What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

No access to water?

Waterlessguy

Hello,

I pretty much only have access to a space that does not have a water line. Iv been growing up until recently in a home with water but I can no longer keep it going because of my SO and we are expecting.

My only other option is to grow in my shop location. I have 1000sqft for flowering room and I can't think of any way to keep water without hauling a fuck ton of water to the shop all the time.

Has anyone thought of anything clever for indoor grows without water lines?

Soil grow btw....

troutman

Seed Whore
What's the nearest source of water to your shop?

Too bad you don't have washroom in your shop.

That would solve your problems.

Maybe you should work on that some time. :tiphat:

Waterlessguy

Nearest source of water is my house 20 min away.

I'm considering talking to the landlord about extending the waterline from the space next to mine because it has water. The thing is my business has nothing to do with water. It's really going out of my way to go through all of that work considering I don't need water for my field of work. What am I gonna say, I need a wash room? A bathroom is out of the question because I have access to the one next door so he'd be like wtf? I dunno. I'm in a jam and it sucks.

Waterlessguy

Hydroponics is the only solution I'm arriving at. I feel like if I run a system with a reservoir and keep enough water on hand in drums for when I need to change out the entire water supply I should be all set. I have zero experience with hydro as iv been comfy and in my zone with soil for 3 years now and I abide by the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. I never gave it much thought before but from some quick research it seems like I can keep the water recirculating for an entire cycle of a grow and only then will I need to change it out. And also in extreme circumstances if i totally fuck the nutrients up id need to change it but at that point the plants will probly be dead anyways.

If anyone has any recommendations for hydro set up please chime in. Thank you for reading!

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
One of the minor problems with autism is my intense discomfort with plumbing. When the current house was built in 1985 it had no plumbing.
When gardening started in the late 1990's there still was no water.
Today nothing has changed except I am too old to carry my own water and my daughter and her friends do that for me.
At the peak of two pounds per month harvest it took about thirty gallons per day. I use six gallon containers so it was five per day for plants and one for me.

Today in my reclining (spend a lot of time sitting) years the output is closer to a pound (short side) per month but use the same six jugs out of habit but only every other day.

It is a regular chore, just like digging a new outhouse every four years, eight spots grow great roses about a hundred yards from the house.

The largest problem encountered was when lack of water delivery caused used nutrient to be used longer than optimum. Never did the solutions ever get poor enough to adversely effect the garden. Turns out well mixed nutrient will last three weeks and still be effective.
Still use weekly changeovers, gives a little fudge time if needed.

My system functioned fine with six gallon jugs and daily delivery. Also on hand were three each 44 gallon "Brute" containers. The 132 gallons available from them allowed a pair of full nutrient changeovers without separate water being brought in. For a couple years a reservoir system was used. Between veg and bud it took 92 gallons per change.
Went back to individual nutrient buckets for each plant. I do gourmet bud and this individual attention works out so much better for the final product and works with my phobias as well.

mushroombrew

Veteran
How many plants are we talking about?

I would use a 275G food grade tote/tank with a 2" fire hose fitting. You can get them used for about $160-175. Then you use a coiled hose. Pull up at night. The tote will drain out your truck into another tote inside the shop in 4mins. Used this technique guerrilla farming. We had a res/pond in the bushes we filled twice a week.

Odor is a way bigger problem than water most of the time.