What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indoor Veggie Growers??? Unite!!

Daemon

Haha, well why not?

I've searched around a bit and couldn't find any threads, other than specific plant questions.

Anyone else grow veggies indoors in addition to our lovely herb? I grow poppies, radishes, tomatoes, herbs(basil, cilantro, parsley), romaine and buttercrisp lettuce, and broccoli. I have two 2' 2 lamp T5's and one 2' T8 for my veggies. They all are doing very well and I've already harvested some delicious french breakfast radishes! I should have some very nice Roma and Paste tomatoes coming up here in a few weeks.

C'mon, I know I've seen some various veggies in the background of a few grow logs!

Also, does anyone have any tips for groing veggies indoors in soil? I've just switched from FFOF to ProMix/MG Organic Choice and I'm wondering if anyone else has grown veggies indoors in ProMix? I'll be using FF nutes and some organic nutes produced locally. I have a few 3000k bloom bulbs laying around, though I haven't used them yet for veggies yet. They worked great for poppies(anyone who says they can't be grown indoors in soil has no idea what they're talking about).

So lets hear it, what are y'all growing?

Grizz

Veteran
due to leo thats all I have going right now, tomatoes, carrots brocoli, peppers , squash, radish, strawberrys, first time inside , using coco and soil . will compare results, also using cana a and b for ferts. rather expensive but it gives me something to grow and I wan't to see if leo is watching my power bill.

1toke

Unfortunatly my g/f(roomate) is uncomfortable with growing anything illegal, so after many arguements, I've decided to grow out some legal plants. The idea of indoor growing has always fascinated me, and aslong as I can partake in the hobby I can deal without my mj. I have yet to start the veggies, but am in the process of getting everything together. I gutted a dresser and have a cooltube 100w HPS in there.. standard cab, nothin fancy. I'll try to get some pictures soon, im proud of it ha. I will let you know how things go once they get started. Would love to see what you've got working if you have any photo's to share.

GL

G

geminibud

I have 5 different tomato types going both indoor and out........It's the best relaxing thing to do.I'm going for my states record tomato weight for the BIG BOY Hybrid AND classic beefsteak variety.

Peace

Daemon

Cool! I would love to share some pics but I don't have a digital camera atm. My next paycheck is going towards other things but the one after that will be strictly for a new camera so I'll be able to share!

I am also very interested in growing things indoors, I love the ability to control the enviroment. There is a general lack of info(at least that I could find), online about growing veggies indoors so maybe we could have good discussion here? I am by no means an expert but I have been growing veggies for a while so I'd be happy to offer anything I can.

I've always been interested in growing strawberries inside, anyone care to offer any advice? How far along are your strawberries josey whales? How are average yields indoors? They have some beautiful strawberry starts at my local grow shop and I was thinking of buying 8 or so of them and seeing how I could do. I'm still researching how to properly fruit them and their light requirements so when I get that all figured out I will give them a try.

So far I have found the easiest plants to grow indoors to be lettuces, tomatoes, and radishes. Radishes are the absolute easiest IMO because they require very little space and finish very quickly. I've even been selling a good portion of my radishes to a few local establishments!

G

geminibud

Last batch of strawberry seedlings i bought gave my entire grow little flies of some sort that took me 4 months to get rid of LOL

Be carefull on bringing wild plants inside.

Peace

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
careful with that mircale grow organic. i got a horrid case of fungus gnats from their soil. and im not the only one. just a heads up for you guys.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
LOL....yeah 1Toke, my old lady is uncomfortable with my growing too. But, like I told her, she can either have a happy old SOB for a hubby, or a nasty, unhappy old SOB for a hubby. Her pick.

She has chosen well! :headbange

Besides, with my help she has one hell of a vegetable garden out back.

joebob13

Endo said:
careful with that mircale grow organic. i got a horrid case of fungus gnats from their soil. and im not the only one. just a heads up for you guys.

2nd to this. still need to fix the situation but no idea what to do.

G

I am/have grown - Strawberries and tomatoes (which both thrive!), Mint, Parsley and varies types of Lettuce (Which all bolted early and didn't produce any good lettuce as my room is too warm for them) ... All these along side my special herb either under a 400W MH on 18/6 or 20/4. Or uner a 600W HPS on 12/12 depending on if im vegging or flowering my special ladies.

