What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hydrogen Peroxide ???

W

Whatever

inflorescence said:
Pure O2 is damaging to human lungs at high levels. The earths atmosphere actually doesn't have that much O2 at all (mostly N) and if you breath pure O2 it will scar human lung.

I believe the same thing happens with aerobic bacteria. Their "atmosphere" (rhizosphere) is a low level 02 environment. Increase the O2 to high levels and it starts to be harmful.

If humans can't assimilate pure O2 why would aerobic bacteria be able to?
We are both aerobic organisms.
I think you edited something out toward the end about nitrate stuff or am I hallucinating? LOL...anyway...I've been talking about H202 on contact killing both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria and not the resultant release of oxygen. If you haven't sterilized the area, whatever you consider the area to be, the released oxygen will act as a catalyst to promote bacterial growth.

You're gonna have some martyrs in the process...:violin:...but when they die they release the nutrients stored in their itty bitty little bodies AND you also have the influence on ORP when using H202. Gawd...I got that brand new ORP meter collecting dust and the tip will probably go bad before I can experiment with it.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
This has been a real informative thread...

My question:
Will it benefit my cloning if I were to put a couple tablespoons of h2o2 (3%) in my bubble cloner?

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It will provide more dissolved oxygen than your air bubbles do.
The roots like the oxygen the air stones create...

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
but would that be too much oxegen? My bad if this a dumb question but shit Im new to the whole clone and hydro scene..

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I clone in peat pucks, but I use 30cc H202 per gal water. I also soak seeds in same mixture.

H2o2 will degrade after about 4-5 days.

glad to check back and this debate is going strong....Seems like people are on both sides.....I have 4 plants in vegg now, maybe a little side by side grow using the h202/ or not...Again I don't use the h202 until im in flower as i use T5's(minimal heat) for veggin

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Nah...

Nah...

No pissin contest, we all jus wanna learn. Stoners -are- like that sometimes ya know... We need a microscope.... BC

Miko

hoosierdaddy said:
Levels of dissolved oxygen, not carbon.

To put it straight, I am sure you don't have much expertise in this matter. I said carbon and I ment carbon (DOC - dissolved organic carbon). There is much more going on then just Oxygen release when h2o2 added to soil.

To all of you guys make sure you take all the information posted here with a grain of salt and don't assume you have really learned something. Follow scientific papers for some real info and off course your own exerience.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lets put it even straighter...what you previously provided was nothing but a parroting of something you read on the internet.

Now, if you have the answers, why don't you enlighten us, instead of giving your account on who is and who isn't up on this topic?
While you are at it, delve a bit more into the organic carbon matter and how it pertains to our application here? Explain why we should use the term carbon when we are discussing the by products of H2o2, instead of calling it water and oxygen.
Hell, I'm all eyes, and I would love to know more about the additional organic matter that is released when H2o2 degrades.

And I have lots of experience with this substance. Who are you to say I don't?
Wait..I know...you are mad because I corrected one of your dubious statements.
Yeah, that must be it, you must be mad. But that's ok...I'd still be interested in being enlightened and brought up to speed by someone who is knowledgeable with the subject matter (or is that organic matter?), so do carry on.

Miko

Additional organic matter? Where you read this? I never said you don't have experience. Mad? Certainly not me :) DOC is not oxygen, how it pertains to our application here? Cu and Zn availability among other things. I suggest you look at how h202 works, what happens with enzymes in hp, etc. There's much more to it then what has been said here so far. I think there's better sources of information on the internet then your opinion. Take it easy

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dissolved organic carbon is synonymous with additional organic matter.
You threw the term out there.

I again suggest you enlighten us, instead of leaving us hanging.

I never said you don't have experience.
Really?

To put it straight, I am sure you don't have much expertise in this matter.

W

Whatever

B.C. said:
No pissin contest, we all jus wanna learn. Stoners -are- like that sometimes ya know... We need a microscope.... BC
Nah...I didn't get it was a pissing contest...pretty civil actually...lol. Just wondering how someone is reading the info in this thread and seeing that there's different sides cause I haven't gotten that. Sure some differences in opinions but seems general agreement about H202's value. Hoping I can get some solid info in the next week to add regarding the direct effect/influence on soil microlife.

Follow scientific papers for some real info and of course your own exerience.
I totally agree with that. There is lots of anecdotal information, hearsay, and just parroting (as Hoosierdaddy puts it) on the net regarding all aspects of cannabis. I've tried to add info from credible research here. Going back to the rainwater thing they did one study where they were growing surface zone type algae in seawater and diluted it by 1% with a solution of 30-40 micro mole concentration of H202 to mimic rainwater and sometimes there was a decrease in chlorophyll production.

Not super applicable to what were talking about but a little piece of the puzzle somehow regarding rainwater:
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1799071

Here's a more interesting link:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/puu8540286031405/

Miko...thing we have to do is collect information and at least create a hypothesis (educated guess) from the available information. With that last link it seems apparent that the longer and harder it rains the more H202 gets deposited. Very interesting. I always knew that rainwater naturally flushed the earth but there also seems to be a mild sanitizing effect which to some extent purifies the soil but in the long run will invigorate it.

My dad taught me to watch the grass after a good thunderstorm and my memory seems to be that it was invigorated more than after a 'regular' rain shower. Maybe this has something to do with increased H202 concentrations due to the electrical activity creating more ozone creating more H202?

So I just Googled and damn...seems confirmed:
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1697797

ogenko

something interesting happened in my res
its been running warm even with the chiller cranking (70-72)
i added peroxide yesterday and it dropped down to 67
which is what i have it set at
and today i got home and its still at 67 after the lights been on for 8 hours
and its a fairly warm day
i dont know it its related to the peroxide,
but it sure does seem like it

W

Whatever

Ogenko...I don't think the H202 has anything to do with the temp thing...gotta be something else. Have no clue what your setup is. One thing I know about chillers is you need to make sure the temperature differential is set wide enough otherwise it won't stop running or will cycle very fast and then basically the chiller 'freezes up' just like an AC and stops cooling even though the unit will still be running. Another thing is make sure the circulation in the res is adequate. I had a 110 gal res and with a pump attached to the chiller running constantly and it creates a current in the res. Then you have the nute feed pump pulling solution and you also get the 'dump' back into the res after it flows through your grow setup. Part of the solution for me was to adjust where in the res the chiller was drawing fluid from by adding an extension to the pump intake. You create eddies or zones with the pumps where the res solution just spins around and then you also have dead zones.

slipperysamus

Hey guys, great info. I realize specifics vary from application to application, but...
For what its worth, Id like any guidance for using H202 in an ebb/flow set-up equal parts coco:perilite. Thnaks in advance for any experienced advice.

30ml/Gal (3% h202) seems to be about the recommended dosage is this correct? that would be 3000ml per 100 gal resevoir. Seems plausible, but kinda high.

When would one MOST benefit from applying h202? ie: clone, veg, transition, bloom etc?

I understand that it degrades after about 4 days which is right on schedule with resevoir changes. How frequently should it be applied? ie: every change, every 3 changes, etc.

Any one know how this affects PH or PPMs, or if I should back off on certain nutrients and products while using h202?

THanks again for any guidance.

Whatever said:
What are the 'sides' that you see?

Some people are using it, and swear by it, some do not. I agree it does kill some benficial bacterias, but I live in a rather warm climate, especially now, it gets hot. I need all the help with heat stress I can get. H202 definitly helps the roots breath a bit in the soil. My roots are always nice and healthy, well 95% time...lol