What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aero vs dwc grow showdown

Here is the setup:

1 gorilla 5x9 tent
2 630w DE CMH lights https://www.ceramicsolutions.us
1 4x4 diy low pressure aero table- recirculating 27g res
5 18g Rubbermaid dwc totes with 6" 5g bucket net pots
Maxi bloom, orca, and cal mag plus
Relentless genetics Orange glue - 3 cuts
Dark horse genetics hulk smash - 2 cuts

Once the current crop is cut down this weekend, I'll see about kicking this off. I'll post pics of the cuts later tonight.

Hulk smash #10
picture.php

Hulk smash #1
picture.php

Welcome to the show mudraya!

This showdown isn't about harvest weight. What I'm wanting to see is if all there is any real difference in plant phenotype expression. Extra points for fastest growth rate, but its not a main concern at this point as both methods do well. All 5 cuts that are finishing bloom now will be tested by a lab for potency and two will get terps tested. This will establish baseline for evaluating the clones in this run.

I will be letting the dwc plants veg a little longer than the aero plants, so I can fill that half of the tent a little better. Pictures of the 3 Orange glues will be posted once the lights kick on this morning.

Mudraya

Nice, that's the way to do it...get them tested.

IME DWC stretch can be pretty insane, aero is even faster?

This is my first side by side grow with one of each cut in both grow systems. I am trying to be impartial, so we shall see what happens. In my opinion testing is a great was to keep records of how well things do. My only bitch about it is that there is no universal standards for testing methods and reporting results.

Ok the 4x4 table and 5 dwc buckets are loaded. They will get at least 1 more week of veg. This will allow smaller plants to get bigger and bigger plants to get a jump on training. I will be trellising the table with heavy duty wire. I'll post pictures tomorrow of the table setup. This is gonna be a fun grow. Im gonna grow some monsters! As always glad to have ya on board Starke! Palindrome welcome to the party. Starke ya better share the popcorn ha ha.

Once my other reflector gets here, I may be upping the wattage in the tent. I got my 8" hyperfan swapped in for this round. If I rig up the 1k cmh and 945w cmh and the thermometer doesn't get pegged, I may run them to see how much the girls will take.

Looks like the big plant in Dec is coming down with a touch of root rot. The roots got damaged when separating them when they were in the nursery tote. So roots will be trimmed and she should be growing new roots in a week or so. I'll also trim her back. Between the root trim and the top trim, it should give the other plants to catch up. Oh it's the Orange glue #1. If recovery is seriously delayed, I will swap it out with one of the aeroponics Orange glue #1's As I have a few extra that are healthy.

dwc plant line up is:
Orange glue #1, #2, and #6
Hulk smash #1 and #10

Update! Picture taken 2 days ago. Aero table is getting with it, dwc is slacking. Topping and scrog net are gonna happen soon. Tallest will be cut back to allow smaller plants a chance to catch up.

picture.php

picture.php

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Nice growth on the aerotable, im sure the dwc will kick in. Once the root ball's have some size, thats my experience with DWC scrog

I concur. Once roots start taking off, the top side of dwc goes crazy. I'm starting aero this time with much healthier plants and it is showing. The dwc side in The above picture has started to be trained with plant tire wire to eye screws aka my plant bondage tie downs. The aero table is drinking 2.5 gallons to 3 gallons a day at this point. This is more than they were drinking last time around. I'm expecting to have to upsize my resivour this round to keep up with them being so healthy. Roots are exploding in the aero table with no signs of trouble so far. Ph is stable, ppm is set at 700. Leas than 20 ppm fluctuation as they drink 5 to 6 gallons. I'll bump ppm a little next top off and see how they respond.

First picture- 2 days ago before topping
Second picture- 2 days ago after topping and deleafing
Third picture- tonight.

They should be going into bloom tomorrow after work. I'll top a few more taller tops, and after that's going to be off to the races. This is looking like it will be a fun trip through bloom. The plants seem to be pretty Happy in the aero table this time. I think aero is gonna make a good showing of force this time around.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Bloom started today. Resivour ppm has been upped to 900ppm for the aero table. These girls are voracious! They are drinking up to 5 gallons a day. I gave them an extra helping of maxigrow to help with the minor nitrogen deficiency that's going on as they are taking off. I've been training and topping to get the canopy as even as possible before the stretch. I'll be bending and pinching stems on the rouge growth tips as needed. Dwc roots are happy, healthy and thriving. The only slacker on that front is the hulk smash #1. She is a slow growth plant in both dwc and aero. Hopefully bloom will light a fire under her ass!

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts