What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Influence of Tobacco on Tetrahydrocannabinol Levels

THC123

Veteran
but with low consumption i doubt the healthrisk is that great. (

well tobacco just fucks up your body thats why i quit

plus tobacco mixed in joints makes you wanna smoke more and more

now that i quit baccy i actually enjoy my high without thinking of the next one

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I smoked cigarettes, I smoked mj. But not together, they do not mix well in my body. It is almost like being totally shitface drunk, my ears ring, balance is gone, nausea so bad I couldn't turn my head, coordination shot, I would have to sit it out, about an hour.

Now for the meat.

I have OCD pretty strong and I got a Luvox script. It worked better than anything else attempted (lots of tries) but when I would smoke a cigarette the identical symtoms showed, nausea, dizziness, spastic, and I had to wonder?

Short version, three years of playing with extracts and I have a method that works for OCD and does not cost $350/month for the pharmacy.

Cook bud at 250 for 45 minutes, mix with half the amount of hexane for 1 minute, pour though a coffee filter and boil the hexane mix for 30 minutes, vacuum the hexane off and the oil works very well for my OCD.

Since most folks I share this with complain it does not give a good high, instead making them immobile, I guessing the boil portion makes CBD's out of the mj, but do not know how that would work chemically.

But this post was on the interaction of nicotine and THC, and CBD also it turns out. The interaction is definite and strong, but not always complimentary, genetics has a role in just about everything, on the mj side as well as the human side.

djonkoman

Veteran
usually I can't get really high on joints with tobacco, I really don't like tobacco, the feeling taste and effect, so I can only take 2-3 small hits each time(otherwise the nicotinerush is so strong I feel fucked up and nauseous for the following half hour-hour instead of just a few minutes)
wich is usually not enough to give me a decent high
vaporizing on the pther hand is really my thing, the healthaspect is nice but just a cofactor for me, the reason I started vaping is that I heard the effect is more high
and it was exactly what I was looking for, something that doesn't feel uncomfortable in my throat, gives a great taste on the first puffs, if my sense of smell is ok at least(there are often moments that I smell nothing at all, before vaping I never really tasted weed, and I think I wouldn't have noticed the difference between only tobacco or tobaccop woth weed, the difference between pure tobacco and pure weed is clear tough)
and neutral after that, and not leaviong a nasty combustion/ash aftertaste
and I can just vape while relaxing and watching tv, it gives only a little smell so no need to open windows etc to get the smoke away, there will be a little smell probably but that doesn't matter)
and it's really easy to just take one or a few hits then not for a while etc, just tyake a hit when I feel like it
and it takes less weed, also nice

but still most of all I think the vaporizing effect is superior to any combustionhigh, vaporizing is also what started my habit of getting high daily instead of weekly
and when I had my first vaporizer a few weeks I spent 3 weeks 24/7 high, that really sold me, but with combustion that wouldn't have been possible

soil margin

Veteran
Man I started smoking cigs fairly regularly at age 12, quit at 18 and switched entirely to cannabis. Have never looked back, still enjoy the smell of a cig sometimes but lady MJ has been so kind to me I could never cheat on her.

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
"Tobacco smokers in the study had as much as a 21-fold increase in lung cancer risk. Cigarette smokers, too, developed COPD more often in the study, and researchers found that marijuana did not impair lung function. Tashkin, supported by other research, concluded that the active ingredient tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, has an "anti- tumoral effect" in which "cells die earlier before they age enough to develop mutations that might lead to lung cancer."

However, the smoke from marijuana did swell the airways and lead to a greater risk of chronic bronchitis."

That's from dr. Donald Tashkin who did over a decade of research on the effects of cannabis smoke on the lungs. I can't access the published papers, but i'm sure someone can grab them for us.

I personally find the combo of tobacco and cannabis to be rather distasteful in terms of flavor and effect on the hightype. Never understood why i would want to ruin perfectly good nugs with tobacco.

Although generally use a vaporizer. Have two of them and looking to pick up a third. I like smoking, but if i can i like to smoke with buds and hash or honey oil to minimize the actual smoking. I remember having a swollen epiglottis many nights after smoking a lot. Not much fun for me.

Farm Hero

I had always wonder'd why the English would mix tobacco in with their joints. I always figured it was because they didn't have enough weed... which may have also been the case but tobacco does have a synergy with cannabis that cannot be denied.

