What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Smell Control Device/Methods.

mack 10

Veteran
Hey IC fam,
As the title says I'm looking for the latest and greatest
Smell control.
Been running a combo of 6" and 8" Rhino carbon
Filters for years now.
Recently visited a grow with Ozone generators which
Worked well. (I've just never trusted the safety)
Also seen some Spanish members using a liquid, which
You spray into the air, or on the floor.

So, what you using?

A full run of Cheese will put these to the test,
So must be a fail safe product.
:tiphat:

mack 10

Veteran
93 views, not 1 reply?
Common someone must be using something other
Than Carbon filters?

zeke99

6.5' x 6.5' x 6.5' tent with the Max Fan Pro Series 8" and the Can-Lite 8". Pulling through the Can-Lite and out of the tent. You can't smell a fucking thing when the tent is zipped up.

Junk

Hey IC fam,
As the title says I'm looking for the latest and greatest
Smell control.
Been running a combo of 6" and 8" Rhino carbon
Filters for years now.
Recently visited a grow with Ozone generators which
Worked well. (I've just never trusted the safety)
Also seen some Spanish members using a liquid, which
You spray into the air, or on the floor.

So, what you using?

A full run of Cheese will put these to the test,
So must be a fail safe product.
:tiphat:

Do you know what Ozone generator?

If it's like the ones I'm familiar with, I wouldn't use that in the room.

yts farmer

Veteran
Ozone generators are normally used on the extract, preferably i the ducting, ozone can be harmful to plants and humans hence venting it straight out the window.

Havent heard of the spray tha spanish are using but that wouldnt cut it for me, like you said full run of cheese will let you know whats what, stick with the filter for now least you know it going to mask up the majority of the stench.

Wouldn't risk trying out new products on the smell elimination with cheedah.

I remember good few years back growshops were selling odour socks, new light weight carbon filters they said, saw few people get them and after a few weeks they were slating them..

Peace.

Junk

Ozone generators are normally used on the extract, preferably i the ducting, ozone can be harmful to plants and humans hence venting it straight out the window.

^^Yes

There are a couple different things labeled "Ozone" machines. Some of them are just heavy hepa filtration. They aren't real machines, it's a gimmick. Those would be fine.

But some actually generate Ozone, which is toxic to humans and plants at high enough levels. I've had them for different reasons, and I forget how much mg per hr it was, but you have to get all plants and animals out of the space.

That was many years ago though...maybe someone has mfrd a product specifically for cannabis that manages to skirt that toxicity line?

But if not, it's not something you should be using in a room with the plants. You could use it to scrub the already filtered air from the exhaust, but ideally it would be a closed system venting to the outside. Or at the very least, staying under toxicity levels for anything living.

Easy7

Veteran
The free radicals are what is dangerous from ozone.

Both ozone and carbon have tell tale smells. Ozone smells like after a storm and carbon has a yeast smell. Carbon works the best when it's a sealed room and sealed exhaust. Ozone does the least clean air for the power consumed.

I use air freshener plugged into wall when it gets real stinky. sometimes more than one. I use a lung room for air, which draws air from exterior, so most of air in lung room is not re-used in grow areas. I would stay away from air controls used in hospitals as they are toxic to humans. They are used to remove blood odors where people are not allowed for some time.

yts farmer

Veteran
^^Yes

But some actually generate Ozone, which is toxic to humans and plants at high enough levels. I've had them for different reasons, and I forget how much mg per hr it was, but you have to get all plants and animals out of the space.

Yes ozone is harmfull to plants and humans, the ozone generators i was talking about are mounted inline on the extract for that very reason, wasn't refering to vapourtek plugin types.

Peace.

watts

ohms
Veteran
Do you mean placing outside grow like in lung room or somewhere else in home outside of lung room?

Thanks. I fell weird pulling the vapor through a tent at 350 CFM.

Either or is fine. Carbon filter for the grow. The Vaportek is just added security. The Vaportek is not an ozone generator.

U

Ununionized

I used a pretty powerful ozone generator and it wasn't adequate because there wasn't any proper mixing. The grow reeked.

