What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Xtractor Depot

montroller

Just saw that they are advertising on here now, what do you guys think of their system? Been thinking about picking one up. I really like the inner coil design on the solvent tank and everything else seems to be there. Plus the price is lower than comparable competition.

Since they are already advertising on here I am assuming it's cool to link their site? If not I'll delete it.

http://xtractordepot.com/

Old Gold

Really nice design, and I've heard that they do solid business, no run-around and delays etc. But all their equipment is Chinese, so will only get as good as a 7 year old Chinaman's work if you ask me. I haven't seen one in person, though.

Also, I've heard they offer some sort of warranty on the solvent tanks. Could be good or bad lol.

montroller

Yah when I spoke with the sales rep he told me that everything was imported. Honestly though I'm fine with that, my only concern is the tri clamp ball valve. I have heard about the knock offs being low quality and leaking, anyone have experience with that?

No one using their solvent tank? I am really interested in seeing some reviews of how well the inner coil chills with the jacket vacuumed. The idea seems much more efficient than the competition.

TheArchitect

Veteran
yea i don't understand the hate on chinese parts, if the QC/QA testing is done, and you had the parts manf. at a reputable facility whats the issue?

id guess that unless otherwise stated as being manf in the USA most of the steel being used is made in china/asia, as are seals, fittings, clamps, sight glass, hoses etc.

china gets a bad rap, and rightly so in many cases, but if the due diligence is done you can get quality parts.

i just ordered a bunch of components, so i guess ill be finding out soon :D

FishmanK

At least they are emulating instrument-grade fittings
Good looking stuff
but i see only parts and not an excessive amount of those.
Montroller I was reading posts yesterday of your postings about when you were building your first system a few years ago...
(I need to go finish that thread)
Good reading
I stumbled on the Paragon Hoses from another extraction website that was otherwise very sparse
sure are some nice hoses
Anyone have Feedback on the silicone jacketed SS braided PTFE lined hoses from paragon?

Silicone%20Jacket%20PTFE%20Hose.jpg

IE Triclamp Valves:
GADS TRADING on EBAY has cheapest ever prices on the standard generic valves. Possibly Factory-Seconds?
First 2" one I received had a bolt loose in the package...
the second order which was already in route had (2) 1.5" valves, one with a major inclusion in the casting which was on the end, machined flange face
the other had only one end machined completely, the other end has an irregular, mostly raw-cast surface which would never seal right, I suspect.
I saw though on ebay yesterday some new thing they have "valet sellers" where they dont even say who the seller is just the price and item and there were some good offers on valves in 1.5 to 3" triclamp/clover range.
As the Great Philosopher Said: "Beware of Geeks Bearing Gifts" ~ Homer Simpsonius

Attachments

• valve1.jpg
    valve1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 20
  • valve2.jpg
    valve2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 18

montroller

Not sure why the site doesn't show a full system but I heard about them from a brochure that was passed off. The brochure had a 5lb system with CPS trs21 and solvent tank at $6k plus another 4k for the chiller.

Those valves definitely look sketchy but I hope a company that is trying to become established in this industry would offer better QA than EBAY sellers.

FishmanK

Are you still working on a build?
Im just getting to valves/jic end fittings and hoses in my build

Ive seen some really clean-looking LADISH brand valves used for similar range to new from china
I wonder if these are rebuildable or reliable enough to use used ones in an extractor system?
They seem to be the preferred valve for the wine making industry

montroller

Holy shit those are cheap! found some for $40... It doesn't seem like Ladish still makes tri clamp valves and the ones I did find looked pretty beat. Not sure I would put that on my system without rebuilding cleaning and testing first. But at $40-60 you aren't losing too much in trying and potentially saving a lot if it works.

FishmanK

well generic triclamp ball valves in 304 are about that too if you make offer or see an auction through.
This "ebay valet" service had listings though for 316 SS Valves from china, generic, I hadn't seen before with prices only a few dollars over their 304 counterparts
Everything Ive seen online including BHOgart and GW's first pix use these chinese generic 304 valves and Ive read very little about problems with them...

I guess if we were Harley riders we would have a motorcyle 1/2 built in our living rooms instead... ?

heh

Attachments

• spleefinator.jpg
    spleefinator.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 14

FishmanK

Montroller if you like instrument grade fittings, as I do, I assume you have looked at Parker Fittings from the clearance/surplus wholesalers on ebay?

I have some extra 1/4" npt Parker branch tees (316 instrument grade 1/4 MxFxF tee)
and some extra 1/2 male x 3/8 female elbows (316 instrument grade) im up for trading for other parker fittings

Attachments

• parkertee.jpg
    parkertee.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 17

BigJohnny

Yah when I spoke with the sales rep he told me that everything was imported. Honestly though I'm fine with that, my only concern is the tri clamp ball valve. I have heard about the knock offs being low quality and leaking, anyone have experience with that?

No one using their solvent tank? I am really interested in seeing some reviews of how well the inner coil chills with the jacket vacuumed. The idea seems much more efficient than the competition.

The first ball valve I got was from KST Kingstone and it lasted a over a year, but I did take it apart a one point and had problems with it ever after. The second and most recent one I'm using now came from Glacier.

The one from Glacier is definitely nicer but the 4 bolts were loose, however they did find out for me that the torque specs are supposed to be 36ft/lbs which seems insanely tight me as the valve is hard enough to move when they tight to 15ft/lbs.

In BOTH cases the handles be came loose/warped and would hit the stop just slightly before the ball was finished closing leaving a gap about 1/32", just enough for butane to leak through internally causing problems with achieving a full flood, and almost overfilling the collection pot.

I've had to remedy this by using an adjustable wrench as a handle.

FishmanK

I had an issue with some parts from Glacier. The speed of fixing the issue and very personable assistance made it worth dealing with them, ime.
They have had a sale price on a few sizes of triclamp filter plates for awhile now that was cheapest I found on-line.

FishmanK

Received KACE 1/2" NPT 3-piece valves today
Taiwanese but 316 and very nice quality
$12 surplus clearance on auction

Attachments

• KACE.jpg
    KACE.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 8
  • KACEtoo.jpg
    KACEtoo.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 10

FishmanK

Oh and Extractor Depot has some great jic to ntp fitting deals
I was all over ebay just finding a few sizes in 316 and they have them for less...

BigJohnny

I just ordered a 4" packing hopper from them, I can't believe that didn't exist before..... that will greatly enhance my life lol.