What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GastroGrower's Ganja Garden

GastroGrower

Ok, all the male plants are pulled. I'm keeping a clone in case I want to try to make some seeds later on.

Moving on - I started 4 more Karmdown #2 x Pink Bazooka and 4 GG#4 x Pink Bazooka in tap water this morning. The two strongest cuttings I took of the Gluebreath x Pink Bazooka and one of the Barny's Farms Critical Kush seedlings got moved into the 2nd flowering tent to veg for a bit.

Heatsinks and fans just came in for the new lights! So at least I have that to be excited about.

GastroGrower

New COBs came in today - only remaining piece is the new power supply for the light expansion.

All of the GG#4 x PB and KD#2 x PB sunk this morning and will probably start showing their tails tomorrow or the next day. The two Fastbuds autos are up out of the rockwool and looking healthy. Another week or so in the humidity tent and they'll probably be getting ready to transplant.

Moving forward with the 6/9 formula documented in the 'H3ad goes Coco' thread for everything except my soil plants and DWC stuff. We'll see how the girls like the change in nutrients.

GastroGrower

Gluebreath x Pink Bazooka #1 - Day 10 of Flower

Gluebreath x Pink Bazooka #1 - Day 10 of Flower

Here is my GBxPB plant at day 10 of flower. Pistil formation is starting to pick up and individual tops are becoming more noticeable.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

GastroGrower

All of the Pink Bazooka hybrids I started have cracked and are showing tails. Moved them into rockwool cubes today. Here's what's in the humidity dome:

4 x GG#4xPB (4 cubes in the top left)
6 x KD#2xPB (4 cubes in the bottom left and the two male clones on the right)
1 x Six Shooter (auto)
1 x Mexican Airlines (auto)
1 x GBxPB (female clone in the cup of coco)

picture.php

Dakine

Veteran
So is this the new thread bro? Your gonna keep the sssdh thread to right?

Man I can't believe those plants ended up being male.. you should def keep the clone of him so u can pollinate even just 1 branch.. How exactly are you going to train those girl in flower with that ring? Are you gonna wrap the branches around if? Or just tie the branches straight outwards?

Looking good bud, can't wait to see what the end results of both of our grows look like.. Although I can bet you'll have much bigger plants and yields , since your not growing in soil!

GastroGrower

Yeah I'll dedicate the SSSDH thread to just that plant. I'd like to dial it in really well and run it a couple more times so I'll keep posting there. Lot's of random stuff to share here though.

I'm just using that tomato cage/ring to spread out the branches and get a more even canopy.

I grow some plants in soil but it just doesn't produce the yield I need for my medical purposes. Occasionally I'll run something in soil for the taste if I've got some extra space.

justiceman

Veteran
Right on man! I like how perky that gluebreath is getting. You won't be disappointed with the 6/9 formula in coco. Just make sure your pH is in check and you're good to go! Its simplicity is awesome, and very effective. No BS, no magic, just all the nutrients needed to grow a healthy plant and it is tailored for coco. It produces quality that ranks up there with all those other ridiculously priced nutrients in my opinion. Don't forget the ratio is what is important so lets say you want to do half strength nutrients for a gallon. Either cut the measurements in half 3/4.5, or do 6/9 and add an extra gallon.

The gh ratios can be adjusted for pure hydro and soil too if you find yourself interested. I believe the ratios for those are 8 micro/16 bloom If you want to look further into that I would google "Lucas Formula". It's very informative.

The following nutrients are possibly the simplest yet effective ones I know about:
Maxibloom(1 part) 7g per gal
GH micro/bloom(2 part gives you slightly more ability to tailor) 6/9 or 8/16
FloraNova bloom(1part) 8ml per gal
Veg+Bloom(1part) 4-5g per gal

mmmmmm love me some rockwool. I don't know why but rockwool clones just look cool.

GastroGrower

Yeah I still like the Botanicare nutes for soil. They seem to work well if you can read the plant and you feed light. The Gluebreath likes the 6/9 formula around 550 PPM so I mix the micro and bloom in 3 Gallons of water then increase water until it's diluted.

Dakine

Veteran
Wait which FastBuds Autos are you growing again lol? I really wanted to grow 1-2 of there strains, but theres ALOT of VERY bad reviews on this company. So Im actually looking at some of Aris Autos from his company.. They have A Good variety with A VERY high percentage of good reviews to bad ones..

EDIT- Just saw your post again. So you only popped 2 seeds in total, 1 of each strain?