I grew up in a pet shop and know a lot about the chemistry of life in general and have seen every single implement ever used by mankind, in some kind of application cause after all those years of biological, natural, environmental chemistry giving rise to every life form ever discovered - I kept going later and went into another chemistry field where there as well, I worked hands on measuring stuff every single day.

Ozone has to be successfully mixed with your downstream air and- that means more than just professionally - you gotta get out there on the other end and check for scent and the chances are - there's gonna be some, because it's difficult to adequately mix so little ozone with so much odor, in a single stage, where adequate mixing and sorta combing, might occur.

I'm a big fan of ozone generators cause when you gotta bleach some stuff to death - you can make that stuff creep into walls, and insulation, where fungus has started growing, and it'll kill every last drop of the cooties where you can't see - given enough time and high enough concentrations.

People used to anecdotally report constantly that - ozone generators in their room made the plants not have any odor even though potency wasn't affected.

I don't really know, to what degree this can be depended on, but I do know ozone can neutralize any odor if you can mix it properly, I've seen it destroy odor around pets and things like that, where - you take the animals out, put the ozone generator on a timer, start a fan in the room, and shazaam, a fresh smelling room. Until of course you start uncovering odor sources.

Ozone is the kinda thing where, - you need a real good control over your air flow.

The reason I still have my - unused - ozone generator around is because for awhile when I did have the air flow under good control, that ozone generator - for the cost of basically an old neon light transformer from ebay - and the cost to run of like - maybe a night light if THAT - it made enough ozone even on low to easily handle the odor of the grow,

WHEN properly MIXED.

The way I mixed the air when it worked, was by having a house, with skirting all around it.

The grow was just a few three foot plants in a bedroom closet, and I just cut a hole, in the floor of the closet, and I over-pressured that one bedroom from outside, using a fan that blew into the window of the room.

Air channeled in by the closet, little 250 light, and I then pulled that air out, not up - but at the other end of this closet I hung a 12 inch vent sleeve made of reflective stuff and spiral wire, just ac duct - and I - under the house - had another standard box fan at the OTHER end of the house, pulling OUT.

Making that heat go DOWNWARD was ya know- a loss in efficiency but neighbors were RIGHT next door so it had to be discreet at that point.

I would get under that house repeatedly to test the ozone generator and that baby worked REALLY well and when I would get up under there, anywhere away from the hole in the floor where the duct came through - the air coming out, washed over the 1 foot by 1 foot pieces of stainless steel race car/off road radiator screen wire sandwiched to glass using silicone.

It worked like it was a demonstration project for just that kind of odor killing and you couldn't smell jack diddly just a couple of rooms' width from the duct's spillage out over that ozone generator.

Something else about that thing that worked out well is that later the glass got cracked but since I had stuck the wire on with numerous dots of silicone, it never came apart and I still have it, and it's operational, to this day.

You MUST have adequate mixing time or you are just out of luck with ozone.

If you DO have adequate dwell time, you're ON.

I later, had to reverse this flow condition and blow the air the other way for temperature control and the smell was all over outside, because the ozone and the grow air, didn't have sufficient dwell time, mixture time, for the ozone to neutralize it.

Ozone, is NOT a weak method, it's a HARD to DEPLOY method.

For instance if you can deploy your grow's extracted air maybe into an attic - and you have a reliable metal box to put that ozone generator in or maybe you buy an expensive one - if you can provide some dwell time up in that attic - the ozone will work WELL. you can tune that ozone generator to make less... less - till it stops neutralizing completely and odor returns. It's THAT reliable and THAT accurate - it's not a kinda magical deal, it's gas bleach with very well measured reactivity.

If you can't allow that gas mixture some dwell time in contact with each other - the ozone is not, gonna really make ya all that happy.

Now - of course, you see people say that - Oh, thim ozonian gas generadurs cain't werk, yew cain't evun see it! It ain't reel! - but - you know this is completely deconstructed by the nature of why, they even SELL ozone generators.

