What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1 gallon coco sog?

EastCoast710

anyone successful with this ? coco sog or should I just veg and toss them into 3 gals instead of just vegging a week and flipping into flower?

was thinking just throwing up a scrog and sog it flipping asap..

got 96 plants. 6000w. I can reduce plant number if I up the gallons of coco and veg longer..

but id rather a harvest sooner.. any opinions on this?

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
do it in 5" pots ..... i think they're about half gallon . transplant frsh clones , give them a week to build roots & flip ! i used to keep my bonzai moms in them .
with coco , you can grow some big girls in them !!!

picture.php

picture.php

Z

Ziggaro

I use gallon pots had up to 20 under a 1k. Dans right tho smaller would be better for that many. I did better with 12 under 1k due to crowding. You can grow some monsters in a 1g coco pot with drippers

EastCoast710

how would you guys go about setting up .. 100 drippers lol.. I'm thinking. of just pond lining.. and a flood system the entire thing at once? I heard of a lot of people now feeding coco from the bottom with 0 issues in huge warehouses?

iuno I can always weed out the ones that don't look as good..

ju st got the driveway done after the snow. got the roof raking done.. and now sitting down getting stoned .. eating.. and time for some garden work before I start trimming

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
my second pic is flood & drain . it can be done but you have to watch the PH & EC & do rez changes quite frequent .but it is doable .

DunHav`nFun

It was determined long ago about "flood and drain/ebb and flow" setups with coco , that the upper medium in the pots "above the flood line" was always drying out faster than the rest of the containers between feeds , thus causing residual salt buildup that has to be top flushed with 1/2 strength juice to maintain CEC as well as proper EC/PPM and PH parameters....that said....

The commercial ops you hear about doing well with flood and drain coco guaranteed do timely top flushes with 1/2 strength nutrients to maintain coco`s "CEC" as well as keeping ph from dropping and EC/PPM`s from rising due to residual salt buildup that causes lockouts and imbalances....Good call on the constant check on ph and ec with flood and drain coco Dans...now....

EC...there`s ways to do top feed with 100 containers using loopfield manifolds and or octabubbler manifolds Jack Mayoffer had so much success with doing coco beds that feeds 8 plants at a time , thus you would only need 12 or so to feed said plants inside the table .....Just made a post yesterday about "Pico`s how to make a PVC dripper manifold".....or...

You can do flood and drain then top flush with a wand every so often with 1/2 strength nutes to keep ppms and ph in check without having to drain and replace rez juice without needing to....anyways....many ways to skin a mule....just offering tried and true suggestions bro....not trying to tell yas what to do....

Good luck...DHF...:ying:....

Last edited:

gr866

Veteran
It was determined long ago about "flood and drain/ebb and flow" setups with coco , that the upper medium in the pots "above the flood line" was always drying out faster than the rest of the containers between feeds , thus causing residual salt buildup that has to be top flushed with 1/2 strength juice to maintain CEC as well as proper EC/PPM and PH parameters....that said....

The commercial ops you hear about doing well with flood and drain coco guaranteed do timely top flushes with 1/2 strength nutrients to maintain coco`s "CEC" as well as keeping ph from dropping and EC/PPM`s from rising due to residual salt buildup that causes lockouts and imbalances....Good call on the constant check on ph and ec with flood and drain coco Dans...now....

EC...there`s ways to do top feed with 100 containers using loopfield manifolds and or octabubbler manifolds Jack Mayoffer had so much success with doing coco beds that feeds 8 plants at a time , thus you would only need 12 or so to feed said plants inside the table .....Just made a post yesterday about "Pico`s how to make a PVC dripper manifold".....or...

You can do flood and drain then top flush with a wand every so often with 1/2 strength nutes to keep ppms and ph in check without having to drain and replace rez juice without needing to....anyways....many ways to skin a mule....just offering tried and true suggestions bro....not trying to tell yas what to do....

Good luck...DHF...:ying:....

When running ebb and flow in coco, does that not mess with the rez ppm and pH?
I know when running Hempy's the first time I tried reusing the nutes, what a disaster that was. I have always assumed that you had to use a total inert base for ebb and flow, such as the pellets, grow stones, Perlite or the such.

I don't use ebb and flow but have considered it, so I would really like to use coco if it is possible.

Bwanabud

how would you guys go about setting up .. 100 drippers lol.. I'm thinking. of just pond lining.. and a flood system the entire thing at once? I heard of a lot of people now feeding coco from the bottom with 0 issues in huge warehouses?

iuno I can always weed out the ones that don't look as good..

ju st got the driveway done after the snow. got the roof raking done.. and now sitting down getting stoned .. eating.. and time for some garden work before I start trimming

As DHF said there are a lot of ways to do it, based on what materials/pumps you have on hand...I'd just top feed them multiple times a day with a cycle timer.

