What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indoor Veggie Growers??? Unite!!

B

bigbluntbob

posted by N.Acumbens "It would be helpful to myself if people could include any known induction times, whether plants are auto blooming, or whether they respond to increasing or decreasing light patterns.... Many thanks..Acumbens"

i dont know about any other fruit/veg. but i do know that tomatoes dont care about light cycle much. they care about light intensity but not about day length. they should be equally happy whether in 12/12 or 24/0. i have grown them in both cycles and couldn't tell any difference.

btw, tomatoes love a bubbler bucket.

can i post pics yet ? or do i have to wait till i get 50 posts?

cool setup, justincase. i grew the dark opal basil a few years ago. i really liked how it looked in dishes. especially against a red tomato.

i really like this thread. i get a kick out of seeing what mj growers can or cant do in the veggi garden. i have seen great mj growers not be able to grow the easiest of veggies or herbs lol even cilantro - a weed!! but the same person probably has an 11 year old mom in a homemade hydro system that they keep in a stealth shoebox!!

i was the same way when i started with the tomatoes. give me a sickly triploid, a few poly-hybrids in a 3000w nightstand and i was good to go......but give me one of the hardiest vegetables known to man, great soil, and a perfect climate and i'm dumbfounded.

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
I have space in my flower room I should totally do this.

What else thrives on 12/12 but can also deal with the change back to 18/6 with a HPS>MH bulb change? My harvest comes in about 30 days then I gotta change bulbs.

I would love to try growing veggies/fruit.

Why I haven't even THOUGHT about doing this up to this point is sort of ridiculous.

Thanks for the tomato tip...BBB. I didn't know they would thrive in a twelve twelve....do they do better in the 24 cab if they prefer greater light intensity, or does it not matter...it surely should.

PS -Unless rules have changed, you should be able to upload pics from the start...rules do change though ;-)

Last edited:
B

bigbluntbob

N. Accumbens said:
Thanks for the tomato tip...BBB. I didn't know they would thrive in a twelve twelve....do they do better in the 24 cab if they prefer greater light intensity, or does it not matter...it surely should.

it may matter but not to the point that you could tell a difference. tomatoes grow fast. they will grow circles around mj. when something grows that fast it is hard to tell minor differences in growth rate. they grow like crazy whether in 12/12 or 24/0. i would recommend putting them wherever you have the room.

FRANKENBLUNT420

me blunt is like, wicked yo!! owight
im growin out some peppers an some other herbs, and i was wondering if anyone else has grown these out. if i remember they are pimientos and jalepenos. ive got some SSH growin right now, but do the pepper plants flower along the same time, in regard to switching 12/12 , like MJ does?

and how do i know when my herbs are ready fro pickin'/ usin'/ cookin' with? do they ahve to be dried out first?

G

peppers can be dried, pickeled, eaten raw, cooked almost any way....etc. MJ is a photodependent plant, meaning its life-cycles are based on the light cycle they experience (ruderalis and other auto-flower strains are the exception). Most garden vegetables will produce in any light cycle, and dont need to be "shocked in to flower". Your jalapeno peppers are ready when they begin to go from green to red, but can be taken earlier or later.....pimientos i know nothing of....good luck fella, fresh homegrown peppers are the SHIT!

B

bigbluntbob

posted by FRANKENBLUNT420:
"and how do i know when my herbs are ready fro pickin'/ usin'/ cookin' with? do they ahve to be dried out first?"

herbs usually have the highest concentration of aromatic oils right before they bloom. they can be dried or used fresh. herbs can be dried and cured just like mj.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
First Grow

First Grow

Hello. I'm using a 4X4 Ebb & Flow table under t5 fluro's
5 tomatoes,1 cherry tomatoe,10 peppers (8 types),
1 cucumber, 2 basil, 2 peas
Using BC products + sugar daddy + thrive alive.
Been on the table for 4 weeks and things look great!

FRANKENBLUNT420

me blunt is like, wicked yo!! owight
andyaub, bigbluntbob-thanks for the responses guys, but wifey went in the closet the closet today and pulled them all out, she said they were wilted and died , but what the hell does she know about plants anyway
? so they are currently in the garbage heap somewhere growin right now. oh well i guess the rats will have well seasoned eats tonight.

i am gonna try again though, but with some tomatoes and strawberries. those are two plants i think i would rather deal with anyway. will get back to you guys soon so dont count me out!!! lol and the one thing i will do differently is . .. not tell the wife!!

definitely gonna be finishing up the flowering cab tomorrow, so i think i will get the seeds and stuff later on. ill be back!!!

:rasta:

Last edited:
B

bigbluntbob

thats too funny about the rats. you'll love growing tomatoes. keep a close eye on the strawberries for mites. they are mite food. mites wont effect the berries themselves but they will wreak havoc on mj.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
headiez247 said:
I have space in my flower room I should totally do this.

What else thrives on 12/12 but can also deal with the change back to 18/6 with a HPS>MH bulb change? My harvest comes in about 30 days then I gotta change bulbs.

I would love to try growing veggies/fruit.

Why I haven't even THOUGHT about doing this up to this point is sort of ridiculous.
id sugest green beans, or lettiuce, for 18/6. there both short, small, and have lower nute requirements then most plants. wont take up alot of space, and provide 'food' sooner then most plants, by like a month. my backyard garden is huge and im already on 2ed crop of beans, whereas some havent even finished one. cabbage is a long grower, and god, dont even think about corn or any sort of vines, i tried watermellons one time, oh god, they 'took over' quickly.

started growing veggies hydro to get my feet wet and get the feel for the whole process.
my lights arent anything spectacular and my set is the cheap and easy style. i picked up tomato, cucumber, and a green pepper. all have a good root structure, and growing well. my tomato could be doing better, but this was all just a test run to see if i could keep plants living. turns out i am having a lot of fun, learning, and will be keeping this indoor legal hydro garden going while i start growing herb. for my nutes, i am using botanicare cns17. have heard it is newer, but it has shown me good results thus far.
today i move into bloom. glad to see others who still like to do veggies as well as other plants. awesome pic of the indoor grapes. why does lettuce require lower nutes. perhaps i should do that with my spinach when i grow it too. someone else had recommended 18/6 as well. that will come in handy.

Last edited:

raygun

Clackamas Coot said:
Daemon

Alpine Strawberries are some of the finest tasting strawberries you can find.

They do well under HID lights.

HTH

CC
I have some of these and they are prolific fruiters however they never get red. They stay white and then turn brown and die. I have another type of strawberry that has given me some good fruit but the Alpine just wont ripen properly for me. They are out doors by the way
Any suggestions?