What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indoor Veggie Growers??? Unite!!

chosen

Veteran
Pot growers run a a pretty high lumens per square foot ratio. You can pretty much grow anything. I've seen people even grow banana plants. I'm thinking of trying a coffee plant.

G

A coffee plant would be freakin awesome man, they look cool, they're interesting and I ean, why the hell not? haha

Daemon

Wow, all good info!

Hey Old Yeller, I've got some of the same growing right now - how did the Amish Paste Tomatoes work out for you? Mine are doing quite well(though they are quickly overgrowing my room and will be going outside as soon as it warms up). I also just got 6 beautiful buttercrunch lettuce starts that seem to be taking off.

I think, from everything I've grown thus far, that lettuce is the way to go, provided you can keep it cool enough that they don't bolt. I can easily fit 12 butter or loose leaf lettuces under one 2'-2 lamp T5, which isn't bad at all! I'm planning on buying a few 4'-4 lamp T5's to really up my production. I could easily have around 50 plants(all lettuces), under them!

As for the strawberries, I think I will go pick some up today. I am really intrigued by fruit indoors, since I won't have to worry about birds and slugs and all that. Of course, bugs may be an issue so keeping everything clean and staying on top of everything will be VERY important.

So, I'm going to put my strawberries under T5's at 18/6 for a while and then go from there. Any other suggestions?

Daemon -
2 years ago i got my organic tomato & pepper seeds online from
http://www.tomatobob.com/
and even though i got a late start with my seedlings last year, everything did so well that i thought i'd save seeds from the best plants for this year. The Amish Paste were so good for sauce that this fall i'm investing in a good food dehydrator so i can do the "sun dried" thing with my tom's & pep's and all the the different herbs that grew till the first big snow. Right now my freezer is still loaded with last summers pineapple sage, lemon thyme, chocolate mint, greek oregano, rosemary...bla, bla...
Besides the Amish Paste, the other good tom's were Mule Team, Brandywine, DePinto, Black Krim & German Green (great fried!). The local squirrels loved them so much they would risk death by my 2 professional squirrell-killing dogs just to get at 'em.
Here's a couple of pics from today - a deformed leaf Brandywine & Muleteam in 1 gal. growbags & a 12' Giant Sunflower seedling after 2 days in Happy Frog (I love that stuff!)

Daemon

^^Looking very good! Yes, I am very excited about the Amish Paste Tomatoes as I love to make sauces ad all that. I will be starting some peppers here soon, not sure what kind though.

Those alpine strawberries sound delicious, I'll be growing some as soon as they get here.

MMMM, I just had a nice buttercrisp salad with my own indoor grown lettuce!

grrr.....I really need a camera to document this.

Also, a friend and I have eight 4'x8' wood frames we built, basically raised beds for outdoor lettuce cultivation. That's going to be a lot of ProMix.....

Daemon,
T5's are also on my shopping list - this place has the best prices I've found so far;
http://www.plantlightinghydroponics...ens-4ft-t5-fluorescent-grow-light-p-1937.html
Also, I can't seem to find Pro-Mix around here - what sizes does it come in & how much $ ?
Last nite I took some suckers off my tomatoes & tried the Jiffy Peat Pellets in Pearlite style of cloning (practice for the "real" herbs) & they still look great today - love all the info here on easy cloning techniques.

zetaacosta

Howdy!

I gots me a simple 8x20 hydro table w/ purple basil, italian basil, parsley, cilantro, dill, and mint. It's all auto and timered and all so I dont' have to do much, but it grows like crazy and is fun to watch.

I try to use everything, but it produces so much that I tend to give alot away.

When I make some more space(and money) I'm gonna build a new setup, stuff that I'll prob use more often. Hopefully tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage, radishes and I'm gonna look into growing different berries (strawberries, blueberries, boysenberries, etc.)

I hear most berries are harder to grow than herbs and vegetables, but Ima try.

NOTHING BEATS HOMEGROWN.

Once Iget set up I'll be coming back here for sure.Thanx for INFO;)

PEACE

Last edited:

Daemon

Old Yeller said:

Daemon,
T5's are also on my shopping list - this place has the best prices I've found so far;
http://www.plantlightinghydroponics...ens-4ft-t5-fluorescent-grow-light-p-1937.html
Also, I can't seem to find Pro-Mix around here - what sizes does it come in & how much $ ?
Last nite I took some suckers off my tomatoes & tried the Jiffy Peat Pellets in Pearlite style of cloning (practice for the "real" herbs) & they still look great today - love all the info here on easy cloning techniques.

Looking good. We have those outdoor greenhouse shops around town, and thy always have ProMix. IME they usually have 2.8cu ft bales of ProMix for Containers, which run about $20. They will also usually have the 1cu ft bags of the same ProMix for $8. I've never had much luck finding it anywhere else.

