What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Veggin Delights

DrJay2001

now at peace
We use grow bags all the way through both veg and flower. I'm old fashioned and hand water/feed every day. We would love to have a constant feed system with a resevoir but we just can't where the garden is.

Great ratio of female to male Flowerman and those plants look HEALTHY. I think the health of the plants means nearly everything (aside from genetic limitations) in terms of yield, taste, and potency.

Yours,
Dr. Jay

Flowerman

Dr.Jay, I think health is so important, and I think it plays a big role in the sex as well. I've noticed anytime I stress or top early, I always seem to have a higher male count. When they all come out healthy, no topping the first time around, I seem to always get at least a 75% female ratio. Don't know if this is true or not, but it seems that way over the years anyway. Another reason if I do any sativa dominant strains from seed, I always bend the tops, instead of just cutting them. I also think genetics play a certain role as well, but health and their happiness will reward any grower greatly.

Flowerman

Here's a few shots from the other day. I can only upload to this forum at 100k, but this gives you an idea of their beauty.

555TST-Gfemale5UK.jpg

Flowerman

Getting ready to take some cuttings. I have a total of 18 plants I need to take cuttings from. I like to take 5 cuttings of each, so that’s around 90 cuttings. If I find a few mums that stand out, those will be the cuttings I keep, the rest I will discard. So I’m in the process of making a bigger cloner. This one has enough room for 99, my old one only 35. I still have to file off some burrs, but here it is in its infancy. 22x16x6

55522x16x6UK-med.jpg

Flowerman

diggity-dank said:
what do you use to hold the cuttings in the cloner?
Nothing, just drop them in the holes and that's about it. The small leaves gives them all the support they need. I noticed some people put tube in, but for myself, I see no need.
I have a thread somewhere here on my other cloner that is smaller here, and goes into more detail. But this is all you need to do. I use to just drop them in a glass of water, and they would root in about 2 or 3 weeks, this actually speeds it up some, and I usually get almost 100% to root this way. I also just use a pair of nice, clean sharp pair of scissors, and just cut at a 45 degree angle and slap them in. Haven't bothered with the blades in over a year. Also they don't need alot of light, you can put them in the far corner of the room, or under low light flo's. But I never want them directly under high wattage lights, unless they are buried under the canopy where the light can taper off some. But they'll get 24 hours of indirect light, and they should root just fine. I do add about 3 caps full of cloning solution, for the big cloner, maybe 6 caps full. Don't use alot of PH down, as this will either delay things some, and can cause the stem to get real mushy. I do use a few droplets though, as my PH is way up there. The best thing to do is to get some RO water, or some bottled water that comes in the jugs from like walmart or any big store. I forgot the name, it's still early for me, lol. But it's PH is balanced.
555clonetops.jpg

Farmer John, thanks for the kind words.

Last edited:

Lifter

Flowerman,
Thats a very inspirational garden. What is your soil and nutrient amendments? There so green! :cool: great pictures too.

Flowerman

Lifter said:
Flowerman,
Thats a very inspirational garden. What is your soil and nutrient amendments? There so green! :cool: great pictures too.

Thanks Lifter, nothing special, just alot of love. I haven't even started to feed them yet. But my medium is pretty hot, and I've already transplanted 3 times into fresh hot medium. My medium consist of:
50% MG potting mix
25% Perlite
25% Wormcastings

During flowering I will use some bat guano(Jamaican) tea, and if I'm in a hurry and don't hae the tea ready, I do use drops of liquid schultz, 10/15/10, and depending if they need a little more I'll use pure bloom. But it's just an eye thing if and when the need it. They show me, and I'll provide it. A motto I like to use with them.

Flowerman

Thanks Zep.;) These are all the ladies. Flowering will start very soon. The one thing I have learned with growing these out, and others like them(auto). As long as the lights stay on for 20+, and you never let the roots get cramp, they do just fine, though I was worried about that in the beginning. After working with Beauty & the Beast, it's best to keep them growing quick like in a hydrobucket if you plan on keeping them around some. But so far, all of these have been a joy to grow, and have been real easy, and they clone just as good. I have around 80 cuts going right now. So far about 30% are showing nice size roots. Hopefully by Wed or so of next week, all should be fully rooted. But I have 16 sweet lookin ladies getting ready to get it on, lol.;)

G

Those are definitely some happy plants you got there Flowerman. Just curious, how much Jam. guano do you use in your teas?

Flowerman

Today was actually their first day of getting fed some tea or any ferts so far. There's a few ways to make it, but how I make mine is like this, I simply get a coffee filter, put in about 3 big scoops, then I wrap it up, usually with a twisty tie, or rubberband. But the twisty ties for trash bags give me something to hold it by. Then I just put this in a gallon of water. I let it sit out for a day or 2, swishing it around, then I divide it up between 4 other gallon jugs, adding water to them of course. But this way, I can feed once every week without burning. I don't feed alot, cause my medium still has plenty of juice in it. The last week of flowering I don't feed at all. But I always go by the plant, if it's hungry for more food, I will feed it.

S

smotpoker

you definitly have the touch flowerman, your plants look beautiful. hopefully i can dial in my grow to achieve your level of success. i have a couple questions though, concerning your cloner and compost tea.

1. for the cloner, do you use airstones to oxygenate the water?

2. after the roots develop on the clones, they arent damaged when you pull em out of the hole?

3. about the compost tea, do you oxygenate that water? or let it sit and brew stagnate?

thanks for posting the awesome grow! peace

smotpoker

BaKeMan

Very nice set-up Flowerman, you have a green thumb !
Those ladies look really healthy, They look wonderful !
Keep up the great pic's.
-BaKe

-Great grows to you !

Flowerman

Thanks everyone!;)
smotpoker, I have two 1" airstones, with one double airline pump. It's been a little cool, so I had to put a heat mat under the clone tubber. But here's a recent pic of them taking root.

555Roots1UK.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts