All had odd leaves when they made more than 7 leaflets. All finished heavily attacked by powdery mildew. And most seeds refuse to sprout even a few weeks after harvesting them.

I made a later batch of seeds but all failed to germinate. So the only seeds which germinate but in very low rates are those older harvested from the plants in the pics. But only the ones labeled as Sumatran#1. Sumatran#2 and #3 don't sprout. I got 2 sprouted seeds from S#4 but one was eaten by ants, and the other died seedless.

I grew them again in these past two years. But the first time I got two plants but they refused to make seeds. So I guess the male flowers weren't fertile. A friend sent me some Khmer Gold pollen, so I chucked it over the plants white ripe pistils a few times in the following days, but they failed to make seeds. It would have been great to get Sumatran x Cambodian, as the Sumatran failed to make seeds by themselves. I took clones but all died in winter but one. I found only 2 seeds in one of those dead clones. The folowing year I got 3 more seeds sprouted. So finally I got the S#1 clone, two more from S#1 seeds, and one S#4.

This last time the S#1 clone was slightly seeded, but all the remaining plants were seedless. It is strange because all the plants were intersexed. As my new neighbours are Moroccan stoners involved in hash trafficking (as many youngters in my neighbourhood now) I cannot be sure if this time the male flowers became fertile, or if they were pollinated by stray pollen. So I must I grow them again, inspect carefully the plants and smoke the buds to be sure they are still pure.

Mimpi Manis

You said: Labia, how do you compare the Sumatran of the 70's and what you have now in terms of the high? I assume the old stuff was trippy in addition to being strong?

I'd describe it as respectably strong for an old heirloom. Relatively quick onset, stoney euphoric, long-ish lasting in a relaxing way. A little body. Not over couchy. My aim is - as I said to soneone earlier - add a little sparkle at the top end. Which is what I remember it having. A one paper racehorse could take two people for a good ride. Its morphed a little to the stoney side of the stone spectrum... if that makes sense? Not as trippy as it used to be. Its a robust, disease free, very early and reliable strain. First two weeks of March here for a good unrushed finish. Some earlier versions turn up. Typically 2 metres with excellent leaf/calyx. Nothing overly noticeable re funk or fruit. Is any of that helpful? Lj

shiroshi

ICMag Donor
Mustafunk, really like the looks of that Lampung bud!

We rode our motorcycles back and forth across Central and North Sumatra in the mid 80s. Several times in small town open markets out in the country I did a double take, where there were large dried cola hanging up amongst other dried herbs. Sold, if i recall correctly, as obat (medicine) which was eaten, i believe in a soup, rather than smoked.

The only other place in Indonesia that I ever saw cannabis openly displayed/used has been in Papua. In Ache's case it appeared to be part of their long standing herbal medical regime.

I don't doubt that the dutch may have brought cannabis to Ache as mexcurandero states above, and
I have not researched this, but I suspect cannabis had been part of the culture in the archipelago long before the dutch or other westerners arrived. Recall that the Majapajit kingdom, which was centered in Sumutra, ruled a huge area for 300 years from about the year 1300 onward. It encompassed an area including South Thailand, parts of the Philippines, all of Malaysia and Singapore and most of Indonesia. It was the major trading hub of SE Asia for centuries and was a primary trading partner with India and beyond. It was also Hindu/Buddhist/Anamist based. Early Indian trade cloth, huge Vietnamese bronze drums, and large Chinese pottery made its way far and wide across the islands and I am sure so did a few seeds.

If your interested, you should also check out Lapita culture origins - the wave of early seagoing migrants that came from Taiwan, S China and Vietnam and scattered throughout the southern islands a thousand years earlier.

Regardless of how or when it got there - Indonesia has some pretty fine herb.