What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic veggies

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
High there folks, i have a bit of an organic vege garden cranking. Its winter here but still able to grow some greens (what the possums left alone) and have potatoes, peas, broccoli, cabbage and leeks going. Also few herbs like parsly and marjarom, rosemary etc.

Garden hasnt been doing as well with root crops, ground is very dry and hard. I have added decent amount of manures/mulches and dry ferts, lime, charcoal, azomite and some compost. Results have been mixed but garden hasnt been worked in years and is very dry.

I also have a 'terra preta' mix in containers... brassicas grow well in this but my leeks arent really growing at all. Maybe they need more nutes or just dont grow well over winter? Onions never grew well in this native soil either.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mushie season just finished i think. Didnt do any pickin but... Wouldnt mind a good brew sometime... :D

Do have a mushie grow box in a cupboard which is just starting to crank out some nice swiss brown shrooms.

Aha....thought it was code name for something with psycho- alkaloids, duh....good for cooking, though, huh?

Mushroom - Swiss brown

The swiss brown is in fact the original mushroom. A mutant strain of the swiss brown was discovered in the 1920s and the more favoured white cap became the dominant variety. Swiss browns are now available in most fruit and vegie shops and are diostinguished by their chestnut-brown caps and more robust flavour. When fully opened they can be referred to as Portobello mushrooms. adopted from: http://www.recipesfor2.com.au/tips/142/mushroom-swiss-brown

Later gators...

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes the possums and wallabies think so...

My leeks are gone. Left my gate open whilst sick with the flu and wallaby had a field day. So thats not of concern anymore... peas, brussel sprouts and broccoli doing ok.