What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dry sift Kief into hash?

Cvh

Supermod
You'll understand it when you experiment with it.

Here is a post I made a while back how I make dry sift. Maybe some parts are usefull for you.

Keep in mind that your material needs to be frozen while running for the best results. Dry ice can be used too if you don't want to refreeze between different runs.

For starters, I don't just use trim or fanleaves as many do.
I actually don't use trim or fanleaves. I throw it away, I use primo bud.

I trim, dry and cure my flowers first at the normal way. Sometimes I cure for many months.

I then grind up by hand (no grinder) all my flower. I then freeze it. And then proces it in a rotary drum sift aka 'kief tumbler'. The kief is collected and pressed with a pollen press and by hand into hash. Large volumes needs a pneumatic press (2 to 20 ton of pressure) and hash pressing plates.

With a tumbler I can make different grades of hash. I do it like so:

First run: 5 minutes. This kief is collected and stored seperate. This is the highest quality. Also know as the headhash or hashmakers smoke. This quality is very rarely sold on the market by any hashmaker. This is highly sought after by hashlovers. Many times it's even Bubble hash. Hash that barely leaves any ash behind.

Refreeze: (the grind up bud) for minimum 20 mins.

Second run: 15 mins. Kief is collected and stored seperate. This is class 1 hash. Or primo grade. This is the highest quality hash usually available on the market. This hash has many times also a slight bubble to it.

Refreeze: 20-60 mins. It needs to be completely frozen.

3th run: 20 mins. Kief is stored seperately. This is class 2. Medium quality.

And then I do more runs to get any remaining kief out:
Refreeze: 20-60 mins.
Run it for 20 mins.
Refreeze and Repeat until no more kief is collected.
This will be the lowest quality.

Tumblers come in many price categories and quality. Ranging from 100$ to many thousands of dollars.
The same for hash presses. They start from as low as 10$ to many thousands.

With just around 150$ (including shipping) it is possible to have a tumbler and hash press that if treated carefully can last you a lifetime.

Tumblers needs to be run at the correct speed so that it would scrape across the screen and not get pushed against the screen (and locked) because of strong centrifigual forces.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
I have a tumbler but my silk screen is completely caked, i have to replace it with a new one, Maybe i can take a air compressor to it and clean it that way?

Yeah that should be possible, give it some air and see how it goes.
If that isn't enough, maybe some rubing alch in a mister bottle. Give if a good spray and give it another blast of air, if the first wasn't enough.

F

Fermented

I've never tried cleaning gunky screens with a mister bottle and compressed air...I clean S/S or synthetic screens with alcohol, a 2"/50mm paint brush and a bowl. Dip the brush in the bowl of alc and then immediately brush the screen so the alc drips through, the more that drips through the better, brush both sides of the screen, flick the frame or cylinder dry, wipe down with a dry clean cloth and then set it aside to dry completely and it will look like new again.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I toss my bubble bags in the washing machine with no soap. Works great. SHould work with silkscreen.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
My buddy gave me a tip when i was tumbling my trim/small buds.

He said to throw a golf ball or two in the tumbler to help agitate it a bit more. I heard of people even using marbles

It worked for me when i tried this

therevverend

Veteran
The dry ice is a game changer. Increases the speed and efficiency without compromising quality. The first time my jaw dropped at how much more resin I collected.

Then I gently brush it through a couple of stainless steel test sieves. One at 160 microns, one at 45 microns. The stuff that comes out the bottom is trash, dust and whatever.

picture.php

Here's what comes out the bottom of the 45 micron sieve.

picture.php

To the naked eye it almost looks like fine resin but if you look closely it's trash.

Then I press it. Put it in plastic wrap and hand press it to make it into a ball. Then use a little heat and pressure to press it properly. If it's summer time I'll put two metal cookie sheets out in the sun for an hour to get hot. Then stand on them with the resin lump in the middle. Or put the lump in front of a space heater for a few minutes. Take a flat piece of wood and press it as hard as I can. Here's some pictures.

Hand pressed resin ball.

picture.php

Hash piece after pressing.

picture.php

Notice how glossy it is after peeling it out of the plastic wrap. That's how you know it's good. The smell will melt you. If you look close you can see the individual resin glands.

picture.php

The best time to make it is winter time. Cold is always an ally of hashish making. It slides through the screens so much easier and the plant material and dust doesn't want to stick to the resin. If you don't have dry ice try sifting in an area that's cold like a garage. Now's the perfect time of year.

I understand how nice hash oil is, how potent dabs can be. To me this is the superior product. The smell and taste. In the 90s before the oil revolution I thought hashish was the way of the future and legalization. You can't find real hashish in the Rec stores. Strange situation, you see resin powder once in a while but you rarely see fine pressed hashish the consumers don't know what they're missing.