What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Side by side STS recipe experiment

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
aright so i did a side by side with two different recipes...
Recipe #1:

First, a stock solution of 1.0L is made. It consists of two parts (A and B) that are initially mixed separately, each into 500ml of water, then blended together. Part A is ALWAYS mixed into part B while stirring rapidly. Use distilled water; tap water may cause precipitates to form.

Wear gloves while mixing and using these chemicals, and mix and use in a properly ventilated area. A mask will prevent the breathing of any dust, which is caustic. STS is colorless and odorless, and poses minimal health risks if used as described here. Note that silver nitrate and STS can cause brown stains upon drying, so spray over newspaper and avoid spilling.

Part A: 0.5 grams silver nitrate stirred into 500ml distilled water
Part B: 2.5 grams sodium thiosulfate (anhydrous) stirred into 500ml distilled water

The silver nitrate dissolves within 15 seconds. The sodium thiosulfate takes 30-45 seconds to dissolve.

The silver nitrate solution (part A, 500ml) is then mixed into the sodium thiosulfate solution (part B, 500ml) while stirring rapidly. The resulting blend is silver thiosulfate solution (STS, 1000ml).

This stock(STS, 1000ml) solution is then diluted at a ratio of 1:9 to make a working solution. For example, 100ml of stock STS is added to 900ml of distilled water. This is then sprayed on select female plants.

Results
I sprayed 4 weeks ago then again 3 weeks ago. Both times I sprayed for complete plant coverage like i was trying to kill mites, waited about an hour, then sprayed completely again. The second spraying was diluted 1:7 instead of 1:9
This plant never got the damaged look that the other recipe generated, it created less balls but bigger ones, and today I saw one fully opened, so I took it and moved it around on my hand, and sure enough, pollen! And a nice amount coming out too. I put some on the barely flowering blackberry kush and a few others, I put this plant up on a table with a fan behind it blowing toward the rest of the crop, so hopefully everything will get a nice amount of pollination going.

picture.php

picture.php

Recipe #2

Dissolve the 1.58g Sodium Thiosulfate in 100 mL water to create a 0.1M stock solution
Dissolve the 1.7g Silver Nitrate in 100 mL water to create a 0.1M stock solution. Store in the dark.
Prepare 0.02M (20mM) Silver Thiosulfate by adding 20 mL 0.1 M silver nitrate into 80 mL 0.1M sodium thiosulfate (or amounts in ration of 4 parts thiosulfate solution to 1 part silver nitrate solution). Store up to 30 days refrigerated (best to use fresh each time).

Results

I doubled this recipe so i would have enough to spray the whole plant, and sprayed 4 weeks ago then again three weeks ago. Both times I sprayed for complete plant coverage like i was trying to kill mites, waited about an hour, then sprayed completely again.This recipe seemed to make the plant look pretty upset, yellowing and mangled looking leaves. The clusters have more balls but are smaller so far, and grow in the buds more then the other plant which grew them more so under the bud sights ... No pollen yet, but I don't think they have ripened yet either. Will keep y'all updated.

picture.php

picture.php

Notes: This experiment is taking place in a greenhouse during the winter with less than optimal lighting. My guess is that results may happen a little faster if given full 12/12 of direct light. For all applications I would completely spray the plant, wait for 1-2 hours, then completely spray it again, covering them as if to kill mites.

EDIT: Incase anyone is wondering, here is the mix that PF had success with after our numerous failures....

1g Silver mixed into 60ml RO
6G Sodium mixed into 240ml RO

Mix the 300ml into 600ml RO for a total of 900ml..

Spray at night in cool place 2x. The 2nd application is done 2 weeks after the 1st..

I have ditched all plants that where messed up from other try's.. I got 2 fresh plants 1 Glue and 1 sdubb. I just put the 1st application on using his recipe. I did not have any plants larger than 12" so that's what I used. I'm told this will not matter both plants will get 1-3x larger anyway while flowering...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had the same pissed off lady from the STS treatment. In the end the 1st plant did not produce any pollen. I'm trying a 2nd plant that is larger..This STS recipe is 1:4 if the 2nd one is the same I will try another recipe that's 1:9. That's good news your 1:9 recipe produced pollen. I just got another order of 25g silver... I will make upo a new stock solution tonight of 1:9

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
yeah i thought the second one would work better because it uses more silver, but i guess not.

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
I use your first recipe but per Chimeras suggestion I dilute 1 part stock to 3 distilled h2o

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ya that's a huge difference in amounts used.. .5g of silver is not much. My larger scale had a hard time with it. My smaller scale is not a 3 decimal point so had to make it blink between 2-3g.. Probably doesn't need to be that accurate but tried my best.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

How much stock of silver is mixed into Stock of Sodium?? 100ml/300ml?

