What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

propane psi danger

HWY36

So I've been running a propane heavy blend lately. Not used to the high psi's and not loving them (typically 120, as high as 150). I use 4' columns and have a 12' honey pot that I shoot over to. Can anyone tell me at what psi I should start panicking? Any need to change any equipment to accommodate the higher pressures (seals, hoses, etc?)?For sure I'm going to change the pressure release valves from the current 150 psi to 250 psi if anyone knows a good/cheap place to get them. Any insight towards safety in case I'm overlooking anything would be greatly appreciated.

flatslabs

What temperature are you running at? That seems pretty high to me, we run 50/50 blend and never really see over 50-60 psi on the collection.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I've been running a propane heavy blend lately. Not used to the high psi's and not loving them (typically 120, as high as 150). I use 4' columns and have a 12' honey pot that I shoot over to. Can anyone tell me at what psi I should start panicking? Any need to change any equipment to accommodate the higher pressures (seals, hoses, etc?)?For sure I'm going to change the pressure release valves from the current 150 psi to 250 psi if anyone knows a good/cheap place to get them. Any insight towards safety in case I'm overlooking anything would be greatly appreciated.

Your 12" 13MHP clamp is rated at 150psi at 70F.

I don't recommend changing the pressure reliefs to 250F.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW, Are these PSI's normal for say, 100% propane? Why not the 250F pressure relief?

The clamp is only rated for 150 psi. It would fail before the PRV released.

Attachments

• butane-propane mix pressure at temperature-1.jpg
    butane-propane mix pressure at temperature-1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 11

HWY36

The clamp is only rated for 150 psi. It would fail before the PRV released.

Got it. I should have clarified. I was going to change the pressure relief on the columns; they are 4' by 4 ft long.

Is 120 -150F a safe operating range in the columns? Should I change the pressure relief valves on them? Thank you in advance?

Latest posts

Latest posts