What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Piece Of America

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
Hello,

I recently bought a piece of America. It in Kansas and about 600 feet from a river that have public land along it's banks and a Riverside Park. I paid $255.00 for it and has a tax value of $440. I'm so happy. I can't wait to actually see it in person. It's not the largest parcel in the Midwest, at 2860 square feet, but it's MINE and has a paved road. Taxes are a mere $14.00 per year.

I am planning a garden since I won't be building. Not a pot farm, but a bulb farm. It's going to take a couple years to get the garden established, but it won't be that expensive. I went to Walmart yesterday shopping and they have all their flower bulbs at high discount. I purchased 395 bulbs, 5 roots, 95 rhizomes, and 36 tubers of varying genes from Gladiolas and tulips, to Iris's and several names I can't spell off the top of my head. All for $16.84! That's about 25 cents each. It was a great buy. I also know where I can get ten free flowering trees.

There's not enough to fill the nearly 3000 square feet of ground, but it's a great start and will check out the other Walmart in the area to see if they have slashed prices. It won't be long before the cut prises on the perinials, and I can set out to create a field that will turn heads. No doubt poaching will be an issue, but as long as the ladies don't dig up my bulbs and only take the cut flowers I'll be OK with it.

I can always put up a private property sign along with a "good faith" sign where people who love the flowers can send a payment a take what they want. The other idea is that the only florist in town needs flowers and can have the flowers at very low prices since the bulbs may produce a send flowering and will come back next season. I only need to make $255.00 to turn this land into a money maker.

I am looking into another parcel 7 miles east of the Gulf of Mexico in Florida that's set to go on the 23rd of June. It's listed at $1000.00 and has a value of $10,000. The yearly tax is $160.00. I am think of a flip. Buying it here and selling it there once I get the warranty deed.

Thanks for reading. It's a little off topic, I did include the word pot.

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
sounds cool facelift! keep us updated if you please. just watch about putting up the land size and pricing information on here so your security isn't compromised.

i've considered a similar thing with a different are of the country with slightly more expensive but still cheap land and fruiting trees. should make for a nice hobby. who knows, maybe some development will start near your land in the future and you can sell it off for much more than you paid.

facelift

Veteran
I made a math error, the bulbs averaged 4 cents each, not 25.

Well, outdoor gardening is growing outdoors.

I have a picture of the lot, and would love to post it, but security is an issue. I guess someone could run an online search for lots worth $440 and arrest every owner listed. It will be an even bigger security risk to post a picture of a field of flowers.

I will post site link after all. I was thinking greedy here. You guys could get 5 acres in Texas for a few hundred bucks. Some have sold for less than 10 dollars. And while I'm thinking about it, the day before I passed on a NM unpatented 80 acre mining claim, and regretted it even though it's just mineral rights, and not ownership. It sold for $795.00.

There is a catch to bidding on the site, you have to be ID'd through a series of questions about public records. I failed a few weeks ago because everything was about my dad and I could honestly say I was associated with the object in question. I pass a few days ago when the question were actually associated with my. If you like don;t visit the site from here. The have houses, land, electronic, gold and some other cool stuff.

bid4assets

Good Luck!

Last edited:

facelift

Veteran
I just got the warranty deed and was thinking about installing a 12x12 foot tent pad, a fire pit along with all those bulbs, and I know where I can get 10 flowering trees for 10 dollars. And I'm looking at ordering a nice planned garden, and some more bulbs from Michigan Bulb. Thinking about 100 bucks or so. These items won't arrive until September.

B

bigbluntbob

you should do a search for "garden watchdog" if you haven't ordered yet. this is a site the reviews online garden centers/nurseries. i hate to be a negative bast@rd but Michigan bulb has a horrible rating, i'm pretty sure. if you have used them before with success, then disregard this post. I just thought i would give you a heads up.

and congratulations on your property. it is comforting to own a little land...they aren't making anymore of it!

good luck,

bob

p.s. you should check out dutch gardens i have one of their catalogs and it is nothing but bulbs.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
facelift, good luck with all you do, its great that you have all these ideas and are acting on them, I hope it all works out and you make some money. Keep on keepin on! :D

blackbird

That is some really interesting info. facelift. I can't believe that I could own my own land for a few hundred dollars. Where I'm (california) you couldn't find such a bargain...maybe its time to move :fsu:

facelift

Veteran
I got the warranty deed about a week ago.

I bought my little area at auction. The problem with auctions is that the seller has to spend $100.00 and up to post the auction, and will charge you anywhere from $125.00 to $395.00 to cover his/her costs. This will also cover the transfer fees in most cases.

Now, without reading what I posted, and mostly likely posting info that contradicts the info, I paid $255 for the property and $295.00 in these fees and buyers premiums. The property is only valued at $440.00. It looks like a $110.00 loss, but should I sell in same auction, the $295.00 would be paid by buyer on top of the bid price for land.

If you are looking for land and city lots for just a few hundred dollars, try,

ebay
bid4assets

at ebay search "acre"
bid4assets has a link to the real estate

Expect to pay up to $395.00 in fees above and beyond the cost of the land. Also you need to get the county and state where the land is, the APN or parcel number or physical address. Visit county assessors website, and see if you can do a free property search. You might be able to find something comparable to what I found, where overall you are only paying $110.00 more than the property is worth including fees. You may also find a really good deal where you pay less including fees than the property is worth.

I have more sites, I just don't keep them stored and have to search for them when I feel like checking.

I recently applied for a winter job in Yellowstone, and got my postcard today notifying me that they will send letter at time of their hiring decision. Should this dream happen, and I wouldn't mind washing dishes at Old Faithful over the winter, I am going to pick up 5 acres in Southern Colorado.

facelift

Veteran
Yeah, I haven't ordered from MI BULBS, and thanks for the information. The 4 cent bulbs I collected from Wal Mart that I have planted in my mom's garden are had great germ rates. I was looking for a few exotics and expensive bulbs. I would like to turn this into some kind of business that produces $550.00 per year within a year or two, and that requires a great selection, honest customers, a little planning, and a little luck.

The idea is to have a field of flowers suitable to use as cut flowers. Post a sign and maybe a newspaper classified and a message board or two like at the supermarket, to get people to send me a few bucks for whatever they cut and dig up. I'll contact the florist in the area too.

Just something I wanted that dare I say is pretty useless being 600 miles away at the moment. I've also thought of developing it at a camp site with fire pit raised tent pad, and picnic table or park bench. Again, someone might want to camp out and may send me a few bucks to do so.

I'll call the ideas,

Pick N' Pay
Stay N' Pay

Man! What an idiot!

E

EatShitake

This almost sounds too good, but I'd love to get some acreage in CO or NM hills. Thanks for the info.

InjectTruth

Id like to hear what some Real Estate Stalwarts (we have quite a few around here), have to say about this.

Seems like a scam.