Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Proper way to decontaminate room after russet mite invasion without breaking the ban?

Thread Title Search
Proper way to decontaminate room after russet mite invasion without breaking the ban? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2018, 11:45 PM #21
Bird of Hermes

Bird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Green Sr. View Post
they're not gonna get in your electronics and stuff.
Why would they? nothing to eat in there..
And you don't need to waste 2 months!
clean it every day for a week and you should be good to go....

PS, yeah, you have to get rid of all the medium that has been in that room..
Thanks man that takes a load off my mind and if doesnt take too long to disinfect the room like i thought that'll be even better i figured i wouldnt be able have any smoke till next fall.
Bird of Hermes is offline Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 11:50 PM #22
Bird of Hermes

Bird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of lightBird of Hermes is a glorious beacon of light
Perlite is inert volcanic glass i have 4 big bags of it and figured its good if i bake it at 400°F for a hour or two. Nothing should be able to survive that and baking inert perlite wont change it that i know of. Not sure that i can trust dirt from my area for the time being so going back to perlite and hydroton for the near future.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:53 PM #23
redlaser

redlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant future
Hemp, russet, and broad mites are very sensitive to heat. Hot air and water treatments will kill mites, just have to make sure not to overdo the heat part.

111-114 water for twenty minutes is the limit, 115 will kill. Really only practical on unrooted cuttings or some type of dipping method.

115-116f air is more practical as long as the plants aren’t too tall, because with every foot of height there is a 2-4 degree difference in temp.

I’ve never had any of these pests to my knowledge, but I have tried both of these methods 5-6 times to be able to do it correctly.
118f air will have at least 50% losses, multiple thermometers at various heights needed to accurately tell temps during treatments.
redlaser is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:13 AM #24
Bird of Hermes

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlaser View Post
Hemp, russet, and broad mites are very sensitive to heat. Hot air and water treatments will kill mites, just have to make sure not to overdo the heat part.

111-114 water for twenty minutes is the limit, 115 will kill. Really only practical on unrooted cuttings or some type of dipping method.

115-116f air is more practical as long as the plants aren’t too tall, because with every foot of height there is a 2-4 degree difference in temp.

I’ve never had any of these pests to my knowledge, but I have tried both of these methods 5-6 times to be able to do it correctly.
118f air will have at least 50% losses, multiple thermometers at various heights needed to accurately tell temps during treatments.
Im really hoping they were contained to the one cab i doused the infected ladies with rubbing alcohol, chopped them then stuffed them in a trash bag. I poured a bottle of straight alcohol into the bag and sealed it up. I really hope those lil bastards are dying a painful death in there right now ive never felt so much rage torwards another lifeform in my entire life lol.

The second cab with the NLx ladies shows no damage, all the pistils are healthy and i dont see any running around under 60x. The infected cab was obvious and severe EVERY pistil had shriveld as soon as flowers appeared. If i scoped the budsites i immidiately would see at least a few running around i didnt have to search at all.

I got a fan circulating air inside the first cab with the intake and exhaust fans turned off. After a hour i got temps up to 100f not sure my 400w will get it up to around 120 but im gonna try. Ive even contemplated taking a heat gun to the cab but i might mess the panda film up and have to reskin it. That might be needed in the end but trying to avoid having to reskin it that took a lot of panda film and gorilla tape.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:15 AM #25
Bird of Hermes

Thanks again guys for the help and shoulders to cry on i gtg to work ill heat treat that cab more later and post combat reports as i hopefully eradicate these lil douchebags.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:15 AM #26
~star~crash~

~star~crash~ is a survivor~star~crash~ is a survivor~star~crash~ is a survivor~star~crash~ is a survivor~star~crash~ is a survivor~star~crash~ is a survivor~star~crash~ is a survivor~star~crash~ is a survivor~star~crash~ is a survivor~star~crash~ is a survivor~star~crash~ is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbootz View Post
Not an option for everyone, but when I have a nasty pest in a room and have had to clear out the plants, I just let the room sit empty for a month and usually by then the bugs have died of starvation.
i did that ...shut down the room for 6 months ...they left & died & did not come back i didn't clean one single thing ...you can also use the no pest strips ...They work
~star~crash~ is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:21 AM #27
Bird of Hermes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~star~crash~ View Post
i did that ...shut down the room for 6 months ...they left & died & did not come back i didn't clean one single thing ...you can also use the no pest strips ...They work
I'll look into those tyty and yeah ill shut things down until they are gone hopefully it doesnt take too long but im not gonna but time and effort into growing them food. Nor do i want future babies suffering so no point in starting anything until this is over. The pest strips might help my hopefully unaffected NL ladies if i lose them i really wont have any smoke for a LONG TIME

Old 02-14-2018, 12:23 AM #28
Bird of Hermes

Put time and effort*

Old 02-14-2018, 01:17 AM #29
redlaser

redlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
Im really hoping they were contained to the one cab i doused the infected ladies with rubbing alcohol, chopped them then stuffed them in a trash bag. I poured a bottle of straight alcohol into the bag and sealed it up. I really hope those lil bastards are dying a painful death in there right now ive never felt so much rage torwards another lifeform in my entire life lol.

The second cab with the NLx ladies shows no damage, all the pistils are healthy and i dont see any running around under 60x. The infected cab was obvious and severe EVERY pistil had shriveld as soon as flowers appeared. If i scoped the budsites i immidiately would see at least a few running around i didnt have to search at all.

I got a fan circulating air inside the first cab with the intake and exhaust fans turned off. After a hour i got temps up to 100f not sure my 400w will get it up to around 120 but im gonna try. Ive even contemplated taking a heat gun to the cab but i might mess the panda film up and have to reskin it. That might be needed in the end but trying to avoid having to reskin it that took a lot of panda film and gorilla tape.
If your space has no plants, 120 is no problem, needs to be twenty minutes minimum, I’d do an hour or two. Even hotter if possible, since temps will vary from the top versus the bottom of the space.
To be more effective, repeat the treatment 2-3 times.

If plants are being treated along with the room, 118 is too hot, and fans will make even 116-117 to cause losses. In a small space fans aren’t needed, only larger spaces, and dont have fans blowing on plants at all.
Maybe add another light, or space heater, to hit the temps needed.

And, hate to bring bad news, but the chances of the healthy cab having mites is good if the cabs are at all close to each other. Hopefully not, but it’s a possibility.
redlaser is offline Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 08:32 AM #30
palmeezy

palmeezy is on a distinguished road
don't use no pest strips since you sleep in the room.

getting rid of them depends on how you got them. storm shadow has posted the answers and is probably tired of repeating himself.
palmeezy is offline Quote