What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

California's first-quarter cannabiz tax revenue is 80% below what the state projected

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Gov. Jerry Brown had predicted $175 million for the first half of the year, according to the state's seed counters, aka the Legislative Analyst's Office. What went wrong, dude?

Local cities get a chance to make buyers render unto Caesar. Those rates run from 5 to 15 percent. Oakland's is 9.25 percent, Berkeley and Richmond are 5 percent.

Add it all up and the tax rates compound the expense. Consumers are paying as much as 45 percent in taxes when purchasing legal grass for recreational purposes. Buyers would rather hit up the black market.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2018/05/10/california-cannabis-tax-revenue.html

Medfinder

Chemon 91

theJointedOne

Veteran
This data will be used by the state and lobbyists to wage war on medical cannabis and medical dispensaries. My guess is they will eventually lower the taxes a bit, but at the same time outlaw any non recreational dispensaries, and lobby local municipalities to ban homegrown. It's already happening, they want tax revenue, at any cost.

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is just another world to us in the UK, as we can be prosecuted for just growing one plant. A real crime in my opinion.
Anyway, maybe peeps in California are too baked to remember their tax returns? :biggrin:

No offence :tiphat:

Medfinder

Chemon 91
32 SHOPS closed...

City attorney launches crackdown on illegal pot shops in Los Angeles
On Wednesday, Los Angeles City Atty. Mike Feuer and Los Angeles police officials announced the filing of 36 criminal cases involving 140 people and 32 shops as part of a citywide crackdown on unlicensed marijuana dispensaries.

Lt. Stacy Spell of the LAPD’s Gang and Narcotics Division said the department since Jan. 1 has made 160 arrests, served 54 search warrants, seized about $300,000 and removed 29 guns from the street.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-unlicensed-pot-shops-20180530-story.html

Gry

Was wondering why I had been seeing a lot of new but small places over the past couple of years.
Penalty for a 'pirate store' being 1000 bucks and six months in jail, and the city will apparently send a number of cease and desist letters prior to taking action.

soil margin

Veteran
Yeah black market is definitely still thriving. People selling outdoor on craigslist for like $5/g here in socal.

Bumbatar

How long will it be before Laura Ingram has this catastrophe on her Fox news show? Cuz last time she said she was closely monitoring the situation.

green404

Politics and financial agendas same old song and dance

1- Create a “problem”-missing money = Not really missing just did not meet unrealistic “projections”.
2- Create a villain “black market” = Not flowing money to the the top 1%.

Setting the stage to get some money for “enforcement” to stop the evil “black” villains. In the end the 1% will get some more profits and all will be,,,? the same.

troutman

Seed Whore
I like the way Governments predict and know how much drug money they should make.

It's like they've been drug dealing for a long time and know the score. :peek:

Bluto

I am currently in SOHUM. It's been interesting to watch people attempt to play by the rules.
It has created a huge shake up. Most weed growers from back in the day we're radical anti establishment types, who relish working in the black market because that was a perfect way to not pay taxes. I am a son of the American Revolution. Taxation by Uncle Sam is something I abhor. It takes X amount to "pay to play" in California. Everyone is broke from lasts years glut. I believe in Humbolt they project 1% of potential grows registered. People who half assed paper work where the first round to get the dreaded "letter". The fines are insane for non compliance, and stack day by day. A lot of people are getting scared right out. I'm an old school guerilla grower so shuffling plants at night is no big whoop. A lot of enforcement is done via satellite and involves things like road grading, no state water meter. 10,000 a day. They stack all the infractions and use it as a means to steal your land.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Well to me it sounds as if now that Cali. is legalized more and more people are going to jail.
I thought the main reason to vote yes to legalize was to keep citizens out of jail.
That is not the case is it?
So I still say Vote No to legalize cannabis before it is too late!
It seems it may be too late for some states already, Cali. could have done better.

green404

Well to me it sounds as if now that Cali. is legalized more and more people are going to jail.
I thought the main reason to vote yes to legalize was to keep citizens out of jail.
That is not the case is it?
So I still say Vote No to legalize cannabis before it is too late!
It seems it may be too late for some states already, Cali. could have done better.

Let me guess you made a living from inflated contraband prices that are gone now ?

Your twisted logic is false, weak and lame.

People in Cali can now walk into a store buy cannabis go home and smoke it legally. The way it should be.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Let me guess you made a living from inflated contraband prices that are gone now ? Why is that the go to reply???
No that is not true at all, I am just a broke ass cannabis consumer with a tiny personal grow!

Your twisted logic is false, weak and lame. May I say the same of yours...LOL

People in Cali can now walk into a store buy cannabis go home and smoke it legally. The way it should be.
And more and more people are going to prison everyday under legalization is that how it shoud be????

Read up on my threads that I posted on the subject a few years back and you will see my true motivation.
Or you can just throw out insults, that is always productive...LOL
This type of Legalization is a joke.
But you will soon see this play out for you.
Cali. is already getting over run by big cannabiz and quickly forming a monoply on cannabis as we speak.
Look who has all the licensees to grow right now, how many have multiple?
Sounds like your down for corporate cannabis, mail order here we come.
Well you can have it, not me!

Easy7

Veteran
Something as simple as a plant being political. Opium was a source lf friction as well. Still is.

Maybe if they didin't try to keep all the 'criminals' from the biz. That in itself excludes lot's of people that inturn rely on the black market.

green404

And more and more people are going to prison everyday under legalization is that how it shoud be????

Prison for what ? Not common MJ consumption and possession.

Read up on my threads that I posted on the subject a few years back and you will see my true motivation.
Or you can just throw out insults, that is always productive...LOL
This type of Legalization is a joke.
But you will soon see this play out for you.
Cali. is already getting over run by big cannabiz and quickly forming a monoply on cannabis as we speak.
Look who has all the licensees to grow right now, how many have multiple?
Sounds like your down for corporate cannabis, mail order here we come.
Well you can have it, not me!

Legalization is a process. Of course it is going to be regulated everything is regulated in commercial realms.

You obviously have a dog in the race. Yes, the cannabis industry will get monopolized just like every commercial product in the world.
I could care less about the "small cannabis grower" they only survived because they to a risk, the risk is gone. Go bye, we are done paying the inflated prices.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow! I am shocked the taxes are too low! This is almost as weird as Oklahoma legalizing medical pot.

We all knew this was coming right? A plant just about anyone can grow outdoors for next to nothing in expense. 'Black market disappear now, I command it!' Pot Genie has spoken.

shaggyballs, I find it hard to believe you do not sell pot but if do not you have high standards. The law as it stands now is not what I want, but it will work till something better arrives. I no longer worry about the man coming to check my grow. I did worry under medical.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Wow! I am shocked the taxes are too low! This is almost as weird as Oklahoma legalizing medical pot.

We all knew this was coming right? A plant just about anyone can grow outdoors for next to nothing in expense. 'Black market disappear now, I command it!' Pot Genie has spoken.

shaggyballs, I find it hard to believe you do not sell pot but if do not you have high standards. Not really, just grow enough for me and the wife, if I were to sell any I would have to buy it later so that would be silly. You guys and your personal attacks whats up with that. The law as it stands now is not what I want, but it will work till something better arrives. It will only get worse don't fool your self it will not get better you will see look at Canada things are getting better there everyday, oops no they are getting worse. I no longer worry about the man coming to check my grow. I did worry under medical.

Check out warrent-less compliance checks you may be suprised that the man may still be coming round to check on your compliance, that has not changed you may be misinformed.

Oh and why are people still going to jail you ask green404?
Well I will suggest again to read up on the subject a little bit.
My threads have a lot of facts but if your not interested in them, thats cool you can find your own materail to read.
But fact is fact.

Latest posts

Latest posts