What's new

Cuttings In Perlite >>

EHP

HOW:
This is my illustrated explanation of how to do it so you too can root cuttings with the same degree of success.

WHAT YOU NEED:

Click for Larger Image

Click for Larger Image

All you need to have a go at this method of propagation is a small container, such as the bottom section of a lemonade bottle (illustrated), yogurt pot or ice cream tub... the other elements being Perlite & Water.

METHOD:

Click for Larger Image

Place sufficient Perlite into the Container so that it will support the cutting and hold it in a vertical position whilst it develops a root system. You could completely fill the container, but I prefer to add approximately one inch of perlite, then add ordinary tap water. The container is then ready to receive your cuttings.

FINALLY:

Click for Larger Image

The cutting(seedling pictured is roughly 1"), is then immersed up to the top pair of leaves in the water, supported by the Perlite. Water is changed if and when needed. After 7+ days a weak nutrient solution can be added to provide nutrients to the cutting. Keep out of direct sunlight.

IS THAT A SEEDLING IN THERE? :D

Last edited:

EHP

HOT CARGO...

what was the longest time you let it grow like that?

14+ days.

Stuper Grower...

Do you use rooting powder when you do this?

No

How long does it usually take to root? Thanks looks good!

Depends what size cutting you use. I'm in no rush so 14+ days is the norm... good root formation and ready to go.

This method of passive hydroponics can be used for the whole grow from start to finish.

HOW:

1. 2 buckets (one smaller than other).

2. "bucket A" with plenty of "drainage holes" sits elevated inside "bucket B"... 2" elevation will do. "Bucket A" also needs a lid.

3. Cut an hole in the lid of "bucket A" (as with DWC buckets). Into this hole place net pot filled with clay medium.

4. "bucket A" is filled with perlite (must cover bottom 1-2" of net pot).

5. Fill "bucket B" with nutes(lets say 4" deep. Maintain near this level).

6. You can feed manually or by drip irrigation system.

As a rooting medium, perlite is superior to rockwool. The outstanding feature of perlite is the ease with which a constant supply of water and nutrients can be maintained in the substrate simply by placing the plant container in a shallow reservoir of nutrient solution. Perlite's strong capillary attraction for water automatically draws up solution from the reservoir at the same rate that water is removed by the plants. Nutrient enriched water is trapped in the tiny irregularities on the surface pf perlite particles where it is available for use by plant roots. Excess solution remains in the reservoir. The ease with which an optimum moisture level can be maintained around roots is the key to perlite's success and it is a significant advantage over rockwool which has less capillarity.

Rockwool is close to being waterlogged at its maximum water-holding capacity, when it can hold as much as 85% water by volume and, hence, too little air for optimum root development and growth. Perlite's free-draining nature means that it retains less than half this amount of water. Roots in perlite are always well aerated and well watered.

In contrast to perlite, the moisture content of rockwool fluctuates from too wet (just after watering) to too dry (just before watering). To minimize such fluctuations, growers using rockwool must resort to a 'little-and-often' watering routine.

RE-USE:

Perlite is physically stable and, unlike rockwool, will retain its excellent air/water balance for many years if handled carefully. Sterilization may be necessary.

Summary:

1. Horticultural perlite provides more constant moisture status around the roots at all times irrespective of stage of root growth.

2. Perlite ensures more even watering throughout the growing area.

3. There is less likelihood of over-watering with horticultural perlite.

4. Perlite culture avoids wastage of water and nutrients.

HAPPY GROWING :D :p

Last edited:

Lifter

hey EHP . Thats an interesting method ya got there, nice and simple, no mess(unless it gets knocked over):eek: I wonder how fast they would root with an airstone in the bottom. I use a small rubbermaid container with two 5" airstones hooked up to one dual outlet airpump. i've seen roots within 4 days without any powder or gel. I'll have to give this way a try though.

Pete

I assumed this was a thread on cloning, but why in the last picture you've posted in the initial thread do you call it a seedling, and it looks like one? Are you meaning to say germinating in perlite, or are you actually putting cut CLONES in there?

P

Hippo

Pete has a point, seedlings and clones are very differant in the way they act.
I wouldn't recomend sitting a seedling in such a water logged enviroment, not saying it dont work, just that seedlings dont like to be sat in a puddle from my experiance.
However, the cloning method seems sound and i also use perlite sometimes for cuttings, atm i use rockwool for the nft and a cheap aerocloner i made for the cuttings that i put in hydroton/buckets, until i made the aerocloner though i used perlite for the cuts for the buckets and it worked well for me with minimal losses. :)
Hippo

EHP

YES this threads primary concern is cuttings

YES this threads primary concern is cuttings

well Pete/Hippo i appreciate your concern,rightly so :D but really there is no need for concern. Let me explain...EVERY seed is germinated using this method. Start off with a glass of warm water...place seed/s into water...place glass into propagator... once the seed has tail of approximately 1/4" remove shell and place into perlite. SIMPLE...

Perlite does NOT become water logged...it is ROCKWOOL that becomes water logged. Read above :)

TokerBabe

Thanks for this EHP!

Ive been messing around with diff cloning methods. Im trying some perver now. And here's another method. Thanks:D

-TB

EHP

Hey no problem... it's a pleasure. Please make donations payable to PO BOX------- :D :D :D :p

Last edited:

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been testing this method out for a week now. The cuttings are healthy without even being covered, the water has never been changed (it's been topped off once), and the stem is starting to grow the bumps that turn into roots. So, it looks like this is a VERY GOOD way to clone. VERY SIMPLE!!! You coul shove 10-12 clones in a single cup if you wanted. This takes away the troubles of cloning straight in water, where there's nothing holding them uprights, and there's no vehicle for oxygen to enter the water. The perlite allows oxygen to get in methinks...

Good technique, I clone this way now, and will throw away all my cloning chambers in favor of this method. Thanks for sharing the info :D

cc

G

ok, i got a question, for this method, or any cloning in general. What light/humidity/temperature do you want clones to be at?
I am planning on taking some cuttings within this upcoming week, and am planning on using this method... just curious about environment settings
thanks

seeds..

seeds..

i will be trying this method with germinating seeds.. just a quick question for you...

when you do seeds, do you put them in water first and wait for them to root or can you just throw them right in the perlite/water?

im going to get pick up some perlite tomorrow and see what happens.. Will try some BOG LS seeds in there.

thanks, and ill keep everyone posted as to how the seedlings like this method

EHP

Crazy Composer -
Good to know those cuttings are fine & healthy :) used many methods of cloning/germinating seeds... these are by far the easiest hastle-free methods EVER. Success rate is VERY HIGH.

Happy Growing :D

BobDull -
Never payed that much attention as to humidity/temps (depends on location etc... too many variations to be specific)... sit them in a propagator near a window (out of direct sunlight)... they'll do just fine. Once rooted place under fluoros.

diggity-dank -
Place seeds into glass of water... place glass into propagator... seeds that are viable will begin to root.. be patient. You can wait until they have 1/4" or 1/2" tails before placing into perlite/water or soil. Before placing into perlite or soil remove the shell VERY CAREFULLY then GENTLY place root into your chosen medium leaving the "head" above ground level. Place under fluoros... 12" from light should be sufficient... once seedling produces two sets of green leaves move it closer to light.

SING ALONG NOW.... :eek:
Plough the fields and scatter the good seed of the land :D :D :D

Latest posts

Latest posts