What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to keep plants in veg

shaman369

hello everyone!! just thought i would ask what is the best way to keep a plant in veg until i want to bring outside. i have some seeds i want to pop and keep vegging until april but i want to force it to stay in veg until im ready as to let it really get good rooting and many nodes so when i bring it outside its a few feet and ready to start to flower.

S

Sertaiz

-put lights.....

-could be another way with voodoo dolls or something, but i dont know

-grow autoflowering strains

Sunshineinabag

hello everyone!! just thought i would ask what is the best way to keep a plant in veg until i want to bring outside. i have some seeds i want to pop and keep vegging until april but i want to force it to stay in veg until im ready as to let it really get good rooting and many nodes so when i bring it outside its a few feet and ready to start to flower.

IF you keep the plant on a light schedule of 18-20 hours you should be able to keep a PHOTPERIOD plant in vegetative state.

Last edited:
S

Sertaiz

if you wait too long into the spring it will not flower when put out, but veg all spring and half the summer, and bud by fall

autoflowers go a certain number of days and then flower automatically

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Take cuttings of mother plant. Yes, high nitrogen will revert back to veggie state given enough light.

Likewise as others said....autos are great! ;o)

high nitrogen 20/4 lights.
Nitrogen is only a building block will not keep a plant in vegetative state.
Photo period has an effect on plant hormones.
High levels of Auxin, a plant hormone occurs during short light period. 18 hours of light and 6 hours of dark or 12 hours of light and 1 hour of light in the middle of the dark cycle will keep auxin levels at a point that flowering will be delayed.
Also potting up to ever larger container will keep plant from becoming root bound, will signal the plant that it is time for flowering.

Sunshineinabag

If u take cuttings off the mother plant.....the cuttings will be exactly like the mother plant. Then u can keep as many plants in veg as Ud like! U don't have to keep one plant in perma veg, he is offering u another way to achieve your goal is all brother!

de145

No need to bother with a timer, 24/0 works great with a non-autoflower plant and it means you get more growth in less time. There is no practical reason I've ever seen to bother with a timer in the veg room in my personal experience.

Get a lamp that can take several bulbs, buy a box of LED daylight 100 watt equivalent and point them at the plant 24 hours a day as close as you can get without the leaves turning away from the light or bleaching and that's it until spring.
Don't forget to "harden off" the plant when you put it outside, going straight from indoors to outdoors without easing into it with a few hours at a time is a recipe for a dead plant. It needs to acclimate to the stronger sun, colder weather etc. Do a few more hours progressively each day until you can leave it out overnight, only then is it ready to plant.

shaman369

thanks guys for the advice really appreciate it. im not sure if going to take cuttings dont want to keep any plants all season inside in veg, rather just finish it out just looking to veg for as long as possible to create a gigantic monster outside lol

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can transplant to a new pot, flushing roots add fresh soil. You can put additional bacteria and additives to the soil mix if you like to further stimulate the re-vegging process. At this stage you will have to put your lady under 20-24 hours of light, so it goes back to the vegetative phase. Once it has fully recovered, you can switch to 18 hours of light, like you normally would. Your plant is in stress and shock mode now and will produce strange mutations in the first two weeks like round leaves. This is completely normal for the regeneration process and a more normal growth should start after about two weeks. This also means, that you have to be really careful with watering and adding nutrients because you don't want to overwater or overfeed your baby.

After a few weeks, your plant is ready to get into flower mode again. Trim back the strange leaves and give your experiment a little rest, then switch to 12/12 light cycle. This can save you time compared to a full cycle from seed to harvest.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
high nitrogen 20/4 lights.
The benefits of rejuvenating your cannabis plants can be plenty if done correctly. Unfortunately, a lot can go wrong and usually regenerated plants tend to yield far less in every successive harvest, and often show hermaphrodite tendencies, the quality and potency can be reduced and the stress that comes with this process can also force the plant to take a long recovery (which eliminates the time advantage).

Moreover, regeneration does not work with all strains and specimen of cannabis.

RQS paraphrase