I run over 100 drippers per room, but not 100 plants per room...so a large scale guy would be better to offer suggestions.

EastCoast710

ill just flood and drain.. top feed every 3-4 times.. to keep the cec in check.. for now. .I don't plan on continually doing sogs .. just had a shit ton of cuts and want to get another run in now and out asap..

ill be able to veg the next batch for a bit. no reason to setup 100 drippers for a single run.. when I already have the wand setup.. just need to get another rez for flood and drain.. and keep one for top feeding make it simple..

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
when you do top feed , make sure to get alot of runoff & try & trap it in the tray & suck it out with a shop vac & get rid of it , or it will effect the PPMs & PH of whats in the rez . seems like a PIA , but other wise you'll be doing rez changes alot more often . & everytime you top feed you'll have to readjust the rez with all that salts going right back into the rez .

EastCoast710

I think I'm just going to incorporate both ways into my grow. next grow.. I'm setting up like you do .. with 6 plants a light.. halos.. and everything. ill prolly start buying everything to run like yours asap.. just need to grab 4 hoods.. a few more exhaust fans.. a few trays and ill be good to go ..

4 air cooled hoods are needed asap.

DunHav`nFun

when you do top feed , make sure to get alot of runoff & try & trap it in the tray & suck it out with a shop vac & get rid of it , or it will effect the PPMs & PH of whats in the rez . seems like a PIA , but other wise you'll be doing rez changes alot more often . & everytime you top feed you'll have to readjust the rez with all that salts going right back into the rez .

The most important part of top flushes with 1/2 strength juice is to disconnect the drain and let all runoff go into a separate bucket/container to "prevent" mixing runoff with rez liquid as Dans so sharply caught my old ass forgetting to make that clear....or....plug the drain and shop vac residual as Dans stated as well....

Thanks bro...Oldtimers disease kickin in....

Good luck EC710....DHF...:ying:.....

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think I'm just going to incorporate both ways into my grow. next grow.. I'm setting up like you do .. with 6 plants a light.. halos.. and everything. ill prolly start buying everything to run like yours asap.. just need to grab 4 hoods.. a few more exhaust fans.. a few trays and ill be good to go ..

4 air cooled hoods are needed asap.

:tiphat: well , if you have any questions dude .... just ask !

i have been changing mine up a bit though :biggrin:

i dropped in a 3rd light for 3k watts now & built a net system that can be taken out as needed . & strain dependant of course ..... i'm going to go to 9 plants per tray ..... i'll ee how this run of 6 GG4 goes to see if i can do 9 per tray without being over crowded .

picture.php

EastCoast710

ya I might even just hand water top feed it this grow and automate it next. so we will see.. all I know is.. I got all my last harvest stuff sold as of today.. and my new harvest is hang drying now.. gotta start putting into paper bags to sweat .. and got my shit ready for a run of oil..

just trying to get everything DONE.. so I can focus on the next run.. I'm done dicking around. going into full gear.. my back has been feeling better with the physical therapy.. and inversion therapy .. so I figure I'm just going to stay as busy as possible before my back acts up again lol get it all done now loll

jahshaka

do it in 5" pots ..... i think they're about half gallon . transplant frsh clones , give them a week to build roots & flip ! i used to keep my bonzai moms in them .
with coco , you can grow some big girls in them !!!

View Image

View Image

Hi Dan

excellent thread guys 1 gallon pot sog is amazing. i have done 12 per 1.2 square. great results but 3 weeks veg....

my question is though how many would i have to do in half gallon pots as you have suggested with the 1 week and flip method to come off with a good yield. whilst not overcrowding, whats experience shown you?

EastCoast710

:tiphat: well , if you have any questions dude .... just ask !

i have been changing mine up a bit though :biggrin:

i dropped in a 3rd light for 3k watts now & built a net system that can be taken out as needed . & strain dependant of course ..... i'm going to go to 9 plants per tray ..... i'll ee how this run of 6 GG4 goes to see if i can do 9 per tray without being over crowded .

View Image

looking amazing dude.. I cant wait to see what the hell you yield..

I'm hoping its worth it.. how far above your plants do you keep your lights.. and where exactly is the bulb above when your trying to maintain the perfect canopy

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i try to keep at least a foot , but without the nets to train them into , i was having a hard time keeping them short .

picture.php

i'm a perpetual over vegger lol & afraid to cut to much back as they go in .

with the 3 bulbs the center light is right above where the 2 trays meet to light up the center more .... & push the other 2 out more so i don't have darker outside edges anymore . each light basically covers 4 plants this way ..... its a much better spread this way ...... if i had the head room i could just move the 2 lights up & it would have been fine .
but i think this will work great ! i did the same thing in my attic space & had the best yields i ever had :biggrin:

here you can see 2 of the 3 cooltubes i had running in a 4 x 9 space .

picture.php