What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are we ahead of the curve or fooling ourselves?

tech1234

So I am on some general gardening forums and I find that a lot of the accepted truths of the canna world are not accepted by the avid tomato/pumpkin ect growers.

Things like:
high P ferts to signal flower
Azomite
Any rock dust
beneficials in container plants
way more that I cant think of at the moment...

Do you guys think this is because we focus on every detail more closely because of the risks and money involved, or do you think we are over thinking/doing it? Some of the tomato experts have some amazing results with a lot less effort than we put in

MicroRoy

Growing weed is all about the flowers. Growing tomatoes is all about the fruit. Not everything crosses over.

MicroRoy

Woth y carrotsTE=shithawk420;7450199]YES!! Exactly what microroy said.different goals.[/QUOTE]

With my carrots I want to grow enough greens to fuel root growth. Flowers would ruin everything.

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
gotta agree with Weird. if a lb of tomatoes/pumpkins or roses went for a couple of grand, i bet growers would be trying everything to squeeze out another oz.

shithawk420

Veteran
Yep.if I can I'll show you guys my greenhouse.got kale, different flowers, I do need carrots though

MicroRoy

The value of weed is inflated by it's legal status.If it was as legal as other plants it's value would be closer to dried beans than tomatoes.

It could be planted with drills. Just like corn or beans. You would have some farmers dedicated to producing seeds. Then farmers would select varieties that fit there climate.

They would set the drills for wide rows. Then after it sprouted they would send a crew of migrant workers with hoes to cultivate and set the spacing in the rows. They might need to make two passes in a season.

Harvest would be done with a machine somewhat like a McCormics reaper. Picked up by the farm laborers stacked on a truck then hauled to drying sheds.

More labor than dried beans less than tomatoes.

MileHighGlass

The value of weed is inflated by it's legal status.If it was as legal as other plants it's value would be closer to dried beans than tomatoes.

It could be planted with drills. Just like corn or beans. You would have some farmers dedicated to producing seeds. Then farmers would select varieties that fit there climate.

They would set the drills for wide rows. Then after it sprouted they would send a crew of migrant workers with hoes to cultivate and set the spacing in the rows. They might need to make two passes in a season.

Harvest would be done with a machine somewhat like a McCormics reaper. Picked up by the farm laborers stacked on a truck then hauled to drying sheds.

More labor than dried beans less than tomatoes.

But then there are people like me who will pay 4-5 times what average tomato costs for an organic heirloom tomato. The same exists in the cannabis world.

There are stores here in Denver with $99 ounces. It's pretty much what you speak of. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, but it's there if you want it. :)

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I can't agree more @MileHighGlass!

I grow my tomatoes very similar to my herbs. That's because I use my res water on my tomatoes every week when I change my res'. All my veggies and herbs will set you back a little more than the roundup sprayed garbage at the next booth at the farmers market. I don't advertise as organic because that word sucks, I just say "all natural". People can tell the difference, that's why I can never grow as much as I can sell. Even the cut flowers I grow, florists flip their shit for my flowers. They are grown all natural with compost teas etc. They last twice as long as Chen grown flowers.

You get out what you put in, just like everything else in life.

MicroRoy

But then there are people like me who will pay 4-5 times what average tomato costs f.

There are stores here in Denver with $99 ounce

So tomatoes are $3.00 a pound you pay $12.00 for quality.

Thats a whole lot less than $99 dollars an ounce. Or $400 dollars an ounce for quality.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
But then there are people like me who will pay 4-5 times what average tomato costs for an organic heirloom tomato. The same exists in the cannabis world.

