What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

`

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
If a mum plant is compromised I take cuttings and
go from there. At worst I take cuttings from her again to
get healthy stock renewal.

Granger2

Veteran
Homie,
Here's what I do, and it has worked pretty well so far.

I take cuttings from new plants as soon as there is a viable growing tip suitable for a cutting. That becomes a Mother plant.

When I take cuttings from a Mother, I take extras in case something doesn't root. That gives me extra plants that become Mothers. I throw the old ones out. I want to keep them small anyway and in solo cups. I only need to produce cuttings for 27 sq ft, so this works pretty easy.

Occasionally, I need to prune way back, and root prune. I feed well right before doing so. They are very well root bound. I don't remove more than about 20% of the roots. This allows space for addition of new coco/20%perlite. Good luck. -granger

oldbootz

Veteran
There are stories of people keeping the same cuts for 30+ years.

The user here Sammy is an example. He has kept a Nevilles Haze and a A5 haze cut alive since some time in the 80s-90s. Maybe he can give some good points about this.

Myself I have seen that if you clone from a less vigorous or diseased plant, the clone shows those same problems. Cloning must be taken from green supple stems (not woody) and from young plants or cuttings, not aged ones. My general rule is that if a cutting gets to the 7th leaf node, its ready to be topped for a clone.

Some people swear by sunlight grown plants to revitalize a cut that's not doing well. We have been able to first restore vigor in gifted clones over some months of intensive care and treatment in organic soils in the sun and then clone from that healthy new growth, and the clones take off in good vigor.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I take new cuttings of my mother plants at least once a year.

I also use Bonsai Mums for genetics I want to keep long term. If I'm remembering correctly, I believe OT1 fit 12 mums/dads under a 2-lamp, 4 foot shop light. They use very little resources that way.

Bmac1

Veteran
I keep bonsai moms as well. Ive kept the same mum for a couple years. A root prune here and there with some new dirt really perks them up when they look down. I do tend to take new cuts and replace the mom if needed though.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Here's a pic of the mum thunk, kept in a 6 ounce coco hempy cup:

picture.php

That's vegged about 90 days with 48W PL L.

I take cuttings to root for the next set of mums,
and flower the donor.

negative37dBA

Veteran
I have done the Bonsai thing for quite a while in the past with no problems and great results from the older moms.
picture.php

This was a run with clones from a 3 year old mom from that group...
This was day 63.
picture.php

peace, negative.

insomniac_AU

Personally I don't do the mother plant thing. I find keeping a plant for more than a couple of months in my tiny setup becomes unmanageable.
I take cuts early in veg so the strain is perpetuated. They are well and truly rooted and growing before I flip.
Correct me if I'm wrong but a clone is the same plant as the mother surely? No matter how many times you clone it it's the same plant as the original. Am I wrong? Personally I've never noticed degradation over time in any aspect.
I'm not trying to say I'm right at all just there are different methods to suit different scenarios.

Nice pics negative. :tiphat:

negative37dBA

Veteran
Personally I don't do the mother plant thing. I find keeping a plant for more than a couple of months in my tiny setup becomes unmanageable.
I take cuts early in veg so the strain is perpetuated. They are well and truly rooted and growing before I flip.
Correct me if I'm wrong but a clone is the same plant as the mother surely? No matter how many times you clone it it's the same plant as the original. Am I wrong? Personally I've never noticed degradation over time in any aspect.
I'm not trying to say I'm right at all just there are different methods to suit different scenarios.

Nice pics negative. :tiphat:

Thanks man...that was a good run. Regarding space and keeping moms. You do not need much. I had those 7 moms in a very small cab. 36"H x 30"W x 22" deep. Kept under 2, two foot T-5 HO fixtures. Get to be friends with your scissors and learn root pruning and you will be fine. I probably could have fit 3 more in there if I wanted to. I did not have the keepers to fill it up at that time.
Have a great one, negative.

I have a couple of 20 + year old clone only OGs.
I get the best results when I have a very big and healthy mother plant. Keeping smaller moms will hurt the yield when I take clones from her.
This is just my experience, as long as you're taking the healthiest tops for your clones your mother plant Health should stay viable for a couple of decades.

insomniac_AU

Thanks man...that was a good run. Regarding space and keeping moms. You do not need much. I had those 7 moms in a very small cab. 36"H x 30"W x 22" deep. Kept under 2, two foot T-5 HO fixtures. Get to be friends with your scissors and learn root pruning and you will be fine. I probably could have fit 3 more in there if I wanted to. I did not have the keepers to fill it up at that time.
Have a great one, negative.

I have kept mothers in the past. I kept Shiva Shanti in the 90s for about 6 years. I had a much bigger grow area then though. I do intend to improve my setup when I move but that's a year or 2 away. I also want to have a second flower box for males. I've grown for years but never bred. That's the next frontier for me. :)