What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

ilovegrowing

Would a mix of coco and perlite also work? And at what ratio would you guess? Maybe there are benefits with a combination of those, although your plants look most certainly super healthy and astonishing! Dont think it needs any improvment.

How many days can you guys wait till the next watering?

FletchF.Fletch

420giveaway
Has anyone tried replacing vermiculite with rockwool croutons and having a perlite/rockwool mix? If so was there any advantages/disadvantages? I want to try the hempy method as I'm not keen on lumping coco coir bags and also disposing of root ball/coco masses have always been the bane of my life

Yes, I have grown with Rockwool and Perlite together in Hempy buckets. Have done it with both sizes of the bagged mini cubes. They work great.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
I am very happy with my Hempy Bucket experience. As mentioned these plants were grown using old school lighting: T5=>MH=>HPS. But the reason I wanted to try Hempys is to see if I have better results under my QB panel. It's been really hit or miss with it, to the point I'd somewhat given up on it (much better consistent outcomes with my COB panel). I have read others who aren't growing in soil didn't experience such a big learning curve when switching to LED. So ditching the soil seemed worth a try.

Here's a cut from a seed plant that was grown in soil under my COB panel that performed beautifully. She was happy and healthy the entire grow. The cut under the QB, not so much.

P1017782.jpeg

To the Lucas Formula I added 3ml of Botanicare's Cal-Mag+. Two days later at next watering I lowered it to 2ml. Three days later:
P1017869.jpeg

Another plant was also looking less than ideal under the QB:
P1017794.jpeg

Same treatment, six days later:
P1017876.jpeg

So response time to changes in Hempys is excellent. I have three other girls under the QB that seem fine but I have taken to supplementing the 2ml of Cal-Mag for them too. In previous grows I added extra lime and or gypsum to my soil mix to try to account for the differences under the QB but never was able to get consistent results from multi-strain grows from seed. Hempys might provide the flexibility needed, for me.

To get caught up on the first ones started, day 42:
P1017713.jpeg

P1017738.jpeg

Day 49:
P1017811.jpeg

P1017865.jpeg

Day 55:
P1017927.jpeg

P1017930.jpeg

Probably whack 'em this Wednesday, day 60.

Appreciate the discussion about different mediums because if there's one thing that sucks about this it's mixing - and transplanting into - perlite/vermiculite. No matter how carefully I do so perlite dust lands everywhere... I am considering trying Pro Mix...