What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thrips 101: Introduction to Western Flower Thrips

G

Kokua ur the man I got some sour d clones and they had thripes and i didnt inspect them as them came from a friend that grows alot of plants. I read ur thread and went and got some monterey garden insect spray. So tonite everything gets treated.

sunnyside

Plant Manager
Veteran
I introduced 18,000 ladybugs into my 3x4 space over a period of a few weeks way way way more than you are supposed to use. The only thing I got was a hole in my pocket and 18,000 ladybug corpses to clean up. They didn't do a darn thing for the thrips. Don't get me wrong ladybugs have their place in pest control, just not with thrips.

I also tried pirate bugs, nematodes, thrips predator mites, blue sticky traps, pyrethrins, neem oils, insecticidal soaps, horticultural oils, diatomaceous earth, etc... I used foggers, I used sprays, I even dunked the plants at one point. I cleaned my room out completely of all plants and equipment and cleaned the walls, floors, etc...and NOTHING got rid of the thrips. Until I found spinosad.

All you folks are welcome to spin your wheels all you want. There is but one CURE for thrips, and it is spinosad.

Don't go through the trials and failures that I had to go through to find the answer...I have given this to you...TAKE IT!

If spinosad (monteray garden insect spray or bullseye) is not available at your local hydro or garden shop, then order it online. It is cheap and it's not like your ordering lights or huge hydro set ups. You are ordering an omri approved organic pest control product.

Last edited:

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
^^ yea dood..lady bugs rock..but if you wanna kill those fuckers..with a vengeance... spinosad! FTW

false

can someone tell me what products are available in the vancouver B.C. area that contain spinosad? thanks in advance .

sunnyside

Plant Manager
Veteran
don't know about where to buy in vancouver...there are 25+ hydro stores within a 30 minute radius so you should just look around. Common names to ask for are Bulls-Eye, monteray garden insect spray, and Entrust.

false

none of the stores in vancouver have ever heard of it before . is this product only available in the U.S.? and if so does anybody know where to order it online?

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
well, theeeyre BAAaack!! haha i had to use my trusty old spinosad again!!!! just wet the hoes down....ia ctually added three teaspoons to my gallon of nutrients....i figure it cant hurt to foliar feeed whilst killing those thrip fuckers!!!
man they came back with a vengance, while i was attentively looking after my beautiful sage x deep chunk and NYCD and mazar seeds, i noticed megga spotting on my veg area! i dlip over my leaves to find lil micro worms from beige to black.....i didnt see that many of them(i inspected alotta the leaves) but i only found a few!! buti sprayed the entire area anyways..carpet and everything!!! ill be feeeding some of them a mix of nutes and spinosad right on the root zone to kill any eggs

thanks again kokua this thread deserves a major BUMP!

G

These bastards just wont go away. I got them for the first time on my plants in veg and it seems to be getting worse by the day. The problem is I can not see them. I been spraying my plants with fox farms dont bug me, it works for everything else but does not seem to work for these suckas. I guess I have no choice, I have to get that spinosad. Anyone know any websites where I could order this product?

SuperLarry

i've got the thrips. sounds like a STD. feels like my girls are infected with an STD. im going to get some spinosad and rid these fuckers. thanks for the info.
i took some clones from some infested plants but i dont see damage on the clones even after rooting for 2 weeks. probably should just spray them down to be safe - they are in a different location. the thrips definitely are ugly but dont seem like anything compared to mites. although they are getting progressively worse, it seems spinosad is a clear solution.

Soma

ICMag Donor
pestacides

pestacides

Hey Sunnyside..........sounds like you ended up fogging yourself a little bit TOO much........pesticides enter the cells of plants you spray them on.......they don't leave all those cells just because time goes by and you harvest......you end up INGESTING those pesticides in micro amounts.........and sharing those pesticides with you FRIENDS........neem oil sprayed 2-3 times a week will do the trick and totally stop YOU from giving pesticided pot to your friends.......unless you want to be known for an act like that...........and if you weren't so rude on my threads........those ladybugs wouldn't be so scared of you........that is if they made it through all those pestacides........take a break from that shit...................Soma

sunnyside

Plant Manager
Veteran
no need to troll soma...

Spinosad has been approved by the Organic Materials Review Institute, the body that reviews products against national organic standards. There is absolutely nothing unsafe about spinosad. It is O.M.R.I. certified...which is more than you can say about most neem oils on the market. :)

The degradation of spinosad in the environment occurs through a combination of routes, primarily photodegradation and microbial degradation to its natural components of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen. The half-life of spinosad degraded by soil photolysis is 9-10 days. It is less than 1 day for aqueous photolysis and leaf surface photolysis results in a half-life of 1.6 to 16 days.
http://ipmworld.umn.edu/chapters/hutchins2.htm

As long as you are not applying spinosad within a few weeks of harvest you are good to go.

Soma...if you come down with thrips, you should really give this stuff a go. It's safe. Check it out yourself, you will see. :)

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
^^ nice plant and i agree...who knows where that neem oil comes from...it doesnt even have ingredients ont he back...the one i have at least...and i got it from a reputable palce....i tried spinosad in early early bloom and late late veg withe xcellent results....i also must say if its OMRI certified is it bad?

sunnyside

Plant Manager
Veteran
OMRI is good...When you see those four letters on a product it means that it has been reviewed by the a national standards board for organic certification and is approved for use on certified organic crops.

G

man soma you sure have been out :rant: hmmm must not be getting any.... :laughing: :muahaha: the misses is ignoring him if there is one maybe she got scared off. :violin:

ps the monterey garden version is always in the garden .

Last edited:

Soma

ICMag Donor
Always learning

Always learning

I am always learning as well..........have to try spinosad.......my neem oil is 100% organic from India..........5 liter bottles..........thanks for the info........Peace Soma

Wikipedia: Neem oil is a vegetable oil pressed from the fruits and seeds of Neem (Azadirachta indica), an evergreen tree which is endemic to the Indian sub-continent and has been introduced to many other areas in the tropics.

Latest posts

Latest posts