What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

From Gravel To Garden

southwind

Greetings All;

I have been on this site for many years and became a member in 2006, All my life I have grown things..my Father was a nursery man, my Brothers and I are all Biologist's or Botanist's..we lived on a 350 acre farm in Missouri for many years and Califonia for the rest of my life..always with big gardens..

What it gives me is EVERYTHING.

Body, Soul, Mind, Spirit..there is no explanation..there is nothing like working your own black, rich, humousy compost into newly broken soil with bare feet and the sun on your shoulders..

I moved into a place that had no garden at all, because my friend and housemate had to leave her home of many years and the place she could afford had no open ground..

The reason I call this thread 'From Gravel to Garden' is because that is what we had..gravel over plastic over the soil..it had been covered for 18 years..

I had to move the gravel [ quite literally hundreds of pounds ] remove the plastic and break every inch of the strangled soil with a pick until I could work in gypsum and then brought in 7 cubit yards of mushroom compost and horse manure compost..and made flower beds..

Another big reason I did so was that my housemate , who is very disabled and very sick most of the time, seemed to get some joy out of the few plants she had at her old house..which was too shaded by large redwoods to grow many things..she would spend hours with her few potted plants..I thought this garden might help to lift her flagging spirits..

So without further ado..some things in my garden..

looking out my backdoor..

the hollyhocks are big enough to say 'hands up!' a
and make it stick..

more later..

Last edited:

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
Looks awesome. It's a great idea. No more mowing....

My mom went with a back yard garden instead of a lawn. It took a couple years, but it's wonderful now, and will continue looking awesome for many years to com.

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
One of the meteorite dealers on ebay also has rare plants if you are interested.

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Well hey there buddy, it's good ta see ya!

Well hey there buddy, it's good ta see ya!

Wow it's been a while since I seen ya post, I hope yer health is back up ta par? I've been wonderin about ya.....Yer garden looks fantastic! Some of those blossoms a huge! very nice indeed. All yer hardwork has really paid off, thanks fer sharin! Take care... BC

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yo southwind!! ....very pretty flowers! ....what a lovely yard you have, it shows all your hard work! thanks for sharing it with us :)