What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding question regarding f1 outcomes

Sign

Specifically only f1 and not the later iterations.

I'm growing RSC MIS right now. I got a great boy and cloned him for later grows. He is the high THC variant as I actually got a decent buzz from him. Here is my question:

He holds the cbd variants inside him but didn't express it this time. Any plant I breed him with will hold the high thc attribute for the first generation right?

So if I breed with one of the high cbd sisters I get mid thc mid cbd and all the seeds made with him vs high thc anything will be high thc right? Or will the dna wheel roll each seed separately giving each f1 a chance of being low, mid and high thc?

I'm pretty sure it's the first option but I was just looking for clarification thanks!

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The only way to find out is to do a progeny test on both parents. Punnett squares aren't going to help much in this. Some crosses produce very little variation of traits in the F1, others produce a lot. And, it's the combination that determines rather than the individual plant. So, the male could be 'stable' when crossed with female A but produce variation (on his traits) when crossed with female B. Does that make sense?

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Homozygous recessive genes are not masked by the dominant ones. If he breeds true for traits like this then all the progeny get 1/2 a copy, thus it's dependent of the Mothers makeup. Generally it is masked by deleterious Recessives hidden in the F1 & you can only find this out with test crosses & feminisation. 75% of the progeny will show the dominant phenotype when bred to itself as it will segregate.. Pure Recessives are easier to spot, they will produce like the dominant types a much more homogenous breed. Punnet squares are how you determine these outcomes without having tests performed.

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Probably. Im sure he goes into detail about ratios and stuff in a four part breeding vid. I watched a lot of his videos and i cant remember.

King Rat

I'd cross high thc and high cbd strain together and then make F2's out of that cross by open pollination.
This ensures you a load of variatons in the F2 seed lot.

EDIT: I've just seen that thread is a few weeks old and that answer is probably not necessary anymore lol

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think what he's doing is sex testing the plants then separating them & genomic testing to cluster up the hight profile THC males & then stress tests them on 3 farms with his buddy's then breeds all the contenders for some variety to all females or selected females... You can use an all female breed to get incredible stability like this

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
I'd cross high thc and high cbd strain together and then make F2's out of that cross by open pollination.

EDIT: I've just seen that thread is a few weeks old and that answer is probably not necessary anymore lol

Gw pharma mix the extracts from one a other together to get the ratio of sativex iirc.

Sign

You're right, the run completed some time ago, but I'm glad it sparked a conversation with so many intelligent replies.

I ended up being so in love with this male I let him spend the night in the harem in front of the fan. It will be fun popping the seeds over the next... 5 lifetimes...

beta

Veteran
Specifically only f1 and not the later iterations.

I'm growing RSC MIS right now. I got a great boy and cloned him for later grows. He is the high THC variant as I actually got a decent buzz from him. Here is my question:

He holds the cbd variants inside him but didn't express it this time. Any plant I breed him with will hold the high thc attribute for the first generation right?

So if I breed with one of the high cbd sisters I get mid thc mid cbd and all the seeds made with him vs high thc anything will be high thc right? Or will the dna wheel roll each seed separately giving each f1 a chance of being low, mid and high thc?

I'm pretty sure it's the first option but I was just looking for clarification thanks!

There is no such thing as a 'high THC variant', plants just have varying levels of THC. As far as I know smoking a male is not a reliable way to tell whether it has high THC or whether or not its progeny will produce high THC.

How do you know he 'holds the high CBD variant inside him'? I feel like you're making a LOT of assumptions that aren't necessarily true.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Like beta is saying about THC, most if not all, cannabis traits are what plant breeders call variably expressed. That means they don't sort into simple punnet square percentages like dominant-recessive traits do. Even if they did, you and I might assign plants to different quadrants of the square, depending on, say, how much this plant looked 'sativa' and that looked 'indica' (just as an example) from our personal POV. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't learn all the classical stuff, I sure did. But, over the years, I found it doesn't actually work as well as I expected it to.