Yeah man, I really wanna see you grow out the SSSDH girl close to her full potential. Im sure the next run will be no comparison to the first grow.. If its anything like the phenos that guy Bobbo is growing out, then your in for A damn good treat..

What are the most noticeable differences you've seen, growing in hydro compared to soil? Ive heard/seen that yields are a major difference. Also setting up the hydro system is alot more work and its sometimes a bitch to maintain? Idk ive never tried lol, closest thing ive done is clone in straight water haha..

I've started to use the rings as well.. I want to see if that growth hormone thing makes a big difference. What are your thoughts about it, and making sure the tops/canopy are all at an even height?

GastroGrower

Ya PBP is some good stuff. That Gluebreath man! She's going to be some good smoke.

Yeah I'm getting more and more excited about this strain. The clones I took are moving along quite nicely and their node spacing is nice and tight. Here is the seed plant about 3 hours after lights on last night.

picture.php

Wait which FastBuds Autos are you growing again lol? I really wanted to grow 1-2 of there strains, but theres ALOT of VERY bad reviews on this company. So Im actually looking at some of Aris Autos from his company.. They have A Good variety with A VERY high percentage of good reviews to bad ones..

EDIT- Just saw your post again. So you only popped 2 seeds in total, 1 of each strain?

Yeah, one of each. Both of them are rooted and looking good at this point - so only time will tell if they pull through. I haven't been able to get any of the previous FB seeds to make it to their second set of true leaves. I'll be running these both in coco as opposed to soil however, and I may end up with a different result than I had previously. Mostly I just needed to pop them before I could justify ordering any more seeds, haha.

What are the most noticeable differences you've seen, growing in hydro compared to soil? Ive heard/seen that yields are a major difference. Also setting up the hydro system is alot more work and its sometimes a bitch to maintain? Idk ive never tried lol, closest thing ive done is clone in straight water haha..

I've started to use the rings as well.. I want to see if that growth hormone thing makes a big difference. What are your thoughts about it, and making sure the tops/canopy are all at an even height?

For me, going hydro vs soil has really come down to what I'm looking for in an end product and what my limitations are in terms of production. Because I'm working with limited space and my focus is return on investment - hydro simply exceeds the abilities of soil to produce enough flower for my needs. If I had a big back yard or plenty of space to grow some soil plants I would, as the taste and quality can be noticeably higher - but as of now I stick with soil primarily for mother plants and single plants if I'm testing new genetics. My breakdown is such:

Full Hydroponic (DWC, Drip, Ebb/flow, etc)
  • Insanely fast and hardy growth
  • Ease of maintenance (fill reservoir once a week and that's about it)
  • Simple application of nutrients - as long as they're tailored to cannabis, you really only need to maintain pH and PPM
  • Highest gram/watt return on investment

Soilless (coco)
  • Quick growth, but not quite as explosive as full hydroponic
  • Can be hand fed/watered or use a drip system for flexibility
  • Really forgiving and easy to react to/correct issues
  • Less damage to the plant if issues come up with the reservoir or moisture levels than pure hydro

Soil (uh... dirt)
  • Potential for yield is more dependent on strain and growth environment
  • If it's true living soil, you treat it more in a reactive fashion than you would hydro. Let the microbiome act as a buffer and read the plant.
  • If you have a good soil mix, this is probably the simplist and easiet to maintain. Just water with an occasional feeding if necessary.

justiceman

Veteran

Thought I'd chime in as well. I'd say GastroGrower gave a great description concerning the 3 different main styles. I like using coco for the reasons he stated:[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
  • Quick growth, but not quite as explosive as full hydroponic
  • Can be hand fed/watered or use a drip system for flexibility
  • Really forgiving and easy to react to/correct issues
  • Less damage to the plant if issues come up with the reservoir or moisture levels than pure hydro
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It kind of gives you the best of both worlds. Also I'd like to add that PROPERLY flushed hydro flowers can stand up in flavor and taste to organic flowers. Just different means to the same end in my opinion.

[/FONT]

GastroGrower

I agree justiceman. The plant has a genetic potential to produce a certain cannabinoid and terpene profile, as long as there is nothing limiting the plant from reaching that potential, taste and composition is going to be the same in organic soil or properly run hydroponics.

GastroGrower

I just checked on the GBxPB plant in tent #1 - smells pretty much like cat shit right now. My roommate even came into my room and asked if the cat used the bathroom in there, haha. Not particularly pleasing right now, but I've grown strains that smelled this way and ended up being really flavorful once they finish flowering.

The Critical Kush and the Glue Breath are both looking good in tent #2. Tomorrow I rinse a bunch of coco and then transplant the GB clones. Once they get comfortable in their new 1 gallon pots, I'll top and start training along the scrog.

picture.php
picture.php

Power supply came in for the new light today so now I just need to get off my ass and put it all together.

justiceman

Veteran
hahahaha :laughing: I bet that [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GBxPB [/FONT]is going to turn out to be some strong stuff.

That seedling looks perfect! The two on the right look pretty good too but I wonder why they are a bit droopy. Do you feed them every irrigation?

Dakine

Veteran
Hmm I see, even growing in hydroponics are you able to grow enough for your med use ? Do you run out in between harvest?

Oh and what size pots are you going to throw them into? I still kinda don't understand how plants have more root space/get a lot bigger in A pot with coco rather then a same sized pot filled with soil..

I can see how it would be easier to handle certain problems in hydro though. It would be super easy to flush out anything needed. I wonder if taste would still be on par with soil or coco even with A good flush.. The buds have to retain some of the flavor from pumping her with chemicals throughout her life..
For some reason I just thought that buds from a hydro grow would taste pretty bland compared to a same cut in soil.. probably not but it was just A thought..

Plants are looking good though, can't wait to start seeing some flowers. The 2 on the right in the previous post look like there drooping from being dehydrated? IMO it looks like there medium is dry.

GastroGrower

Yeah I took this picture right before they got watered after lights on so they were pretty thirsty. Not totally dry, just lightly moist. Giving them some slight dry periods to help build up the roots before they get moved to the drip system but they're just about root bound so drinking heavily. They are being fed every watering right now, just till a slight amount of runoff.

I'm not quite to the point where I can fully provide for myself. I usually go through around an ounce a week. If I can get to the point where I'm pulling off 10 ounces or so per plant, I could probably be totally covered but not quite there yet. I'm confident I'll be able to grow everything I need in the next year or so. Still learning how to grow and what works best for me. Space limitations and staying legal is really difficult here in my state. I'd like to get to the point where I produce a significant surplus so I can start taking it all down to hash or make rosin. I love smoking weed, but it would be nice to vape more for my health and I really prefer to do so with concentrates.

These are going into 1 gallon fabric pots and they'll stay there through flowering.

justiceman

Veteran
Right on man I can't wait for that screen to fill out all the way it should provide a great harvest for you!

Just a couple tips for coco buddy. Aside from small plants in big containers coco doesn't really like to dry out. If it looks dry on top then EC spikes up hard in the medium which can lead to salt build up(less water same amount of salt) and PH can change as well. It's good to let them "dry out" just a little bit but they should always look moist on the top. It's a little different from the normal we/dry cycles you want to give soil plants.

The beauty of coco is it holds lots of air so you don't really have to worry about "over watering" given the appropriate container size. Over watering is actually a lack of oxygen to the roots. That's why DWC works so well. DWC plants sit in pure water but have more than enough oxygen to never suffocate. The more often you water coco the more often you bring oxygen to the roots. You can get soil yields out of coco or hydro yields out of coco all depending on how you choose to water it.

Another tip to lay on top of the one above is coco likes to be fed nutrients consistently. Coco likes "Feed,feed,feed." It doesn't like the old soil "feed, water,water" schedule. IF there is salt build up at some point flushing with a light nutrient solution is always preferred to flushing with pure water.This maintains the cations and ph in the coco. Never give coco pure water until the end when most nutrients are used up in the medium and ph doesn't matter anymore.

This little deadhead OG hasn't seen a dry day in her life!
picture.php

Last edited:

GastroGrower

Yeah, both of those clones are just about rootbound so most of their water uptake is due to the root mass. I've been dealing with the flu today and was going to transplant them but I wasn't able to get out of bed. Hopefully I can get that taken care of tonight or tomorrow as I think that'll make em a lot happier.

Just got a new pump and manifold system I've gotta get installed by this weekend so it'll take care of any issues with dryness.

That OG is looking nice - have you run it before or is this from seed?

GastroGrower

Transplanted! I only had one brick of coco so I need to finish filling up these pots once the plants grow out a bit. I am going to let them go until next week before I top them as I want to be able to take some nice sized clones.

Pre and post transplant:

picture.php
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts