What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Game of Thrones...

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
i read all the books as they were published and the show is truly great, but i dont know how you could watch it without reading the novels. i call the show "fast forward of thrones" because a 5 minute scene encompasses an hour of detail in the books. strange to see things in the shows background, all done in exquisite detail, never explained in the show.

i like to listen to audiobooks while i work, and the ones for this series are truly amazing. roy dotrice got a guiness record for his work on the audiobook. if you are into the show, but dont have time to read em all...or if you have read them and want to get a "close read" i recommend it.

I've got the SOIAF box set on pre-order at Amazon.
I generally tend to view TV/Film versions of popular books as totally separate stories-usually quite reasonable as things get changed so much. Seeing a film or TV show first doesn't spoil it for me as there are always lots of details/sub-plots missing from the TV/Film.
I hated the Alex Cross(James Patterson) films(Kiss the Girls+Along came a spider) with Morgan Freeman--totally the wrong man to be Dr/Detective Cross--Delroy Lindo or the chief from "The Wire" -the one who had the tolerance zone for drug dealing--much better choices and fitting the description of this very large man.

jenery

really great, always nice to find a fantasy saga story, going to get the books asap, until then i am hooked to the show, watched 5 episodes yesterday and gonna continue today!! thanks for this tip icmag:thank you:

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
I've read the book and enjoyed it immensely. So much so that it can be attributed for getting me on this historical fiction kick that has me practically trapped by English history. I've tried reading other fictions based on different histories, but this keeps dragging me back as most fascinating and entertaining.
Have you read "The Jester" by James Patterson. Set in the time of the crusades. I recommend it, but I love Patterson.

S

SeaMaiden

I have not, and I've been looking for more recommendations. Thank you!

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
I have not, and I've been looking for more recommendations. Thank you!
You might want to check out the "Rigante" series by David Gemmel. That's more fantasy fiction, mixed with real history.
I really enjoyed Sword in the storm.
David Gemmel wrote "Legend"
Remember, Tom Cruise, with fairies and unicorns and an awesome Satanesque baddie.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im so happy Khaleesi did not get trapped. I like her character she is one of the best on the show..

We got to see the white walkers for the first time. Looks like a bunch of Zombies to me..

Sucks now we have to wait a year...They should make more episode per season

T

toughmudderdave

I like Daenerys too. I felt she was being "tested" in the tower. When she walked into the Iron Throne Room, I believe she was glimpsing the future during Winter and had she touched the Throne, she would have stayed there. Same for when she say Khal Drogo with their child.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
joffrey said he was going to marry that other chick. Sansa turned and smiled as she was leaving Good for her. I hope she makes it out of there..

Meraxes

Veteran
the grey one on the dead horse was great. with the resources they have, the've put together some rather striking scenes that just capture people i think. the white walkers marching south to the drumlike musical theme, for example. kind of like last seasons end with the nights watch marching through the tunnel to the north. a collective of some really smart people are working on this, this is known.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
winter is coming to the south so looks like invasion of the white walkers next season

S

SeaMaiden

I so enjoyed last night's episode that I watched it twice. I liked that they allowed more time to flesh out some issues with the storyline. However, I think either a 2-hr special or another episode after that whole battle would have helped the story flow a little bit better.

What do you guys think Robb Stark is going to do with Theion?

Brienne is the one I'm really diggin' at this moment. "A short death..?" HA!

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
I so enjoyed last night's episode that I watched it twice. I liked that they allowed more time to flesh out some issues with the storyline. However, I think either a 2-hr special or another episode after that whole battle would have helped the story flow a little bit better.

What do you guys think Robb Stark is going to do with Theion?

Brienne is the one I'm really diggin' at this moment. "A short death..?" HA!
Robb isn't going to do anything to Theon if it stays true to the story-Young Mr Greyjoy does get his just desserts though - nasty business.
The scene with Theon executing Roderick Cassel--when he kicked the head off--great bit of acting from Lily Allens brother there.
Anyone who really cant wait 12 months should check out the wiki.....
Only 3 1/2 hours til it shows over here....
I just hope GRRM doesnt Die before finishing the series.

mrcreosote

Veteran
I wont watch the series until I finish the book set my daughter gave me for Christmas.
Martin is like the Honey badger of authors. He kills em dead and he just don't give a shit.

Red Wedding...Bam!... just like that.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Great episode...although it is different from the book story-according to the wiki. I guess they have to ditch some stuff to make it for TV. So maybe Robb will get some personal revenge on Theon after all....
Now that Mr Creosote has mentioned the Red Wedding....yeah that is going to piss of a lot of people I bet.
The white walkers ending was fantastic.
I Agree with Seamaiden that it should have been a 2 hour special, specifically, Daenarys at the House of the undying, needed more time.
I also really like Ygritte.

Last edited:
Great to find some other fans of this show here. I've been hooked since the first episode last season and this new season FLEW by way to fast! Cant wait untill next season!!

Meraxes

Veteran
the wiki history going all the way back to the "children of the forest", and how giants helped the first men build the wall, i've always found intriguing. i always end up picturing the "children" as a short, light brown skinned elven like humanoid creature, with behaviors not unlike "Avatar" in how they use(d) magic with the trees and forest like everything is one organism. you almost cant help regressing into a childlike euphoria from the sheer wonder of it all. i'll be hitting a book signing soon lol.....

D

davie blah

maybe people who have read the book's could stop posting spoiler's tosser's

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
maybe people who have read the book's could stop posting spoiler's tosser's
What spoliers..... there has been some vague hinting but no direct spoilers saying x will happen to x and y will happen to y.
Even the words Red Wedding don't mean anything unless someone googles it-in which case it's on them.
For our American friends "Tossers" is the same as "Wankers" Calling people wankers is silly--everybody is a wanker.
If you say you don't wank you're a liar, but a fool if you say that you do, so the next time you see, Prince Charles on TV, remeber he wanks himself too.

Latest posts

Latest posts