What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Azasol in reservoir mix rates?

Several people have suggested using Azasol in the rez for the ultimate in organic, systemic bug prevention. I've tried Azatrol/Azamax in the past, and it was a massive failure due to the oils making the rez into a gooey stew. Azasol comes as a powder and is water-soluble, so it's *perfect* in the rez, right?

Here's the problem: I can't figure out what the appropriate dosage is. The directions for it only talk about foliar or injection mix rates, neither of which seem appropriate for hydro use. A 3/4 oz. package makes 5-25 gallons of sprayable solution, but at $70/package it would cost me almost $200 to treat my 55 gallon rez (since the total system capacity is closer to 75 gallons). That's ridiculously expensive, especially since that will only last 2 weeks before the solution gets dumped.

Has anyone done this successfully? Any clue what the proper mix rate is?

I ended up calling the manufacturer, and they said to use the same dilution rates as for foliar applications. As I stated previously, that makes no sense financially. The tech support guy did say that because their is no oil at all in their product, and it is completely water-soluble, using it as a foliar spray will result in significant translaminar activity, and that it should remain persistent in the plant for 10-14 days. This is far longer than Azamax/Azatrol/neem, but it doesn't really make it truly systemic. In addition, while adding it to the hydro solution would allow it to be used later in bloom, I still wouldn't feel comfortable spraying it on developing buds past week 2 in flower.

Back to the drawing board.

Dankstang

I'm interested in a one all borg killer that I can put in my rdwc.

What about avid?

Or eagle 20 for pm?

One Dream

I know is an old Thread but I am interested to see if anyone has used Azasol with success... I am having mites issues and they are kicking my ass....

Thanks

Joe

MrMMJ

AzaSol works great ! , completely soluble and no oily mess ! Even better when mixed with Spinosad.
I've alternated between it, a canola oil/pyrethrin spray ( much lighter oil than the clarified neem/pyrethrin product ) and compost teas with success.

Most products will work...., the key is a strict, consistent 3 day schedule with 100% coverage. 99% is as good as none. Fogging type sprayers work best.

I've also in the past added 1 packet of azasol to the rez of a rdwc ( approx. 120 gal ) and had success with white flys and gnats in my net pots and under the lids.

Good luck !

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Aza-Sol is azadirachtin, so please be sure to inform those you share your cannabis with about your using aza. I'm one of those who would likely end up in the ER after taking a dab or two. ;)

Personally, I use HEPA air filtration and clean management practices. I no longer use any kind of systemic or anything else during flower.

troutman

Seed Whore
I bought neem oil last year for the 1st time and didn't like it.

It smells bad and makes an oily mess.

MrMMJ

Aza-Sol is azadirachtin, so please be sure to inform those you share your cannabis with about your using aza. I'm one of those who would likely end up in the ER after taking a dab or two. ;)

Personally, I use HEPA air filtration and clean management practices. I no longer use any kind of systemic or anything else during flower.

I can appreciate your concern , especially considering you seem to be particularly sensitive to neem. Glad you were able to find a way to end a long suffering ! How were you exposed for such a long period ? What symptoms do you get that necessitate an ER visit ? That's gotta be scary....
Obviously neem can be ingested safely by most people , it seems more study needs to be done on the heating and inhalation side. ( What compounds are produced and what are their effects ? )

Neem in general, and particularly the non-oil based, water soluble isolate azadirachtin found in azasol have a short residual time and are non-systemic. No amount will be present in flowers grown from a plant treated during the vegetative stage. I would gladly explain the what's and why's of everything I do to anyone who asked, but see no need to inform others of a nonexistent threat. Thankfully the need to battle bug infestations have been rare, but when they have occurred, I'm comfortable with, and had success with, the method I described.

The OP wondered about azasol in a res. I can only say I tried it once, mixing one packet in 120+ gal rdwc. Within 2 days the flys under my lids and on the net pots were dead. Hardly a conclusive study, can't say if it was even the cause....take it FWIW !

Personally, I'm more concerned with the idiot wanting to put avid in their res.....wtf?
Good luck !

Bobby Boucher

After a large batch of bho turned out acrid and sulfuric on our end, the broker blamed us for not telling him we were rinsing the nugs, and insisted that commercial outdoor and light-dep should never be blasted without first being tested for residual pesticides and herbicides, if at all.

Made a lot of sense to me. If you are going to use chemicals on this hyper-accumulator, the best thing to do is to use the end-product in edibles so that the liver has a chance to filter the toxins. Second best option is to smoke it as a nug and hope that your nugget didn't get a particularly hot shot of some eagle or physan or whatever the hell.

The worst thing you can do is to make concentrate from sprayed weed. The poison is in the dose.

I don't know if this would hold true if the pesticides are only used in the res or soil, but whatever you do, don't blast sprayed weed. And if you spray your weed, make sure your customers aren't blasting it.

Gross af.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I can appreciate your concern , especially considering you seem to be particularly sensitive to neem. Glad you were able to find a way to end a long suffering ! How were you exposed for such a long period ? What symptoms do you get that necessitate an ER visit ? That's gotta be scary....
Obviously neem can be ingested safely by most people , it seems more study needs to be done on the heating and inhalation side. ( What compounds are produced and what are their effects ? )
California and Colorado (and I'm sure other places), are full of azadirachtin tainted cannabis. Neem, neem meal and aza extracts are the go-to pesticides for mites and other cannabis pests. Nasty poison with cannabis.

Actually, it seems most (definitely not all) people suffering from CHS are actually having a reaction to the azadirachtin in neem. As more states become legal states, and growers in them begin sharing info and pests, the use of azadirachtin goes up. The rates of CHS cases also goes up. The number of people who have actual CHS seems to be very low.

Neem in general, and particularly the non-oil based, water soluble isolate azadirachtin found in azasol have a short residual time and are non-systemic. No amount will be present in flowers grown from a plant treated during the vegetative stage.
This may be true of other plants. Cannabis, on the other hand, absorbs the azadirachtin molecule and prevents it from breaking down. I have proven this in my own experiments with both sprayed and systemically applied aza. The azadirachtin was present after a full 60 days of flower. Zero doubts, the difference between treated and control plants was night and day. Having had contact with many growers and info on their methods, further testing has proven even a light application 2 weeks before flower can cause CHS symptoms after a week or so of constant use of the end product.

In addition, neem meal amendments can last for several years in clay based soils. I've had exposure to cannabis grown in the same soil for multiple years after neem meal was no longer used. I can literally tell the difference in years by the reaction I have. Cannabis+neem is rather poisonous for a large percentage of the population.

The safety standards for neem oil were based on exactly zero studies using plants with characteristics like cannabis. The testing was done without cannabis and without people. All of the 'neem is safe' studies have zero relevance to cannabis.
:tiphat: