What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Insomnia from quitting methadone

Floridian

Veteran
Well it is 2 in the morning again and here I sit,wide eyed.It is worth it to be free I keep telling myself,and it is.After 13 years it has served its purpose and kept me off the opiates/opiods and now I feel pretty far removed from that kinda crap.It is hard though.The literature says it could be 4-6 months before I am sleeping regularly.Is anyone out there....there...there..there.Can anybody hear me....me...me..lol.I know from past threads there are many of you out there like me so as you see it can be done.I honestly do not know if I could have/would have done it without my 50 day vacation at the Faulkenburg Hilton.Kicking methadone in jail now thats a gas man.I have been a caregiver for my 86 year old mom now for about 2 years with my brother filling in for 50 days.It used to be I could go to my house a mile away a couple times a week and take care of business.She needs full time help now so those days are over.Funny my first grow was Cindy 99 in 2002 and my last grow was Cindy in 2016.I will continue though when my mom goes to her final reward.She is in pain all the time from arthritis and bursitis and its hard to deal with.She is healthy internally and my biggest fear is her becoming bedridden the last years of her life.I don't like to think about that.She is so happy that I don't have to leave every morning and stand in that line every day.I never got take homes in all those years because I never would stop smoking erb lol.That I refuse to give up!Well I guess I will quit bothering people now and go watch reruns of something or other.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

best of luck Floridian, maybe look into support groups like NA or AA if no NA nearby you; you're not needing the 12 steps imo but perhaps you'd benefit just listening and maybe speak up some day if you think your input would helps others there :dunno:

if you get a sketchy feeling (like I did) from AA/NA meetings then Google up other support groups in your area. CL probably lists meetings of different sorts.

You'll have no regrets later in life in being sober while your mother needed you the most.......

angelgoob

I agree a group can be cool.

The god part can freak you out a bit.

I was in an AA one and in the same facility the religious people would ask to baptize you in their lake.

Oh well. The "higher power" can be like the spirit or infinity or something. The universal spirit? God?

mowood3479

Veteran
Good luck. The insomnia will pass eventually.... Your body will reset, it just takes its sweet time with methadone.
I hope ur sleeping soundly soon.

Floridian

Veteran
Thanks for your support folks I was able to sleep for 2 hours when I laid down at 5a/m boy what funky dreams you have coming off this shit

Thanks for your support folks I was able to sleep for 2 hours when I laid down at 5a/m boy what funky dreams you have coming off this shit

Im gonna go back an read ya post but im on methadone now 50mg dose n wen i kicked tha dope habit a couple times i started to workout mainly stuff to make my body tired i was sniffing one time an had a bad habit up to about 2-3 bundles a day n got locked up it took me a weekend to kick because i started to work out plus my mind was in a different place so i really didnt pay attention to tha aches n pains u know (im ramblin) anyway try keepin busy occupy ya mind n body with something thats gonna leave u tired physically n mentally! IT ONLY GETS BETTER keep tellin yaself that it helps. Good Luck!

WelderDan

Veteran
As a long time insomnia sufferer, I feel your pain. And as a former pain management patient, I understand that part of it too.

I smoked a lot of herb when I kicked pain killers. Well, I was smoking a lot for the pain too. I mostly smoke for the insomnia now. It doesn't help that I do shift work either. I'm a early bird and when I do my time on nights it really screws with me.

Try a good stony Indica for nighty-night time. It does the trick for me.

Other than that, the best advice I got came another insomnia sufferer. "Roll with it."

idiit

Veteran
ace Malawi, golden tiger. satori from mandala. I had insomnia real bad. sleep like a baby now. smoked some zamal last night and had a hard time sleeping.

extracts, cooking up some trim for edibles.

insomnia sucks.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
For sleep I would suggest canna caps or edibles in a lipid like coconut oil. The lipid carrier will take longer to process, but have longer lasting effects. Smoking is great to fall asleep, but it only lasts a few hours.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey floridian,,,,
stay with it buddy and as the days pass it will get easier,,,,,
methadone seems to stay in the system for ages,,,,
you have done so very well mate:),,,,,
methadone detox makes a Heroin detox look like a "walk in the sun" in my experience,,,,,
keeping on keeping on floridian,,,
it will get better,,,,,s2:tiphat:

