What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Side by side grow. 630 CMH vs 1000HPS

King Rat

alright this thread finally convinced me switching to cmh for the next grow.
I'm about to replace a 600W Philips GreenPower
What would you guys prefer? 2x 315 CMH or 1x 630 DE CMH?
I have 3100K and 4200K to choose from.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Another great side by side idea!

I also really want to see a side by side with a single 315 in one tent and a single 600 hps in another. I've heard that the cmhs work better when the 315s foot prints overlap like issack's setup.
Not sure if that changes anything but it would be cool to see if yield is as drastically different.

LungCooking

picture.php

i love this pic!

Dirt Bag

It depends on your application. In most cases multiple 315s are preferable, however if you have the headroom and the money, Growers Choice as well as Nanolux make 1000w DE CMH. These are extremely powerful but have about a third of the lifespan of 315w bulbs. This is because each ceramic arc tube is a slightly different voltage from the next. When they're in series they all receive the same voltage which overpowers one (not enough to see) and causes premature deterioration.
Multiple points of light create less hot spots and improves canopy penetration. Currently no 315 bulb even comes close to the output of the Philips Greenpower Agro 930. From all I can gather, a whole bunch of vertical 315 Philips is the way to go, and also the most expensive. We've settled on the same ones Isaack and SG have, Nanolux 630. Good luck!

Oh, BTW, there's a sunplix de 630 cmh on Amazon for $146! No shit.

I've been rocking 2 630w de cmh in a 5x9 gorilla tent for over a year now. These lights are killing it. Great penetration, less heat to deal with vs hps, and the plants love it. No problems exceeding 1gpw even with multi strain grows.

I also really want to see a side by side with a single 315 in one tent and a single 600 hps in another. I've heard that the cmhs work better when the 315s foot prints overlap like issack's setup.
Not sure if that changes anything but it would be cool to see if yield is as drastically different.
A single 315 is in no way comparable to 600 watts of hps. I ran one along with 200w of supplemental LED and it only yielded two thirds of what I normally get in the same setup with 600w of hps. I now run 2 x 315 in the same setup and it is about equivalent to my hps in terms of yield. The plants stretch much less, the buds are more leafy but have better frost and terps. As expected, heat output is about the same as wattage is similar.

King Rat

It depends on your application. In most cases multiple 315s are preferable, however if you have the headroom and the money, Growers Choice as well as Nanolux make 1000w DE CMH. These are extremely powerful but have about a third of the lifespan of 315w bulbs. This is because each ceramic arc tube is a slightly different voltage from the next. When they're in series they all receive the same voltage which overpowers one (not enough to see) and causes premature deterioration.
Multiple points of light create less hot spots and improves canopy penetration. Currently no 315 bulb even comes close to the output of the Philips Greenpower Agro 930. From all I can gather, a whole bunch of vertical 315 Philips is the way to go, and also the most expensive. We've settled on the same ones Isaack and SG have, Nanolux 630. Good luck!

Oh, BTW, there's a sunplix de 630 cmh on Amazon for $146! No shit.

thank you so much for that reply.

from all informations i gathered and what is offered here its pricewise the same for me wether i take 2x 315cmh or 1x 630 cmh DE

I have 2 adjust a wings laying around and the 315's are sold with an adapter to use.

are 315's safe running in open fixtures?
the 630 DE is clearly stating that it was build "explosive proof" to run in open fixtures.

maybe i guess i better contact the manufacturer

Dirt Bag

I've been rocking 2 630w de cmh in a 5x9 gorilla tent for over a year now. These lights are killing it. Great penetration, less heat to deal with vs hps, and the plants love it. No problems exceeding 1gpw even with multi strain grows.

Which brand fixtures and bulbs?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
A single 315 is in no way comparable to 600 watts of hps. I ran one along with 200w of supplemental LED and it only yielded two thirds of what I normally get in the same setup with 600w of hps. I now run 2 x 315 in the same setup and it is about equivalent to my hps in terms of yield. The plants stretch much less, the buds are more leafy but have better frost and terps. As expected, heat output is about the same as wattage is similar.

This is why I asked, wanted to see what everyone said. I guess it really depends on environment and such. My buddy went from an air cooled 600 hps to non cooled 315 LEC and is killing it. Maybe the glass from air cooled is another variable. We noticed that the heat was about the same, but plants looked way healthier. Seemed to fade "prettier". Slight improvement in yield, but less watts.
Anybody have two 4x4s to run a side by side?

Scrappy-doo

What I'd like to see is one of these people claiming cmh can't compete with hps, like heather or natural, to document a side by side to show us all why they weren't able to get the same result as issack. I think THAT would be an interesting read!

coldcanna

Veteran
These are the real deal, at the facility I'm at we have old school single ended hps, gavitas, and a couple dozen of the 630cmh. Plants under cmh are noticeably greener and healthier overall. 8cmh over a 4x18' = over 2.5lb's per 4x4 space, 1gpw

What I'd like to see is one of these people claiming cmh can't compete with hps, like heather or natural, to document a side by side to show us all why they weren't able to get the same result as issack. I think THAT would be an interesting read!
You have to be kidding? A 600w hps puts out 90,000 lumens whilst a 315w cmh only produces around 30,000. I would not waste an entire grow cycle on this when I have alreasdy done it with the inclusion of supplemental LED, and it still failed to compete. Maybe it's your turn to show us what they can do?

CMH are not miracle lights and they lack serious horsepower as a stand alone light. A 600w hps is the most efficient hps size in terms of lumens/watt, and have many advantages over 1000w hps, especially in smaller setups or where height is limited. For example, because of the significant hotspot a 1000w hps produces, some of their output is wasted due to an over intensity directly below the light.

With all due respect for issack and his impressive growing skills, a proper controlled experiment would use identical shades on both sides, the same or very similar wattage for each shade, and a light screen to eliminate transfer of light between sides.

Another point about making comparisons between lights is that different strains have different light requirements. I have found personally that sativa's need a lot of light, whereas many indica's seem to prefer a lower intensity. I notice that the Pineapple chunk is described by Barneys as 80% indica, so it may have responded well to the cmh light, but others strains may respond differently.

coldcanna

Veteran
CMH are not miracle lights and they lack serious horsepower as a stand alone light.

I've personally hit 1gpw multiple times with multiple strains across the sativa/indica spectrum using CMH, that is about as good as most people are getting with any DE HPS systems.

It really depends on your environment which one you use; lower headspace situations you can run a higher count of CMH's and slam em' closer to the canopy. If you're working with warehouse ceilings and can hang the gavitas up high you will hit the same yields and be able to run less fixtures.

At the end of the day your going to arrive at the same GPW it just depends on your particular application whats right for you.