It's because it kills odors, that - nothing else, CAN kill, with GREAT regularity. When things die in a room - this can be lots of fungus growing in there, consuming products and excreting gases, and it can include just smell of dead animals and animal waste NOTHING else has a HOPE of getting rid of - if you can go off and leave that ozone generator on when you're gone for - like - two days? That place will smell like RAIN when you come back. And if you can leave it on a timer - so you don't just boil the place in bleach but you do things like you have some sense, you don't wanna bleach the darn paneling, LoL - and you can leave it for SEVERAL days - it'll be so pure in there that later, when you start pulling the old material out - there will hardly be any odor - even up INSIDE materials that had cat pee, animal waste where dogs and cats pee all over a wall, it'll get into the insulation... yuk.
------------------
Bein a chemist I kinda have a tendency to seek out and find opportunities to do chemistry sh** and my ex had a cousin who had a house that the roof had leaked in. They'd closed the place and for like five years it sat there and after a couple they accidentally poked a hole in the roof and it leaked all down in the bathroom wall, and mold filled the entire walls of the bathroom where the roof leaked and the water got in the walls.

They moved in, and repeatedly people moved BACK out cause the mold and odor made the place uninhabitable. My ex and I needed a place to move temporarily till we found a house so we packed up all our stuff and moved, to where there was a little camper they'd set up right against the house.

I unlimbered that ozone generator and got like.. I dunno, three, four fans going around the house - and put that generator in the attic and just let it go for like... three days.

The entire place smelled STRONG like bleached air, like rain, and would make your eyes sting, and it irritated my lungs cause - I'm a mad scientist, you do that sh**, and you're as stupid as I am. I had to walk in and out and do some stuff and it was longer than a single breath hold to do it, I don't remember what.

The lady who'd lived there kept expressing unreserved doubt anything could make the place possible for her to live in cause she happened to be the one of em all who got the most sick from the mold. As SOON as she came in - I couldn't smell a THING: neither could my ex. Neither could anyone right around at the time but the lady and her cousin would go in and start sniffeling and sneezing and feeling like shit.. when we first got there, we kinda noted forensically that yea, we saw this go on.

So I unlimbered the thing and did what I said and bleached - uh, OVER bleached, the SHIT outta the place.

My gosh I opened all the doors and windows and for 5 days there was STILL bleach smell leaking out of ANYWHERE you turned something over it was kinda like... woah, mufus.

Lady comes over, sits down, and said- Oh you got coffee? I'll get some and I'll know by the time I sit back down cause my nose will already start being stuffy, and I'll sit there till I have an allergy attack.''

She sits down.. nothin. She finishes cup one. Nothin. She refills her cup, we all get ready to leave, 35, 40 minutes later: nothin. She comes back in there repeatedly and: nothin. She never got sick in the place again and these were hillbillies I just didn't fuglin believe so I told her - go fetch the cousin and let's see if she gets sick too with the sniffles and general purpose mold allergy thing.

She DID go get the cousin. The cousin came in and SHE had coffee. Nothin. Never got sick in the place again. I grew up in the pet businesses and had seen MULTIPLE houses cleared of odor with ozone generators, after animals died in rooms when people were gone and the odor just could not be gotten out of the boards, the concrete - yes the c.o.n.c.r.e.t.e.

People would go rent or buy or make an ozone generator and not once - not ONCE did an ozone generator ever fail, that I ever heard of.

Plus I saw mine, work on two different odor situations or at least airborne spores, and odor.

They work e.x.a.c.t.l.y. as described: IF - you have CONTACT TIME.

Oh- and I was gonna say, you know how they tell you that - oh, if the humidity's high, those ozone generators - they don't work well?

Well - in my time seeing people use them on DEAD ANIMAL odor in their HOME - this was on the Gulf Coastal plain off the Gulf of Mexico and our humidity-hate is LEGENDARY down there. Think New Orleans and surrounding areas.

People put those things out - humidity never knocked a DENT in the things' efficiency there, that made really a noticeable difference, with one exception: if the humidity was up high from rain right as the thing was being used, it tended to reduce the efficiency as the bacteria just multiplied like MAD and the ozone generator made - less ozone.

