What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Roots turn yellow then brown over time...

207growmaine

Greetings. First post, but really enjoyed following many threads here.

I have an issue that I'm having a hard time figuring out. When in veg (and in flower too I'm sure), after say 3 weeks or so, I cannot keep my roots white. Rather they start browning, then slowly stop drinking, and the plants slow their growth dramatically. If i transplant to a bigger pot, they are ok for a couple weeks, then start the same process over and over. I'm afraid this is happening once I'm in flower also, where my yields and quality have been struggling compared to years past.

Clones are from a cloner.

Plant in 1 gal plastic pots for 2.5 weeks.
They then go inito 5 gals plastic.
Veg lighting t5's.
Temp 76F.
RH 60%.
PH going in 6.0-6.1

Nutes-I've used house and garden soil, veg bloom, and now i'm on jack's nutrients 321. All seem to have similar results.
Well water. 110ppm.
RO'd it's at about zero. I'm using the RO to mix with Jacks.

I'm watering every other day.

The example I'll use with pics is this 1 gal plant. After about 3 weeks, they go from drinking a bunch, to slowing down drinking, to drinking very little. Roots turn brown, and you can see the plant suffering on the leaves.

Currently I'm in 5 gals for 13 days. The roots look great, and are spiralling the pots. I'm afraid in another week, they'll start doing the same thing though. :(

Any thoughts?

87305128_195043011708702_397818536883388416_n.jpg

87172079_186572136090259_1847292681282125824_n.jpg

Attachments

• 87413022_10102154885783905_8542584922613743616_n.jpg
    87413022_10102154885783905_8542584922613743616_n.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 19

Bobby Boucher

Oops. Nvm. I see you are running soil. I thought that was coco fer a sec.

Disregard. Zone will destroy the microbiology of your soil.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
1 gallon pot doesn't seem big enough and those almost seem root bound? I would move to larger pot size see if that helps any.

imakandi

hello
when water
do you take water run off far away from plant?
i see mayb asphyx, young plant you dont see because roots are up,
old plant more root, reach below, asphyxia in water, stay under water

brown go from down to up
is asphyx to me

in pots behind picture, plate for runoff is small, easy to fill with low water quantity

i see operation subject, no relation with nutrients
but
in past i have wrong too
hope to best
:)
salut

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I had that happening from a root aphid infestation. Roots turned a sickly slimy brown, I actually forgot what white roots looked like for a whole season.

You may not have root aphids tho. The above suggestion is a good place to start, I see some saucers there. Are the pots sitting in stagnant runoff water?

starke

What is your medium? In the photos it looks like soil. If soil, feeding every other day is likely your problem.

207growmaine

1. They are in saucers but I usually do not have runoff.

2. 'feeding every other day'. Feed less? or watering frequency?

3. They don't sit in water. Is there another way they can be asphyxiated?
4. I don't 'see' anything in the soil. Could the root aphids be so small I can't see them?

Thanks!

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I really do not see a problem. The roots are brown on the bottom where the water pools in the pot.

Wait until the plants start to wilt before watering and then you will know how often to water.

I would transplant and feed them, then plain water, then feed etc. Make sure to put you plain water to 6.5-6.8 same as your nutrient solution. 6.0 is too low for soil.

Water feed water feed water feed..all ph'd properly. Also might want to add a calmag additive if using RO water.

imakandi

i see problem
as cycle of vicious

bottom of root always get old water
because no run off
dead root, different ec, ph and oxygyen in the old water

water too frequency, but little quantity
bottom of pot will die
plant depend on top, only part with new water
little happy root volume
slow grow when full capacity

and too
you have cooking pot in bottom for fungu

i hope is understand

my point: more water, more run off, more space days to water, take run off away from root
luck to you
:)
:dance013:

Fitzera

I have to agree, it appears to me that the lower roots and soil were sitting in standing water/nutrient solution. That's what that colour looks like to me. Which might mean you're watering too much. Run off is fine, but I dont let my pots sit in the run off to reabsorb it. When the soil is properly hydrated throughout, there is no need to be sitting in the excess solution. Water too fast and you're going to get more runoff and less saturation. Water slowly and whatever runoff should be removed.

I dont think those are too root bound yet, I've had much more root bound plants that didnt have these problems.

Can we get a picture of the leaf issues you're seeing? That may help

207growmaine

I would agree they don't look 'that terrible' now, but they are on the decline I feel.

They occasionally have leaf curl down that you can see in one pic.

Runoff generally ph's at around 5.4-5.8.

Like i said, I don't usually have runoff for fear of over watering.

The pics hopefully show that what looks like the beginning of something. They just don't 'seem' happy and flourishing. Maybe a tad dry to the touch compared to what I'd consider leaves that were 'lush'.

86853653_220645459114622_1708142273536983040_n.jpg

86802885_2947924678767100_4923099751869579264_n.jpg

87035397_541399236481235_6023917814207741952_n.jpg

Fitzera

I think you're overthinking it, that plant doesnt look bad. Leaf clawing like that could be a little too much nitrogen but they dont have that dark N toxicity look to them.

Mr. J

If you don't water to runoff and you feed salts, you're going to run into trouble after a few weeks. Especially in promix in 5 gallon pots. After a month of doing what you're doing, watering/feeding like you are, you have no idea what the conditions are at the root zone. Likely vastly different than what's going in.

imakandi

I would agree they don't look 'that terrible' now, but they are on the decline I feel.

They occasionally have leaf curl down that you can see in one pic.

Runoff generally ph's at around 5.4-5.8.

Like i said, I don't usually have runoff for fear of over watering.

The pics hopefully show that what looks like the beginning of something. They just don't 'seem' happy and flourishing. Maybe a tad dry to the touch compared to what I'd consider leaves that were 'lush'.

View attachment 521994

View attachment 521995

View attachment 521996

hello
need to be patient in water task
take more space days, more dry time
water when plant ask

run off logic:
think of your dog pet dish
day one you put lot of food, full dish
but dog only want little, he is little dog
only eat from top
dog want more tomorrow, but food is old

ask for more, but good food, no old food pleas

you put new good food, but little, no space for more food

old food is more old now, and dog keep asking for more food, he grow big

vicious cycle
in water
best luck
plant look good no worry much
salut

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
I see roots sitting in water,water a little in the morning

You might have to water again in the middle of the light cycle because she loves water,food.

Repeat.

Because the middle of the day watering is when the soil gets dry.Almost bone dry on top and the pot is light.Give her a good soak.Then repeat in the morning like 1 cup of water.

But remember you watered it in the morning just a little bit.

When I don't do this,like water the heck out of it in the morning...she will not take any more water until the 3rd day or so as if its taking a long time to dry.

I tried to add more perlite to the soil as to drain it faster.It might cut down the drying in the soil quicker but not that much.It works but like I said..a little in the morning and again in the middle of the light cycle.The roots love this type of feeds and watering.