What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Poppy seeds...

Betterhaff

Veteran
Pretty cool…starting to look like the Little Shop of Horrors.

Attachments

• Ken-Taylor-Little-Shop-of-Horrors-Poster-Mondo.jpg
    Ken-Taylor-Little-Shop-of-Horrors-Poster-Mondo.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 27

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Here are a couple links.
The first is a source of inexpensive seeds. After this short tutorial I expect others may want to add a Poppy to their garden.
Second is outdoor poppy growing areas in the USA and Federal Law concerning growing opium poppies in America.

Using the reverse lighting, veg at 12/12 and flower at 18/6, the same nutrients can also be used.
General Hydroponics three part is being used. Watering is done from the same reservoir. Any system made for marijuana can be used for poppy.

https://www.onestoppoppyshoppe.com/product-page/poppy-flower-seeds-dwarf-danish-flag-b8
https://gobotany.newenglandwild.org/species/papaver/somniferum/

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
First flower showed up 84 days after germination.
Seedpods should be done in about six weeks if memory serves.
The petals only appeared hours ago, the inside cannot yet be seen.

Attachments

• First flower not yet fully opened.jpg
    First flower not yet fully opened.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 540w angled, 400w vertical, 650w overhead.jpg
    540w angled, 400w vertical, 650w overhead.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Next flower maybe tomorrow.jpg
    Next flower maybe tomorrow.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 30
B

Bongi

I did try to cultivate this beautiful flower but my seedlings died. Does anyone know why this might happend? Is there some kind of special envoirment or soil that seedlings need?

I can get seeds of var. Tasmania, Afghan blue, Big joe, The Giant, Sissinghurst White and Danebrog. Is any of these well suited for indoor cultivation?

Phaeton you grow Danish flag or Daneborg indoors right? Did you mean by milligram of extract the latex or alkaloids? Is this number from your own experiments?

I think I will use led lighting because I can add them to end of arm and then place the light to shine to bods and to leaves. I think this is better idea than illuminating plant from one distance.

How many watts of lighting I should use for bods or leaves? How far away? I dont have light meter.

Last edited:

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Poppies use a lot more light than marijuana. The seedlings need full light from before they emerge.
Starting forty jiffy pots of poppies and rinsing all the dirt off one each day showed a half inch seedling with up to eighteen inch roots all thinner than hairs on my arm. No transplanting those safely.
It takes a lot of energy to grow roots that long, but the thinness requires length.
In these photos a 1000 watt veg area (4' by 4') had another 540 watts added for best growth. This is a bit too much for the marijuana plant usually in the spot. Poppy vegging is done in the bud room, the container with the seedling is put even with the top of the marijuana plants for proper intensity.

Three days after first flower the petals have fallen off and a green seed pod is maturing.
Meanwhile another 14 flower pods have opened. Only 53 to go in the seven gallon container.
The three gallon container was allowed an extra week of veg but still is undersized in comparison. The seven gallon container has three plants, each of which exceeds the single plant in the three gallon container.
When the seed pod is ripe the seeds will be counted.

The seed pods have the equivalent effect of 4 mg of morphine sulfate if eaten whole so they should be kept out of reach of children until too dry to eat.
This should be easy as the pods dry on the stems, allowing the autumn winds to disperse the seeds only when blowing hard.
Outdoor strains use a single pod 4' to 6' above the ground, dwarf strains use multiple pods closer to the ground.

Attachments

• Three days from flower to pod.jpg
    Three days from flower to pod.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Third day, 14 flowers.jpg
    Third day, 14 flowers.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 1 seed pod, 14 flowers, 53 flower pods.jpg
    1 seed pod, 14 flowers, 53 flower pods.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 28

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
VERY easy to grow them outdoors.
They grow way better in my shitty native sandy red clay than in the nice soil I originally made for them.
Scatter the seeds in December or January, right on top of broken up ground.
They will sprout tiny seedlings by late February to mid March..
Do not worry if it snows a foot deep on top of the seedlings.. They love it..

Here's a few pictures from last April and May..

Attachments

• May 2.jpg
    May 2.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 25
  • april 20, 2017.jpg
    april 20, 2017.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 29
  • collecting sap.jpg
    collecting sap.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 36

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Looks similar to https://www.onestoppoppyshoppe.com/product-page/somniferum-poppy-flower-seeds-pink-dawn-f7 which are a foot too tall for my indoor garden area.

I have acquaintances trying to convince me to put poppies in the failed tunnel greenhouse. Too cool for marijuana, the poppies should grow fine.
BUT... that 'knowing' and 'intent' thing with a tunnel full of poppy plants is worrisome. Marijuana is more than halfway legal, Poppy is less than halfway legal.

