What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Legionnaires' caught from compost

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Wait.....
One old guy might have , possibly, contracted this from his pile? remember, there are millions,and millions of compost piles in the world, and folks are freaking out???
Chances are probably WAY BETTER winning a HUGE lottery!
No wonder the fear mongers of the world can gain so much power.
A a society, we seem to be losing the ability to think critically.
It's WAAAYYY easier to just spew what your told.

SD:tiphat:

brownstormy

makes me glad i'm a hydro guy. thanks for posting this though def wearing gloves next time i handle compost..... shit is scary

Actually, you're more at risk as a hydro guy.
People.. You have the internets at your fingertips. There's more out there than cute kitties and chicks barfing on their nekkid friends.

===
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionellosis
some key words/phrases/snippets:
-aerobic bacteria
-UBIQUITOUS aquatic organism
-thrives in temperatures between 25 and 45 °C [does fine well below that]
Transmission

Legionellosis infection normally occurs after inhaling an aerosol (suspension of fine particles in air) containing Legionella bacteria. Such particles could originate from any infected water source. When mechanical action breaks the surface of the water, small water droplets are formed, which evaporate very quickly. If these droplets contain bacteria, the bacteria cells remain suspended in the air, invisible to the naked eye and small enough to be inhaled into the lungs.<sup id="cite_ref-6" class="reference">[7]</sup> This often occurs in poorly ventilated areas such as prisons where a condensating air conditioner can spread it throughout the entire room, infecting anyone not immune to the strain of bacteria. Potential sources of such contaminated water include cooling towers used in industrial cooling water systems as well as in large central air conditioning systems, evaporative coolers, hot water systems, showers, windshield washers,<sup id="cite_ref-7" class="reference">[8]</sup> whirlpool spas, architectural fountains, room-air humidifiers, ice making machines, misting equipment, and similar disseminators that draw upon a public water supply. The disease may also be transmitted from contaminated aerosols generated in hot tubs if the disinfection and maintenance program is not done rigorously.<sup id="cite_ref-8" class="reference">[9]</sup> Freshwater ponds, creeks, and ornamental fountains are potential sources of Legionella.<sup id="cite_ref-Winn_b_9-0" class="reference">[10]</sup> The disease is particularly associated with hotels, cruise ships and hospitals with old, poorly maintained pipework and cooling systems. A study published by the European Journal of Epidemiology points to automotive windshield washing systems as a source, recommending the addition of an antibacterial agent to the system's reservoir.
===

H2O2 is noted to be an effective control (I think I saw some reference to 50ppm being enough over 24 hours, but don't take my word on that one) but most of the information I've found concerns silver stabilized H2O2 which I assume they prefer for ongoing control.

Please don't ignore this people. Just be a little mindful about what else you may be growing in your homes.