What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who's all been breeding their own autos?

Mr Jay

Veteran
I think those dragon crosses stemmed from the blue berry headband I'm working with. I'm thinking of the auto flower portal stone dragon.

Last I checked Mossy made a lot of the dragon crosses with deep chunk, then they kind of became a community endeavor.

ArcticHerbsman

nordic outdoor auto tester

nordic outdoor auto tester

Hello everyone. Hobby auto project, started with pollinating a Tropical Viking female from Norden Seeds with a male from Thai Passion from Lala. The tropical were true to description, fruity flowers with happy, chatty effect. Thai Passion also true to description with lot of variation between plants, but strong and hardy, some nice smells mentol and one peppery, bit stronger and more stoney than the tropical.

Few generations later cross to Ace PurpleHazeXMalawi, and next generation was reallly nice, but didnt find suitable parents for next incross, so as last resort was crossed back to another tropical auto girl and this is her offspring. She spent summer in very small fabric pot, started inside finish outside. Nice, fast plants for an early summer smoke, but litte bit tiring stone if you smoke more. Maybe will backcross again later, if the HazeMalawi comes for another round, but just for fun.

Happy growing!

ArcticHerbsman

Anyone made clean, uplifting autoflower?

Anyone made clean, uplifting autoflower?

Thanks bibi! It was lot of fun.

Living in the north im interested to see how good autoflowers can get by crossing to favourite, uplifting plants... The viking cross being bit dirty in effect, seems like not the best starting point for that, so now ripening is a Muay Thai from Flash pollinated by Ethiopian Highland male from Ace.

Out of two packs Muay Thai this was only surviving girl, and she grew incredibly slow, took weeks just to grow first true leaves, after a late final repot she stayed small, but healthy. Never grew her before so dont know what to expect, we see:kos:

Here she is before pollination..

Blessings

Big M

Last year I grew out a few different types of bagseed. One turned out to be 100% auto and got the label of strain #1; had one male and one female. Another was a mix of auto and photo, all female, and got the label #2. I pollinated the #1 female and the nicest structured auto #2 with the #1 male. Definitely far from breeding, just basic pollen chucking enabled by chance to play around. I also used the #1 male to pollinate one each of ILGM's auto Northern Lights and auto Amnesia Haze.

Haven't popped any of the beans I made yet. Too many legit strains to run from Ace and Afterthought Autos to take up space right now, but it feels good to have a ton of seed to play around with at some point. I'll probably put a few of each outside next year just out of curiosity. It will be fun to see what pops up.

PDX Dopesmoker

One out of four of these should be autos
GmgJf1b.jpg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
if you are pulling air through your ladies room & exhausting, but NOT doing so in the boys room, i would be paranoid about pollination.

PDX Dopesmoker

I did my first genocidal culling, the one I uprooted was in between two of the autos and it wasn't giving them shoulder room. I was thinking about switching to 12/12 and trying to flower out some of the non-autos after I find all the autos, but its beginning to look like I might not have space for that, so all of the unwanted genetics will probably have to go.
ooLctMe.jpg

PDX Dopesmoker

I got 4 female autos and 4 male autos out of 33 sprouts in my impromptu closet grow. 8 of those I culled without finding out if they were autoflowering or not, so I did pretty well luck wise. The weed gods have favored me yet again, thank you weed gods!
This is a picture of the big one they gave me, look at all those tops and its got a wonderful flat canopy so far too, did it all by itself. If the canopy doesn't stay flat then I might be out of luck, that center stalk has me worried that its going to try and outstretch the 2' or so I have left of remaining headroom before I have to resort to carpentry to raise the lamp.
uPD7baS.jpg

Now that the autos have revealed themselves I'm easing down to 13/11 on the lighting because I have a little Glue clone in there to help catch pollen.

PDX Dopesmoker

Looks like that plant stretched more than an inch overnight and I'm pretty sure those pale tips are from excess light, so I guess I'll probably end up having remove the shelf from the top my grow closet and hang the lamp from the ceiling. I just raised it 12" a couple days ago & I can raise it another 12" before I have to remove the shelf, so I have two weeks or so to come up with a carpentry plan. I have two 10 gallon containers of dirt with two female autos sharing each one, so they have the opportunity to get pretty tall, I guess I might also have to come up with a plan to keep them from overstretching the available headroom, maybe netting or a glass ceiling or something like that.

PDX Dopesmoker

Whats the possibility that I bred something like a super auto by accident if I crossed a regular strain that flowers for 12 weeks with a standard auto thats done in 11 weeks from seed?

zif

Veteran
Whats the possibility that I bred something like a super auto by accident if I crossed a regular strain that flowers for 12 weeks with a standard auto thats done in 11 weeks from seed?

