What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hipmarket downloading data

R

Robrites

Every time I open a page on ICMAG, I am getting data from hipmarket dot com.
Who the hell is hipmarket and why is ICMAG allowing them to download data to my computer?

R

Robrites

Found only 1 review

"Visiting this site may lead to negative visitor experience due to the past actions of the owners of this site which may include: distribution of malware, drive by viral downloads, or spamming."

Skip

Veteran
That's our site that puts the ads on this site. So yes, "data" is coming from there to serve the banner. We are not taking your data.

Did you get a link with that notice to challenge the report? Also what browser are you using? or what reported this?
Thanks for reporting it.

We were hacked once on that site about 10 yrs ago... someone has a long memory apparently.

Last edited:
R

Robrites

That's our site that puts the ads on this site. So yes, "data" is coming from there to serve the banner. We are not taking your data.

Did you get a link with that notice to challenge the report? Also what browser are you using? or what reported this?
Thanks for reporting it.

We were hacked once on that site about 10 yrs ago... someone has a long memory apparently.
Does "our site" mean a site icmag owns?
I use the Firefox browser.
Firefox says "transferring data from hipmarket.com"

If I click on the banner, I expect to get a tracking cookie from hipmarket and what ever site they send me to. I get one just from viewing icmag. That ain't cool, that ain't right. Weed is legal where I live but is not legal in most places.

It is child's play for Law Enforcement to get data from hipmarket and prosecute the majority of icmag users.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Ever notice how you can search google for a lawn mower, then Facebook shows you lawnmower ads?

Hip Market is a cannabis product seller. If they have an ad, they'll drop a cookie on your PC. They can't read anyone else's cookies, but they can, and many cases do share cookie data with others in exchange for some in return. Especially the ad broker (the company feeding the ads).

You could also be hijacked. Get PAID virus software (like norton).

R

Robrites

Ever notice how you can search google for a lawn mower, then Facebook shows you lawnmower ads?

Hip Market is a cannabis product seller. If they have an ad, they'll drop a cookie on your PC. They can't read anyone else's cookies, but they can, and many cases do share cookie data with others in exchange for some in return. Especially the ad broker (the company feeding the ads).

You could also be hijacked. Get PAID virus software (like norton).
I am pretty security conscious (that is why I noticed hipmarket) and do have paid programs for protection. I just do not think it is acceptable for a website of this nature (icmag) to allow third party cookies just for viewing the site. If I click on an ad, then sure...

Just while writing the above, 3 times my browser has informed me that it is connecting to hipmarket.com. and now again..

Skip

Veteran
Yes, everytime it refreshes a banner it links to hipmarket to load it, so what?
Do you have a cookie from hipmarket on your computer, or are you freaking out over nothing?

If you're that concerned, you can use private browsing mode in most browsers these days.
Or you can just refuse cookies, which btw, you shouldn't have from hipmarket.

You say you're concerned, so you should have those set, so you don't get worried like this.

BTW, we are currently testing different banner delivery methods so your mileage may vary.
But when it refreshes, it's in an iframe, so no cookie necessary.

If you click on a banner, then it's up to the advertising site as to whether they put a cookie on your computer.
IC Mag like most websites does put a cookie on your computer if ask for the site to remember you when you login.

Also while we're at it, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that takes effect next week in Europe, pretty much doesn't affect ICMag.
It concerns personal privacy, but it is geared to websites that require you use your real name when you register, which we don't do.
We also advise ppl to not use their primary email addy, esp. if it contains a real name to register here or any website.

Anonymity provides a certain amount of privacy. We are not Facebook!

Last edited:
R

Robrites

Yes, everytime it refreshes a banner it links to hipmarket to load it, so what?
Do you have a cookie from hipmarket on your computer, or are you freaking out over nothing?

If you're that concerned, you can use private browsing mode in most browsers these days.
Or you can just refuse cookies, which btw, you don't have from hipmarket.

You say you're concerned, so you should have those set, so you don't get worried like this.
Yes, I and everyone that uses icmag has a cookie on their computer from hipmarket. Check-you will find it.

