What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Companion Planting

mister c

I was wondering.....

Is there any companion plants for cannabis that I can grow in the corner, indoor?

Like tomatoes, bell peppers, catnip, strawberries?

quadracer

I've been companion planting lately and it has been working great! There's a big list of plants that are beneficial to other plants, most of them are beneficial to humans as well.

There's also a good thread in the organics forum here http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=70980&page=1&pp=15

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companion_plants

Basil is said to make tomatoes taste better, chamomile and anise are supposed to increase the essential oils in many herbs like basil.

Borage is the magic bullet of companion plants

Chamomile Growing near herbs will increase their oil production.

Lovage is thought to improve the health of almost all plants, like borage and geraniums, is considered a "magic bullet" of companion planting.

Yarrow May increase the essential oil production of some herbs. Also improves soil quality, use the leaves to enrich compost, or as mulch.

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
When the first Europeans arrived on the North American continent, they found the aboriginal peoples growing corn to support the climbing bean vines and surrounded at the base by running squash vines for moisture control and referred to by the Native Americans as "the three sisters."

Namaste, mess

MrFista

Veteran
I have experimented with indoor companion planting for MJ minimally. I stopped after a while after finding the following...

disclaimer - this info is my observations only and could be utter bollocks. :muahaha:

Chamomile gets aphids off other plants by drawing them to itself. It is an aphid magnet, in a growroom a pest like aphids gets out of control much faster than with predators present - I don't want any aphids in the room - so chamomile is out.

Outdoors, chamomile is a great addition to the garden. Aphids are the bread and butter (or rice) of the insect kingdom. We need them out there to get the ball rolling with beneficials. If you plant outdoors there WILL be aphids, chamomile is great as aphids prefer it to weed. Sunflowers are the same, the ants will physically remove aphids from other plants and put them on sunflowers. Aphids don't hurt sunflowers, aphids fuck weed up.

Chamomile is also beneficial in other ways.

"Known as The 'Plant Doctor' because of it's ability to encourage other plants to increase their essential oil & so taste & smell more stronger & more vital... Chamomile is easy to grow, & looks beautiful anywhere, though keep it well trimmed to avoid a straggly look. Many other plants enjoy it's company, especially Mint, which will become tastier when grown next to Chamomile. Plant Chamomile next to ailing plants to help revive it. Cabbages & Onions love Chamomile, though keep it approx a meter away from Onions. Collect & dry the Chamomile Flowers, then make a tea by soaking a handful in cold water for a day or two. This can then be used for any plant which is looking sickly, or a young plant is in need of assistance. And finally, Chamomile will help activate the Composting process if added to your Compost pile!"

Chamomile also makes a beautiful lawn, it likes to be walked on and releases scent. I've seen one and was impressed enough I now have a packet of seeds to make one of my own.

Good ground cover plant.

What I found was that many plants that are companions trade things with the plants they benefit via a mycorrhizal network. So container planting doesn't really cut it for companions unless you have the plants in the same container.

A bed grower might benefit from some companions indoors. I've found most companion plants are much better doing what they should do outdoors.

I have a lot of companions outdoors. Healthy companions are much better for the garden obviously, organic practise and companion planting go hand in hand - and all the plants love a good compost tea. It helps establish fungal and microbial functions in the soil.

Now that I've realised I'm in the veggie forum.... :laughing:

I'll do more on experiences with companions as time and will allows.