I usually use rapid rooters for cloning tomatoes, though I've used peat pellets as well and they always work fine.

Hey zetaacosta, that sounds like fun! I've been looking into doing a small ebb & flow table with some tomatoes and peppers in it, maybe I will try to get one going soon. Hope to see some great pics when you're up and running!

Thanks to everybody in this thread I just ran out & got me some Provence Lavender & the wrong kind of strawberrys (Quinalt from HD) with a Sativa flowering time of 60-70 days.

Daemon - I'm gonna peel up the sidewalks around here to find some Pro-Mix - saw some awesome recipes here for homemade soil mixes using it.

Zetaacosta - Keep it up, man! I've had bad luck with cilantro in my outdoor garden - always going to flower too soon so I'm doing some indoors & it's lookin' good in FFHF soil so far.
Last year I grew some Tomatillos (Mexican green tomatoes for Salsa) & the plants looked like Banyon Trees by the middle of the summer - 5' tall & 5' wide & talk about LSTing! - it looked like one of those old fashioned laundry hangers in the back yard - really cool but they take up a lota space! I might try doing a Bonsai version inside just to see what happens.
You guys with your hydro stuff are beyond me for now, but after I get a few grows & some T5's under my belt - next year, watch out.

Mt Toaker

sounds like a very elaborate and expensive set up. If I'm growing pot I'm growing pot, I'm not worrying about false walls.

G

I have a window that faces south that I always have somthing in. Right now, sweet 100s (cherry toms), spearmint, different basils, and I tryed some flower and they never took. Coco ebb and flow that I only flood once a week. Im changing to aqua this fall.

Oh, and some t5s over my beloved miracle fruit seedlings.!!!

E

EatShitake

Niice! Just noticed the new forum :bashhead: Should have some maters,peppers,and various herbs going soon. Too hot here for outdoors right now, but later in the year I'll be able to move my indoors out.

:joint:

B

bigbluntbob

i have grown tomatoes indoors a few different times. right now i am growing tomatoes in a greenhouse, not really indoors, but i do use supplemental lighting (14,000watts) over a 700 plant dwc scrogg. i just built the greenhouse last fall and started harvesting early this spring and am well on my way to recovering my investment money. people love it when they hear "the roots have never touched the ground!"

i got busted for growing mj a few years ago. after i got out of lockup i took all the knowledge i had gaind from overgrow and applied it to tomatoes. this year makes four years of being a tomato farmer and i love it.

i started growing outdoors the first year and by last year i had enough money saved to build the greenhouse that i grow in now. i just ordered two more greenhouses that i will assemble this winter and fill with clones from the existing greenhouse.

in the last 4 years i have grown over 100,000 tomato plants and over 200 varieties. my favorite variety is Mortgage Lifter - its a beast. grow it if you ever get the chance.

it is cool to see the veggie forum. now i can nurse both my obsessions in one place.

take care,
bob

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you guys have me really wanting an indoor veggie garden, I have been saying it for years now, start some seeds and just do it, but havent been motivated enough to do it, now I can get some insight from you all, thanks!! I dont want a lot of plants but a tomato or 2 and a cpl of others would be great.

One of my fav things to eat in the summer when we get our tomatoes outside is[I forget the Italian name for it] slice tomatoes, sliced fresh mozarella cheese, chopped fresh basil and drizzled with olive oil! omg you cant beat that combo, its heaven in your mouth!! ...ohh I cant wait!! soooooon :D

If anyone has some pics of their setup indoor it would help me get ideas on how I should set it up, thanks :)

Great Thread

Great Thread

Mozzarella, Tomatoes, basil, olive oil... One of my favorite dishes... Tomatoes Caprese...delicious...

I've grown mostly orchids, purple basil, reg basil, chives, dill, and other herbs and flowers indoors...among other things...the purp basil is great very aromatic.

I had strawberries in my first hydro setup and they did good, but were a little too nuted up, though very red, obviously. Otherwise I have hyacinths and crap blooming about every where...Lilies...I multiply the bulbs this way in almost any free space I can find, had to cut down a bit or problems arise when one has too much on their plate at once.

Lilies flower on a 18/6, and love hanging out in my male and experimental boxes...

It would be helpful to myself if people could include any known induction times, whether plants are auto blooming, or whether they respond to increasing or decreasing light patterns.... Many thanks..Accumbens

Some old schl photos

Last edited:

Gottagrow

Other then my medical grow I have cucumbers, Cherry tomatos and Roma tomatos, Bell peppers and Butter lettuce. I find growing very spritual and relaxing, even though it takes alot of my time. Plus, I get to eat my labor cheers

Latest posts

Latest posts