What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whatever Happened to Mighty Mite?

When I used to read High Times & Cannabis Culture in the late '90s & early 2000s, every other strain featured was "Mighty Mite". I was actually annoyed at both the lame name (spider "mites" are bugs that infest marijuana!) & how frequently the strain was being photographed/talked about. There were tons of crosses too.

What was so great about it? More importantly, why has it faded in popularity so much in the past couple decades? Don't think I've heard of a single person growing Mighty Mite since about 2003. (Not saying NOBODY grows it, of course. I'm sure someone does. But it's definitely not the staple it once was). A quick search on Leafly.com shows that it's not even listed as a strain on their site, which is pretty comprehensive. Hmmm.

I'm not looking for seeds or anything...just curious about the fate of this once beloved strain. Mighty Mite seemed to be the Maui Wowie of my day in terms of popularity. It made up the bulk of High Times centerfolds for sure.

West Coast Seeds sells it.
Mighty Might

Indoor / outdoor
Mighty Mite is a famous BC Indica strain from the Himalayas cultivated for 20 years here. 80-100% Indica, it has a bushy single cola. Dark green with a dank pine smell and nice potency. Height: 2.5'-3.5'
Indoor flowering 7-8 weeks
Outdoor harvest mid August at 55 NL /April in the Southern hemisphere

zappa66

MM was used as a breeding tool extensively over at unleash da green (Canadian early genetics). Its great to breed in early flowering genetics into other stuff. Mighty Freeze being the example that comes to mind. Its not gone.

Firecityseeds

My opinion if i remember correctly mighty mite was famous because it was ready at 50 days and sellable at 45 days and if you gave it paclo/daminozide you could pick it at 40 days and still have a sellable product back in those days. All about the money. And high times "articles" are really just paid adverts.

macamus33

I grew many "Mighty Mite" crosses back in the early 90's. "Mighty Mite X Dutch Treat, Mighty Mite X Chemo, just to name a few. As a matter of fact one "Mighty Mite X Chemo" plant was the nicest plant I have ever grown indoors. Wish I still had it. I remember I got the seeds from Marc Emery Seeds out of Vancouver, Ca.. Been out of business quite some time now I believe.

thejact55

ill be running some mighty mite crosses a friend gifted me outdoors next summer. ya mighty and timewarp seemed to be common back early 2000's. never hear their name anymore.

highsteppa

Veteran
Mighty freeze was dank! The outdoor impressed some seasoned growers...I recently got some early generation mighty mite and hope to squeeze them in this summer.:dance013:

Ready4

Veteran
Used to run Mighty Mite back in the day. Finished at the end of September, excellent stealth plant , blended right in with raspberry plants, very potent with rks smell. Nobody I ever smoked with or had said anything bad about it, it would clobber you - one friend called it rocket fuel.
Low yielder, inside good but small yield too - outside 2-3 ounces

djimb

Veteran
I believe the Derg Corra collective maintains a Mighty Mite line. There's only one outlet for their seeds, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

Ah, and now i've just noticed that you aren't looking for seeds. I have nothing else of substance to contribute. :tiphat:

Last edited:

Stinkhorn123

The Mighty-mite I ran in the 90's was an auto or semi auto plant. Most were done in August with an average yield of about an ounce or two. It definitely had a rks smell with decent potency but wasn't to tasty and always burned hot. We got the seeds from Emery, tiny little seeds lol. Last year I found out a friend has maintained the line all these years.