There are stores here in Denver with $99 ounces. It's pretty much what you speak of. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, but it's there if you want it. :)

If you are spending that kind of money on tomatoes...I hope you know your source and have seen where they are grown. Organic heirloom tomatoes in the commercial market...like most any "organic" product being sold...is almost a complete hustle. It's little more than a marketing label. Sad but true.

shithawk420

Veteran
Yeah exactly jericho.real heirlooms are not being sold.they are closely guarded. I can't even get seeds

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
a little of both...growers are more suckers than most so theres a lot of snake oils and bullshit...yeehaw...theres a point of diminishing returns on most plants ,,but with mj its a lot higher due to end product pricing ...I tend to use stuff widely used in the horticulture industry ...backed by science and studies not some stoner growing in a closet saying so...heirlooms rule ..the amish hold quite a selection..

MileHighGlass

If you are spending that kind of money on tomatoes...I hope you know your source and have seen where they are grown. Organic heirloom tomatoes in the commercial market...like most any "organic" product being sold...is almost a complete hustle. It's little more than a marketing label. Sad but true.

Farmers market straight form the grower.

I don't have any idea what a standard tomato costs per pound honestly. I have only bought/grown organic for the past 10 years. I was assuming from the reaction from friends and family when they find out how much I spend, and also from what they say things cost.

Before I moved to Colorado I grew approximately 1000 pounds of my own food per year. I used notill raised soil beds, and everything was grown naturally. I would cover the beds with mini hoop houses in the winter, and harvest the entire year.

One Christmas everyone got fresh bok choy because I had about 60 heads ready at once.

All that being said "good" quality cannabis for $400 is not necessarily the truth either. It is all relative.

MileHighGlass

So tomatoes are $3.00 a pound you pay $12.00 for quality.

Thats a whole lot less than $99 dollars an ounce. Or $400 dollars an ounce for quality.

$12 divided by 4 = $3
$400 divided by $99 = 4.04040404

I don't understand because it appears those ratios are almost the exact. Am I missing something?

MicroRoy

I rounded up his $99 to $100

The original question was ahead of the curve.? Or deluding yourself? Comparing growing weed to grawing a garden.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Farmers market straight form the grower.

I don't have any idea what a standard tomato costs per pound honestly. I have only bought/grown organic for the past 10 years. I was assuming from the reaction from friends and family when they find out how much I spend, and also from what they say things cost.

Before I moved to Colorado I grew approximately 1000 pounds of my own food per year. I used notill raised soil beds, and everything was grown naturally. I would cover the beds with mini hoop houses in the winter, and harvest the entire year.

One Christmas everyone got fresh bok choy because I had about 60 heads ready at once.

All that being said "good" quality cannabis for $400 is not necessarily the truth either. It is all relative.

Not to be a smart ass...but...Farmers Markets are yet another label. You may just be surprised what a racket they are...and how dishonest some of the vendors turn out to be.

Living in Southern California..they have those Farmers Markets every day of the week in one ville or another....same vendors...same produce...same prices...same sales pitches. It's like a weekly Dead tour...

I'd say about 1/2 of what is sold is legit....and the other 1/2 is people getting stuff wholesale from whatever wholesaler and selling it retail. It's a straight hustle...even sold right on the street...like that brings it closer to the earth and further from the standard american diet trough... consumerism.

I've never eaten a tomato from any Farmers Market that tastes like homegrown ones. It's still mass produced...repetitive product...like a Whole Foods chain. Also never found any rare Heirlooms. Pretty much the standards...and some colorful varieties to catch the eye.

My experience...

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Got a guy here in town that sales fresh organic heirloom tomatoes. People buy em up for 3.50/lb. He really grows then around the corner from me in coco pots with GH 3 part nutes in a big greenhouse under lights. And they taste like hot house grown tomatoes. Hardly any flavor at all to em.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
or do you think we are over thinking/doing it?

you're over doing and thinking it. i say you're and not we because i don't add all that fancy shit to my grows i keep it ballin on a budget. :tiphat: cheap or free. my nutes are either some dry ferts one for flower and one for veg, or some bottled ferts which i'm about to run out of gh micro/bloom and organically i only have one bottle some alaska fish. everything else comes from the soil itself or the environment.