ICMAG used to be a leader in the industry for protecting their users. Apparently that is no longer true.

I have found a way to block hipmarket cookies.
first, delete the cookie and then install NoScript.

NoScript allows me to mark their cookie as Untrusted.

https://noscript.net/

R

Robrites

Proof Positive

picture.php

Skip

Veteran
Congratulations, now I guess you don't need to worry yourself and others, right?

Cause now everyone knows how to block cookies.

Sorry I misinformed you, but it really isn't "downloading" your personal data, so your title is misleading, and you seem intent on trying to demean the site for some reason.

Do you not think we keep your privacy in mind? Or are you trying to place doubt in other's minds?

Maple_Flail

pretty sure you agreed to the cookie policy when you agreed with ToU, not entirely sure tho.

i will point out, go to youtube.. 6 domains load up, go to icmag, 2 domains load up. even a generic google new tab loads up 4 domains.

there are ways of protecting yourself that don't preclude blocking ads on the site.

I think your making a big deal out of nothing. basically what your asking for is paid registration. wonder what this site would look like if the ads didn't do any of the income.

Skip

Veteran
Thanks for the clear explanations folks. And sorry for ragging on Rob. But he's always reporting issues like this, which is good, but now I understand why. He hadn't set his privacy levels.

Most oldtimer's know about web privacy and know that there really is none at certain levels.

Best we can do is protect ourselves by being anonymous online where possible.

These days, like Rob said, it's where you live that counts.

Many people are already used to having legal cannabis and so the paranoia vanishes (one of the best features of legalization!)

BTW, I don't know where I have it set, but I couldn't get hipmarket to place a cookie on my machine, even tho I tried.

R

Robrites

Congratulations, now I guess you don't need to worry yourself and others, right?

Cause now everyone knows how to block cookies.

Sorry I misinformed you, but it really isn't "downloading" your personal data, so your title is misleading, and you seem intent on trying to demean the site for some reason.

Do you not think we keep your privacy in mind? Or are you trying to place doubt in other's minds?

Jesus Skip. Look at my three year track record on ICMAG. I am always absolutely for icmag and its members. If something is not right, you are the man I talk to. It isn't the "downloading", it is the Tracking.
hipmarket seems to be a change...it is the only non-icmag cookie you allow on everyone's computer. Just think you should be open and honest about it.

Skip

Veteran
Looks like Rob is using Firefox. You should have private browsing mode enabled and tracking protection on in the settings if you are worried.

There may also be settings in windows or other security software you have to deal with unwanted cookies.

I checked and yes, it does load a cookie when it's in an iframe (which we're not using atm) and to record any banner clicks.

Other things you should be doing if you're worried (besides reading similar threads in our Security forum), is using either TOR or a VPN to obscure your IP#.

This is standard security for many years for ppl visiting pot and other drug sites.

Last edited:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I don't have a hipmarket cookie and I even went to there webpage and clicked on one of the coupons. I also whitelisted the domain in no script to see if maybe that would do it but I don't seem to have one. And I wouldn't be worried about cookies in 2018, law enforcement tracking goes on at the ISP level not the pc level. Why would they need to track your machine when they can have the company who owns the pipes all your data flows through just give them logs?

Maple_Flail

Chrome, with a miner block would be my preference for suggestion.

easy to access and understand privacy settings. ability to auto delete cookies upon browser close.

Personally, I'm rather savvy. I've got a script that I wrote that launches a Vm from a static image and loads up icmag on a vpn and clicks on a preset add placement spot, and auto shutdowns after 5 minutes so the view is registered as traffic. I cosmetically block the flashy ads because i find it extremely distracting. I use the site free of charge.

in the current climate it could be a launching board to something unique or important, If i could afford to support I would. So i do what i can.

Ps. Please don't ask for this script, it is highly personalized to my system. I am not willing or comfortable to give this sort of thing out, as i've got no idea if someone could find a way to take advantage of it.

I will tell you, It uses Autoit, and requires a second OS key.