What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Supersoil v Coot's mix

ridnovir

What is the difference between subcool supersoil and Coot's mix? What mix do people use these days? I am trying to gather info for the first organic no till grow indoors. I have been reading through several monster threads on here but the more I read the more confused I get.

KIS

Biggest differences are ingredients and then the subcool one I believe is meant to be used in layers. Between those two I could lean towards the Coot mix, though you can adapt it based on what ingredients you can find locally.

Viral505

I haven't used SuperSoil, but from what I understand its a "water-only" mix and you'd have to mix a new batch like every year. Coots mix is aimed to be a true living soil, and you have room to experiment with things.

Coots mix is perfect for no-till with peat/aeration/qualitycomost/vermicompost, and it can be used for soil-less and soil, you need to add Langbeinite if you use Coco-coir I believe.

If you are confused, go with the Build-A-Soil or KIS growing system. I've been pretty successful so far on my first year using them. Once per week I give them a EWC botanical tea of Earthworm Castings, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal, and Humic Acid until week 4-5 of flower, and good to go.

Apache123

If you are confused, go with the Build-A-Soil or KIS growing system. I've been pretty successful so far on my first year using them. Once per week I give them a EWC botanical tea of Earthworm Castings, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal, and Humic Acid until week 4-5 of flower, and good to go.

I am sorry to high jack this thread but what was your thoughts on BAS and KIS?

Cheers,

Viral505

I am sorry to high jack this thread but what was your thoughts on BAS and KIS?

Cheers,

I don't see too much difference in either. I'm ordering from BAS currently because of location. Both are legit companies, if you can't get these resources locally I'd totally order from either company. I usually get my stuff from BAS in 3-4 days but I only live like 4 hours away from the place, the shipping cost outweighs the drive, haha. :)

I listen to Jeremy Silva on interviews and listen to him on his blog and his video logs, and he really sounds intelligent and extremely respectable. A good majority of his information comes from teachings of Gascanastan, ClackamasCoots, and Masanobu Fukuoka.

I'm also really enjoying the podcasts on KIS, there is a LOT of great info on here as well.

Last edited:

KIS

From what I understand Coot's is a soilless mix. Is that right? Is Coot's mix a good option for no-till?

Coot's mix is not soilless, it uses EWC or Compost. That's really the key ingredient, so you need to source high quality EWC or compost in order to get good results.

Viral505

Either or both of the BAS pre-mixed bagged soils are perfect to use, honestly I'd use equal parts of both that way you get more variety in the soil. The KIS soil is also awesome stuff. Just checked this website out and if you are in the West Coast I would totally source soils through KIS if you can't get your hands on the good stuff.

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't see too much difference in either. I'm ordering from BAS currently because of location. Both are legit companies, if you can't get these resources locally I'd totally order from either company. I usually get my stuff from BAS in 3-4 days but I only live like 4 hours away from the place, the shipping cost outweighs the drive, haha. :)

I listen to Jeremy Silva on interviews and listen to him on his blog and his video logs, and he really sounds intelligent and extremely respectable. A good majority of his information comes from teachings of Gascanastan, ClackamasCoots, and Masanobu Fukuoka.

Except for Gas. His teachings are only repeats of Coot and some other guy.

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
heres another thing i wanted to add that i think we can ALL agree on...

coot>subcool all. day. long.

i will admit im bias, i used to have a lot of personal interaction with coot and ive never talked to subcool. but i have read alot of stuff from subcool. i own some books by him. i have ran his gear quite a bit. (dont even get me started on THAT mess) he has some useful things to say, im not hating on subcool. but when you read coots words, you know how intelligent he is. his level of understanding is obvious. subcools writing has never struck me as "smart." also consider this, hes in this to make money. always has been, despite what he might claim. i know he dosent make money on his recipe for supersoil but that dosent really change the fact.
so i think its easy to come to the conclusion that a more knowledgeable individual would have a better approach. just a thought

Viral505

Absolutely agreed, Subcool is what you call a cannabis profiteer.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Jeremy takes in some info from you MicrobeMan, John Kohler (the YouTube organic guy) and Mike McGrath (the compost man from You Bet Your Garden) too :)

I still can't get enough podcasts on organics haha

Last edited:

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
ive personally gone with BAS coots mix for 300 gallons of mix

my thoughts are that the initial mix is way too hot
expect N burn out of the gate

it will take around three rounds to get it into fighting shape
but its a really good recipe i can attest for
i havent had to fertilze anthing in myu outdoor beda and this is year 2

indoors , i need some N fish boost on some girls ,but my c99 is happy raw dog
and im going on my 8th round indoors and its not showing any real signs of depletion yet

i pretty much pop out the root ball. slap in some ewc, drop in the new girls , topdress ,and we're off to the races

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ive personally gone with BAS coots mix for 300 gallons of mix

my thoughts are that the initial mix is way too hot
expect N burn out of the gate

it will take around three rounds to get it into fighting shape
but its a really good recipe i can attest for
i havent had to fertilze anthing in myu outdoor beda and this is year 2

indoors , i need some N fish boost on some girls ,but my c99 is happy raw dog
and im going on my 8th round indoors and its not showing any real signs of depletion yet

i pretty much pop out the root ball. slap in some ewc, drop in the new girls , topdress ,and we're off to the races

And therein is the secret of living soil. It is the longterm life in the soil that really counts. If you have hot materials to begin with it is often better to wait while they are assimilated by the microbial life.