If you look at the bottom right of this pic u can see three young Tomato plants and to the left of them there is a lil blue pot, that pot has a young Parsley in it haha, down in the shade of the ladies :p

Daemon

All good info!

Very nice looking grow Dr. Greenfinger! My tomato plants always sit right beside my ladies as well.

As for the MG Organic Choice, shit! I noticed I had what appear to be gnats this morning......ugh.

Jon

I've always been interested in growing veggies indoors. hope fully I'll be trying this out after the outdoor growing season. So do vegetables pay any attention to photoperiods?

BonsaiBud

I've just got a couple legals in my grow box. I hate to do this to ya guys, but I am paranoid and I also talk to lots of people about each and every one of my legals. As a result, I won't name them, or show pics of them here...Perhaps a tomato or lettuce would be ok? Yeah, so what triggers tomato? I just put one in my veg (pun) box and kinda expect it and one of my summer-blooming houseplants to flower. Veg box is 24/0.

Mt Toaker

I'm about to start growing veggies in my room when I move to my next lease starts, I don't feel like movin equipment when I have to move in a couple month. I have a 400w HPS that I used a couple years ago to grow buds but I'm real paranoid now after hear a bunch of growers getting busted around here I figured I'd wait on that till I'm out of college.

BonsaiBud

Build an outright growroom/closet. Fill it with legals. Put up a false wall so that you have a space about 2 deep. Put a 250 in there and grow herb. Then put a second false wall inside your secret flower chamber and do your clone trays and clone mums in there. Then, put up a third false wall inside the clone chamber and use the holy inner sanctum as your breeding laboratory with a half dozen males under glass domes, each with it's own pollen filter and computer fan.

chosen

Veteran
Bonsai is a nut. You make James Bond look like Maxwell Smart. Love growing veggies. I like growing flowers too and mint.

Daemon

Indeed, but he may be on to something there!

I love growing herbs as well! I find that they are especially suited to indoor cultivation and are quite easy to grow.

Anyone else have any tips on growing strawberries indoors? I'm thinking that, especially when using starts from a store, one should "quarantine" the plants first and make sure they don't introduce unwanted pests. Anyone have any advice as far as fruiting strawberries indoors?

Thanks!

smokeymacpot

Veteran
joebob13 said:
2nd to this. still need to fix the situation but no idea what to do.

you have fungus knats. put a sticky fly paper in there, and spray around with fly spray(pyretherin based or something), it kills the adults almost instantly on contact.

I started out in February germinating some organic tomato & pepper seeds that I harvested from last summers garden crop - the names sound like killer MJ varietys - Black Russian Krim, Aunt Ruby's German Green, Texas Wild, Brandywine, Amish Paste etc. Growin like crazy when I switched to FF Happy Frog soil. Already have a couple of flowers on them! I'm gonna try to clone some of the tomatoes just for practice & to give 'em to the neighbors.
Unfortunately a buddy gave me some bagseeds at the same time so I just threw them into FFHF & now I have 20 aggressive UFO's hidden in a staiwell with a shoplight/fluorex set-up trying to sex 'em & ditch the males & keep it all stealth from the old lady (so far, so good). They're makin me crazy, but with all the legal plants around it's a good cover.
I'm going to keep growing the "other" herbs all year now cause a friend at a local farmers market wants to sell them at his stand so I'm sucking up all the knowledge that ICMag has to offer - better than going to college!

G

FLOWERING FOR INDOORS!

Strawberries grow awesome under 18/4, sending out shit loads of runners ... Flower well under 12/12 or 8/16, and if looked after produce some NICE fruit - Which doesn't get eaten by the birds!!! yay! lol.

Tomatoes seem to jst flower/fruit away constantly once they're mature, no matter the photoperiod, thats my experience.
My last ones neva stopped fruiting till I had to throw them away, (I like having them under 18/6) jst feed them a nice amount of tomato food and use good potting mix and a decent size pot and train them how u want, thin out the fruit etc. - They love it!!!
My current crop is root bound bt need to finish flowering the herb to make room them can pot up! yay lol.

Neva tried them in a hydro system.

Cheers all!