It DOES make less ozone when it's raining, I've seen people come to my parents' shop and tell them that when it was raining, the ozone wouldn't clear the dead animal odor.
But - that as soon as it stopped, the ozone would clear it right up just like normal.

In my own experience using mine, in the house I killed mold in it was dry as a bone, 7,000 foot desert. BONE dry.

In the pot grow I destroyed odor in one way, but not another way - it would be sorta rainy at times and the effectiveness did indeed go down, I do have to admit that. When it was like, afternoon thundershowers time? I would look at the plate and wire and there would be less visible arcing, hence - less created ozone. I would walk out to the end of the house where I was pulling that mixed air out - and yep - sure enough, about a third of the total odor of the grow I guess would be coming out. As soon as it dried up - effectiveness came back.

That's my experience with these, and my knowledge of the ozone thing. In that pets business - when you're a young boy there's always animals around dyin, - who's gonna get volunteered to go clean that up? Management, my parents? My sister? LooooLoLoL.

uh, no. So I'm VERY familiar with how to gauge the truth of what people told us in the shop about odor not going away no matter what, and we used ozone generators ourselves, because it's ALL that WORKS, once dead animal fluids creep into porous wood between floor tiles, or under base boards. YaY!, YaLL!

We had to deploy em SEVERAL times and they NEVER failed, and our customers told us, of their experiences, too: and they always matched, because it works like this: when you boil that bleach gas off and let it SIT somewhere - that odor is what's called in scientific terms, G.O.N.E. gone, and MO' GOANE but one thing it ISN'T: around any more.

But the CONTACT time is the deal. You, have simply, GOT to HAVE some. For POT odor, it's NOT but about - oh, not long, a couple of minutes.

When my ozone generator was FAILING to cover the odor of an identically sized grow of the SAME weed - I had the same set up in the closet,

but the air flow, was REVERSED. We had seasonal winds and temp changes so it worked well from one stand point. I could just invert things, and the hot weather, the cold weather, I could neutralize them.

But when the ozone came up, through the duct from below, passed OVER the GROW and OUT of the closet into the room,

I had BURNING sensations in my eyes and NOSE - and then,

a lot of the time, RIGHT outside the window - you could clearly smell ozone - and pot.

So - I've seen a LOT of filters of many kinds in my day, and the one kind I've seen the LEAST of deployed, are carbon filters made specifically for pot grows. I've never used one myself, I've been in peoples' houses that had them, they were deployed.. oK, not well, there was leakage in MOST peoples' grows whose houses I've been to...

so.. that's my total knowledge of the ''ozone vs carbon filters, wtF?'' thing.

Peace

mack 10

Veteran
Yes ozone is harmfull to plants and humans, the ozone generators i was talking about are mounted inline on the extract for that very reason, wasn't refering to vapourtek plugin types.

Peace.

it was outside the growroom.

i like most of you had heard ozone is dangerous and will take the smell from your buds.

i think the safest way to use ozone is inbetween grows,
when no plants are there yet.

looks like a new mountain air or rhino filter is on the cards.

any Spanish growers know the name of the liquid you spray in the air or put on the floor. ? spose to work well.

window

Veteran
Neutralizer saved my ass when cheese odours found their way outside of the room the plants were grown in, safe for humans, plants and animal's.
Ona gel bucket's can help as well but may not last as long.
I used to use Vaportek too, they were a lifesaver before carbon filter's but the replacement cartridges are expensive and good luck finding a UK grow shop where they haven't sat on shelves for year's, rendering them almost infective.

Scrappy-doo

The spray was probably ona liquid and it fucking works wonders. When I was drying my outdoor last season and my carbon filter just wasn't cutting it, ona liquid in a spray bottle sprayed onto a sheet draped over my exhaust vent a few times a day killed all traces of weed odor, and no it did not affect the smell or flavor of my buds one bit. Just make sure no spray mist touches your flowers and you'll be all set.

mack 10

Veteran
Yeah Ona spray/gela works well.
I also use them outside the room.
But that's not the product i mentioned.
This is specifically for stinky situations.
Just can't remember the name.

I'll be using a mix of everything mentioned above
Plus anything else i can think of.
:)

Latest posts

Latest posts