Floridian

Veteran
Wow folks thanks so much for all the feedback and great advice.I really do appreciate that.I would like nothing more than to be able to exercise atticflowers but at the moment I am unable to.When I got arrested,I weighed a whopping 90 pounds and had gone undiagnosed even after seeing a doctor and being in the hospital twice in 2016.As soon as the jail doc saw me she asked if I ever had my thyroid checked.The next day I was given methimazole to slow my heartbeat with was averaging 130 beats per minute.Its not so funny I had to see a jail doctor to be dignosed with a raging case of hyperthyroidism.The medical staff in the jail was second to none in my opinion.Besides being good they were very nice to me.I have put on 11 pounds since Nov.11th when I was arrested.That sounds good but I was on double rations the whole 50 days and should have put on much more.The only treatment left for me and is coming soon is for me to drink radioactive iodine 131,which will take the hyper cells in my thyroid and put them out of commission.Then my thyroid will become hypoactive which means my heartbeat will slow down,I wont get out of breath just walking across the room,and I will put on more much needed weight.I just cant excersize right now but thanks for the great advice!I really thought my weight loss was caused by depression seeing my mom in pain every day,and the heartbeat and being out of breath was from COPD.I smoked cigarettes for 35 years and quit Dec. 21 2012 when the world did not come to an end lol.I truly thought I was going to die before my 86 year mom!So making lemonaid out of lemoms,I got a proper diagnosis and got off methadone.Not too shabby for 50 days of not enjoying life.Again I want to thanks you folks for all the feedback and great advice!

Last edited:

WelderDan

Veteran
Knowing is half the battle bro. Now you have a direction to go in, and now you can proceed to treat your illness properly. That makes all the difference. Hyperthyroidism is very treatable. You can get your life back.

You will be OK. Best wishes man. Get healthy, take care of your mom and live the good life.

rockymountainJ

Keep strong!! 12 yrs ago i was sitting right where you are...
It gets worse before better. I was around 2wks till my body came around....
Been easy to not use anything bad after the battle i had coming off that!!
Keep strong keep your head up.
Its a battle worth fighting!!

Rmj

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
For sleep I would suggest canna caps or edibles in a lipid like coconut oil. The lipid carrier will take longer to process, but have longer lasting effects. Smoking is great to fall asleep, but it only lasts a few hours.

My weed capsules are the best medicine for my insomnia. If I take a strong one and have another one on the nightstand for 4 or 5 hours later, I can actually sleep through the night. That's if I do everything right - no caffeine in the afternoon, no alcohol, no tv or bright lights before bed.

All bets might be off with opiate withdrawal, but weed capsules and edibles are the best option here. Other things that might seem stronger at first are a dead end road with tolerance and addiction.

Littleleaf

Veteran
Been there done that. NEVER again!!!!!

Once I started making my own budder for cookies, is what really helped me. Make mine from trim and I still have buds to smoke.

Been clean 13 years and loving it.

redlaser

Veteran
Relish your discomfort during your withdrawals, it will be one of the few things that keeps you from relapsing.
Unless you have a lot of negative stuff associated with using opiates they will still look like a viable option.

Exercise would be the first thing I would recommend, I saw your comments about that. Very warm water helps some, like in a bath or shower, but you can only do that so long. Higher dose edibles should be helpful, maybe not with sleep right away, but it's a great distraction.

Your brain is pissed because you rewired it to be accustomed to regular opiates, and then cut it off. Going to take awhile to see what the new normal is.

And I'll add the following even though it will probably make me look like a negative asshole.
The fact that you first stopped because of someone else's choice, ( hotel people) is not as good as if you stopped on your own. Much better for it to be your decision, because it would show you are closer to being ready to quit.

angelgoob

If you can find some lemon balm, lavendar, or chamomile tea. That helps sleep. Helped me. I take lemon balm and hops tincture.

Latest posts

Latest posts