Couldn't we just change the ratio by reducing the amount of RO? use 100ml silver mixed into 500ml sodium for a 1:5 mix?? Going to try the 1:9 since you got that working. I can always try the 1:5 later
[/FONT]

Last edited:

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I just updated the first post. the second spraying was diluted 1:7 instead of 1:9. Not sure if this had a positive effect or not but if I do it again I will repeat this step, since it worked. I didn't dilute the second recipe at all, just sprayed it on strait up.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I use your first recipe but per Chimeras suggestion I dilute 1 part stock to 3 distilled h2o

Yeah i bet you could spray this one strait on the plant without dilution, if the other recipe doesn't kill the plant then this definitely wouldn't. I guess for some the idea is to use the least possible amounts to conserve materials. For me its whatever generates the best results.

For these two separate recipes to both work at all shows that there is a wide range of STS solutions that would work. its science, just not rocket science.

I do like how the first recipe didn't seem to stress the plant in any way tho.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Ya that's a huge difference in amounts used.. .5g of silver is not much. My larger scale had a hard time with it. My smaller scale is not a 3 decimal point so had to make it blink between 2-3g.. Probably doesn't need to be that accurate but tried my best.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grow Tech

Couldn't we just change the ratio by reducing the amount of RO? use 100ml silver mixed into 500ml sodium for a 1:5 mix?? Going to try the 1:9 since you got that working. I can always try the 1:5 later
[/FONT]

you put the whole 500 ml silver into the the whole 500ml of sodium thio to make 1000 ml solution, which is then diluted again with ro water 1:9, or i believe anywhere from 1:9 - 1:3 would work. like i said my second spray a week later was 1:7.
This recipe had me confused for the longest cuz i couldn't believe you dilute it that much when the other recipe makes such a small amount that isn't diluted and uses 3x the amount of silver.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ya im a bit confused by that recipe. I already have the 2 500ml jars of Sodium/sliver.. I'm mixing them together now. I will then mix that with the RO.. That what I meant by 1:5 instead of the 900ml of RO use 500ml instead this would make it stronger.. I will try the 1:9 since that works.

It seems very weak with just 100ml mixed into 900 ml of ro?

Grow Tech

Veteran

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grow Tech

[/FONT]
not 100% sure I get the question but per the recipe it's 500 mL
of each

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Yes it does! Thats y my second spray i up'd it to 1:7. If chimera said go 1:5 I'm sure that would work too.
Its crazy because if you didn't dilute this solution AT ALL, it would still be a lot less potent then the other recipe.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Agreed very odd, I did not need to make that much with using 900ml of RO so I cut it in half to 50ml of stock to 450ml RO...500ml almost filled the spray bottle...

I trashed the other plant. She looked awful im sure the other recipe was to strong..When this bottle is used I will make it 1:5..That's still much weaker then the other recipe. I just sprayed the last one I had that was ready for flower. This one is the largest of the ones I have sprayed. The rest are way to small..I fell much more confident now that you have done these tests. When I use the stuff I got from Bud research the plant did not get all pissed off like these are. that one was 1:9 since I bought there mix. It comes pre measured you just need to add RO.

Grow Tech

Veteran
I've actually gotten selfed seeds off a plant by waiting till she showed pistils and then starting the STS sprays. You gotta keep her/him healthy enough to get the se3ds to mature

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The other thing I noticed was it only indicates 1 application is needed. You used 2 1 week apart.. I will do that but wont wait a week. After this 1st application dries I will do it again...

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
The other thing I noticed was it only indicates 1 application is needed. You used 2 1 week apart.. I will do that but wont wait a week. After this 1st application dries I will do it again...

Im updating the first post to clarify this, I actually sprayed, waited 1-2 hours, then sprayed again for all applications.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
After we mix the 20ml of silver to the 80ml of sodium that gets mixed into 400mls of RO for a 1:4 mix I think..The mix we used was not just strait STOCK SOLUTION LOL had to be. This is why the plants where so damaged. This is what I think happened. Waiting for a response...

I also sent BS a email asking about there recipe. There so different I wanted to know why. one uses RO to dilute the other uses no RO to dilute and much more Silver. I sent them a link to the 1:4 recipe. I wanted to here what they have to say about it. I have not herd back from them. Even though it says The STS solution is prepared with a molar ratio between silver and thiosulfate of 1:4, respectively with no RO to dilute I think this is wrong. Having no RO makes it so strong it damages the plants big time...

Last edited:

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Wowww... haha! Well shit, now we know! That one is still looking hurt but throwing HELLA balls, its just like they more cramped then the other ones, more in the buds. I wanted to get some pictures today but my girl "put away" my camera, n when she put shit away it sometimes never shows up again...