The theory is the F1 plants will all be super/fast/semi-autos, because that comes from the heterozygous photo/auto state.

PDX Dopesmoker

I'm growing out the F2 of the cross right now to find the autoflowering ones, I should have stated that part clearly instead of thoughtlessly confusing folks with misleading posts.
I culled all the non-autos already, or at least I'm pretty sure I did, but last summer I think I might have grown out a semi auto by accident when I was looking for autos in a different batch of F2 seeds. The other autos in that batch over the summer all started flowering directly and this other one that I think might have been a semi started throwing pistils at the right age to look like an auto, but it continued to veg another month before it initiated flowering, making more promising looking pistils at every node until it finally started making real flowers. The month that it did it's veg in was June, it started flowering in July & around here the earliest regular flowering plants start flowering is at the end of July because thats when nighttime gets to be about 9 hours, so one that started earlier in July would've triggered flowering with nights a little bit shorter than that if daylight it what triggered it.
I'm still kind of in the dark about what semi autos are as well as super autos. Is a semi an F1 of an auto x regular cross that flowers like a regular, but triggers flowering with shorter nights? Is that what naturally grows out of the seed where a dominant regular flowering gene is combined with an ineffectual lonesome autoflowering gene?

zif

Veteran
It does sound like you flowered a heterozygote.

The common auto and photo genes seem to produce plants that trigger with more light than usual when present together.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some weird variants out there, or situations that otherwise made the heterozygotes stand out less (e.g., long flowering auto x fast photo. What would that do?!?).

I just flowered F2s in 4cm pots and must say having a plant start flowering at less than two weeks was pretty fun! Makes sifting for the autos pretty satisfying.

Last edited:

zif

Veteran
This girl's been a treat.

picture.php

She teased as auto by day 9/10, and was clearly flowering at two weeks. Started in the tiny pot and potted up to ~10cm as soon as she flowered. The rest got the axe at the same time. I drew one female and zero male autos, and nine photo or semi.

Pollinated around week 3 with pollen frozen in 2018. It felt *really* early to do that, and she thought so, too.

picture.php

The goal was a manageable number of bx seeds, that would get a good share of her resources. That part worked, but the 6x stretch caught me off guard!

Rushing her, it starts to feel like breeding a Wisconsin fast plant (Brassica rapa), though. Very neat.

PDX Dopesmoker

Growing a bunch of little plants and finding the autoflowers adds a lot to the amusement factor of growing. I guess theres an aspect of gambling to finding the autos.
Heres another picture of the plant, its still keeping its miraculously flat top so far.
oxXvBsg.jpg

PDX Dopesmoker

This girl's been a treat.

View Image

She teased as auto by day 9/10, and was clearly flowering at two weeks. Started in the tiny pot and potted up to ~10cm as soon as she flowered. The rest got the axe at the same time. I drew one female and zero male autos, and nine photo or semi.

Pollinated around week 3 with pollen frozen in 2018. It felt *really* early to do that, and she thought so, too.

View Image

The goal was a manageable number of bx seeds, that would get a good share of her resources. That part worked, but the 6x stretch caught me off guard!

Rushing her, it starts to feel like breeding a Wisconsin fast plant (Brassica rapa), though. Very neat.

Wow, that one sure does get tall, how much bigger is it gonna get? Nice looking resin on the seeded calyx, thats ones gonna be a good seed for sure.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
Hi folks here is my auto widow thai @ harvest day(96d after sprouting). 33d ago she was hit with photo pollen from that line.

picture.php

picture.php

The initial indoor cross was seedsman auto white widow x flash muay thai. Got a full male with no sings of fem flowers from the muay thai that looks like the other fem i got. For me it was the 1 in a 10000 male from fem seeds but cant say that for sure maybe cross pollination.

The f2 and f3 were made on my balcony with only 1 stray auto iirc but got ready at 48N. Nothing to mention about the males other than more males.

Testing the f3 indoors i was suprised by the auto popping up. Total it was 7/17 seedlings that turned out autoflowering. After 3 weeks all autos started flowering.

Here @ 4 weeks mixed with photo plants after taking clones.

picture.php

picture.php

The male side is weird. Got 10/17 males in the f3 with 5/7 in the auto side. None of the auto males produced pollen and the male flowers fell after tapping the plant. The photo side prodced 5/10 males with 1 producing pollen. This one had the male flowers not falling off, the other photo males reacted like the autos.

The photos +1 auto at 49d flower

picture.php

I didn't manage to get clones from the photos none rooted. Also the viable male died ~10 after trying to reveg.

Chilliwilli

Latest posts

Latest posts