Betterhaff

Veteran
That whole “knowing and intent” thing is crazy and ambiguous. Really a lot left to interpretation and by whom. What if you’re “knowingly” growing for seed?

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
The little 1" pod posted above was way early so It got plucked and eaten. A good scratch feels so fine once again, it has been a few years since growing poppies. The photo below has six more pods with upright crowns. The seeds inside are the size and color (clear) of trichomes at this point.
Over fifty more pods and flowers will develop over the next few weeks.

"Intent" depends on whether or not the grower is being noticed and why. A couple of indoor plants, even with a jar full of pods is not something a federal agency cares about.
No scoring, no grinding, no slurry, but if the agency involved was angry already then just having a seedling would be "knowingly" growing.

"...crazy and ambiguous." yep, that is them by design.

Attachments

• IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 31

Green Birth

Never had any luck growing poppies. They just withered in the frost of the first day in the pots outside. Frozen the root base and needed up rotting. Still have a great passion for fruit though.

shack

The pictures in the previous post is from a little experiment i did back in 2009. If I'd of known the possible punishment I probably wouldn't have done it. The seeds were gifted to me so i don't know the strain.
I planted the seeds in April of 2008, not a plant came up. The following spring, April 2009, they finally came up.

St. Phatty

I think Papaver Somniferum is a very interesting subject.

Last time I brought it up the word was to keep it on the down-low, it ruffles federal feathers.

Anyway since we have a thread I thought I'd mention a grow I witnessed ... at a community garden in the Richmond in SF.

The Richmond is the foggy area that averages 50 to 70 degrees in temperatures (day and night) and averages maybe 4 hours of sun a day.

Anyway, there was this old Russian guy who had a plot. He grew Poppies big. Always had a big smile when I saw him. I got the impression it was a functional medical garden for him.

therevverend

Veteran
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-30/opium-poppy-head-theft-booms-in-tasmania/8757558

Article is a good example of why you should know what you're doing before you fuck about with poppies. The ones bred for the pharmaceutical industry contain different alkaloids then table poppies. Probably not enjoyable in their raw form they have to be processed into codeine, morphine, and the other ingredients in the opiate medications. Poppy tea isn't just one drug like cannabis it contains varying amounts of very different drugs that produce a host of different effects some of which I'd consider poisons. Takes a lab and a chemistry degree to refine them into something that would create effects that could be considered pleasurable.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-opioid-crisis-hits-tasmania-s-poppy-farmers
Unhappy times in poppy town. I recently had shingles the doctor said that filling opiate prescriptions is illegal now! Fucked me over because he didn't prescribe me enough for the amount of pain I was in. The level of paranoia about opiate use is off the charts in the US I can tell the medical community isn't happy about it. I'd say it's what they deserve after over prescribing opiates but it's the people in serious pain who are getting hurt.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
There are species and cultivars with undesirable alkaloids but plants for most seed or dried heads, and most somniferums altogether make a tea that the internet warns is pretty strong - mostly morphine and codeine. It doesn't have to be Persian this or Giant that and maybe those kinds are more conspicuous outdoors anyways. It's not hard to get morphine from the straw except yes that involves chemicals.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Just like marijuana strains, poppy genetics have some strains more potent than others.
A mutation being developed by commercial growers stops chemical production at thebaine, which is poisonous. Currently available poppy plants have converted their thebaine into codeine and morphine. To manufacture oxycodone, fentanyl, etc, the codeine and morphine have to be converted back to thebaine and then built up into the synthetics.
The mutation allows the thebaine to be harvested directly, saving the companies money when manufacturing the much more addictive and powerful forms.
At this time the mutation has not been stabilized for commercial production and viable seeds are protected.

Meanwhile, back at the farm...

Both the technology and my skills must have improved in the last five years, over 120 seed pods from four plants and another 60 or so flowers and flower pods still to go.
The crown on the pod is formed to the pod, after the petals drop the crown begins to point upwards.
Eventually the green flaps between the crown points will open, signifying the seeds are mature and drying begins.
The pod will resemble a salt shaker and the seeds come out the same way when the stem leans over and the wind shakes it.

Right now the seeds are still translucent and tasty, the pod chews easily and is full of vitamins. Once the pod opens and dries it becomes close to impossible to eat without three stomachs and the ability to chew cud.

A few more days and dissections will begin. A sharp knife works while the pods are soft, a jeweler's saw is used after they dry. Hard and brittle is an understatement.
Never actually counted seeds from individual pods, expecting upwards of 300 per pod. It could be triple.

Attachments

• More than 100 pods showing in this photo.jpg
    More than 100 pods showing in this photo.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Crown is down.jpg
    Crown is down.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Crown is up.jpg
    Crown is up.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 21
  • Ridges under the crown will open up when seeds are ready.jpg
    Ridges under the crown will open up when seeds are ready.jpg