What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Out of seeds, two females, let's force Hermi

hunt4genetics

Veteran
I put this in the outdoor thread because the 2 ladies are outdoors.

Back ground.

I live in a place that is very not cannabis friendly. I am isolated, the few people I know don't smoke.

Had a seed stash, but had a very bad string of non germination.

Has anyone here every forced a hermi outdoors on purpose? How did it turn out?

The off spring of hermi's are 100% female right?

Chances are they will re-veg,

So on the bright side I will have clones sexed for spring.

Help.

troutman

Seed Whore
Why you want hermie plants for?

To my knowledge hermies make more hermies.

Takes a lot of work to get rid of that trait and even then there's no guarantees it won't come back.

hunt4genetics

Veteran

Takes a lot of work to get rid of that trait and even then there's no guarantees it won't come back.

I am not a pro seed vender. Just want seeds for future grows. I am willing to pick out seeds in future harvest.

troutman

Seed Whore
You could just grow regular seeds and never have to worry about the hermie thing.

That would save you a lot of headaches I think. :tiphat:

FireIn.TheSky

You misunderstand the term hermi. A true hermaphodite is a specimen that shows both sexes at initiation of flowering.

Forced sex manipulation is a method used to make feminized seeds, unless then female used has a predisposition to intersex traits the seeds should produce all female.

Usually they force a female to produce male flowers by purposely messing up the light schedule or by flowering it out for excessively long periods of time. The plant will force male parts in an attempt to force pollination of itself because it thinks it's the end of the world basically. It's a survival mechanism.

troutman

Seed Whore
Oh Ok,

I only grow regular seeds and wasn't into this feminization thing and don't know much about it.

B

BAKED_BEANZ

time for new pack of seeds , i,d be saying .
pretty sure colloidal silver is outdated these days and sts is the preferred method and a lot less work .

hunt4genetics

Veteran
I know this is not an ideal situation, but can't order seeds at the moment, no nugs to pick them out of. No connection at all. How would you force to females to produce some Pollen sacks? I know most people here are trying to avoid this. Please all help appreciated.

HashTree

I've heard that if you run thm way over ripe they will produce male flowers and produce fem seeds. May be hard to do outdoors depending on your climate though. Wouldn't work where I live. Never bothered to try it myself.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've heard that if you run thm way over ripe they will produce male flowers and produce fem seeds. May be hard to do outdoors depending on your climate though. Wouldn't work where I live. Never bothered to try it myself.

This is the method Soma used & is called Rhodelization or something like that.
This is the method NOT to use! Soma pissed a lot of people off by selling hermaphrodite seed produced in this manner.

Silver is used to manipulate sexual expression by blocking ethylene production in females & thereby causing male parts to form. There is less chance of seeing hermaphrodite plants using this method so long as the female that is reversed is a solid girl not showing intersex traits.

Look up STS (Silver ThioSulphate) & CS to find the method you can or would prefer to use.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
This is the method Soma used & is called Rhodelization or something like that.
This is the method NOT to use! Soma pissed a lot of people off by selling hermaphrodite seed produced in this manner.
Same method was used with the Trainwreck strain, which also tends to produce nanners near harvest time. Nasty.

Stick with STS. It works and the females are stable, no hermi tendencies.

HashTree

Good to know. I probably won't try it then. I usually have better plans for the girls by the time they are ripe anyway.

hunt4genetics

Veteran
I can only imagine the amount of males that will be destroyed. I would do almost anything for one. Do seed companies sell pollen? If not, they should. Untapped market. You would have my $$$$

Douglas.Curtis

I can only imagine the amount of males that will be destroyed. I would do almost anything for one. Do seed companies sell pollen? If not, they should. Untapped market. You would have my $$$$
Pollen has a very short shelf life, unfortunately. You can indeed keep it in a freezer for years, the viability still goes down. Once you pull it from the freezer the viability goes down as well.

Niche market? Possibly. ;)

livinit

Gibberellic acid (Food Grade) is readily available and is cheap. Just need to spray the plant with it for 10-14 days and you will have pollen. Search it up on the forums, it has worked for me.

Douglas.Curtis

Gibberellic acid (Food Grade) is readily available and is cheap. Just need to spray the plant with it for 10-14 days and you will have pollen. Search it up on the forums, it has worked for me.
STS, Sodium Thiosulfate Solution is cheap and easy to mix as well. Spray the plant every 2 days (edit: every 4-5 days should be sufficient) until you have pollen. :)

Last edited:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pollen has a very short shelf life, unfortunately. You can indeed keep it in a freezer for years, the viability still goes down. Once you pull it from the freezer the viability goes down as well.

Niche market? Possibly. ;)
I've had viable pollen sit in my desk drawer in a plastic dime bag for 6 months... I mean it worked at 6 months... But not a year later... Same for refrigerated pollen.

GA is a mutagen when used at high enough doses. Nobody uses GA for sex reversals that I am aware of. GA is typically used to germinate hard to germ seeds, going by what I've read.

STS, Sodium Thiosulfate Solution is cheap and easy to mix as well. Spray the plant every 2 days until you have pollen. :)
I don't think you want to spray STS that often. It's more like 2 spritzes a week apart & wait. Maybe 3 spritzes total.

Iv heard of that as well... In Canada I could never come across Sodium Thiosulfate though. Not to sure why, possibly controlled?
You will have to order a couple ingredients & mix your own. STS has a useable shelf life that's relatively short, if I recall correctly. (I'm probably wrong because I just thought about Matt Riots reversal product)
A search will reveal several threads dedicated to mixing & using STS.