I am not sure if the "synergy" is from the tobacco burning hotter, decarbing the cannabis better and making better use of the present THC. Does nicotiene actually interact with THC?

I believe it's mostly because tobacco burns hotter and ensures the bud burns thoroughly, but who knows.

I do not smoke cigs or tobacco alone, only with cannabis and it does increase the effects for me no doubt. My best blunt wraps are made from N. Rustica the famous shamans tobacco that is super potent, around 3x as potent as N. Tobacum. One blunt wrapped in a N. Rustica leaf truly is a shamanic experience.

Keep in mind many native tribes smoke N. Rustica to reach shamanistic levels, it might be poison but not if used correctly. As with everything.

Drewsif

They mix tobacco because they buy their weed from Cali or other dank growers and sticky icky clogs up a pinner joint on its own.

Fuck tobacco. Anyone smoking it can't tell what their weed even taste like.. I bet most shitty tasting weed is grown by tobacco users.

DL1943

I enjoy cannabis with tobacco from time to time. I find that when using high quality, fresh European style halfzware type shag in proper proportion in a big joint, some of the flavors of gassy strains are enhanced, some are muted, and then there is some extra flavor from the tobacco. When done properly with top shelf herb it can be a really really great flavor, that isnt quite as good as flower alone, but almost as good and great when you want something a bit different.

Something I don't think the study takes into account is the rate of absorption. Sure, more THC may be released from the plant material into your lungs, but the fact that it is watered down with tobacco smoke means the THC is entering your bloodstream more gradually, and more is being exhaled.

Consider oral vs. snorted vs. injected drugs, take opiates for example. The methods of ingestion that get the drug into the bloodstream faster, even with the same amount of drug delivered, are much stronger than slower methods, like oral ingestion, with higher blood plasma levels achieved because of faster absorption.

I think something similar is going on with a weed/tobacco "spliff". Although more THC is released per gram of weed, less THC is released per hit due to being watered down with tobacco, resulting in slower absorption, and a lighter, more functional high.

mr.brunch

Veteran
I am from the uk and I think the main reason it is customary to use tobacco in joints is because 20/25 odd years ago most cannabis consumed here was in the form of hash ... weed was around here and there, but most of the time dealers had hashes.

Pure hash joints don't smoke well! And while we did enjoy bongs, buckets and knives to smoke it pure, joints are more social.

brown_thumb

I don't smoke tobacco and never will. However, I am trying the addition of nicotine lozenges along with chewing and/or smoking weed. I'm a newb to weed (searching for medicines). I bought the 4mg size and tried 1/2 lozenge the first time... didn't notice anything different. Then I tried a full lozenge which is approximately equal to smoking four cigarettes. That time I was able to sleep for several hours straight, pain and stress free... other than having TERRIBLE balance problems when I awakened. However, I have Parkinson's so I may just be reacting strangely to the combination. But I was drinking a bit too. So this is booze plus smoked weed plus chewed weed plus nicotine. Sometimes it knocks me on my ass... other times practically nothing. I've only tried it 5-6 times thus far though.

I THINK I NEED MORE EXPERIENCE!! :D

rolandomota

A joint gets me higher than a tobacco wrapped joint you know those cigarrillos people cut open then roll weed in it or you buy just the wraps. I came to the conclusion that i get less high this way for some reason.
I just remembered this does give me a speedy lightheaded feeling i dont like and you cant power hit the joint like with paper or a pipe the crappy feeling gets worse i want to feel good warm euphoria not a shitty lightheaded feeling that seems to block weeds full effect

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Instead of water curing your weed, water cure your tobacco. Nicotine is water soluble and can be leached out of the tobacco.
The water though is deadly, seriously, so do not leave where kids can reach.

Spaventa

Veteran
nicotine usually kills not cancer... 99 % of the people dying because of smoking tobacco die from heart attack or a stroke

Just like non smokers then :)

Tobacco is harmless. They did studies on people who chew nicotine gum. NO link with cardiovascular health. NOT a carcinogen, just an alkaloid like caffeine.

Tobacco ADDITIVES kill people. Incredibly, they deny additive free tobacco is safer but don't deny the 599 additives are toxic poisons and carcinogens! It just bullshit from tobacco company shills in public office.

Use American Spirit, Pueblo with buds or add Nicotine E juice with your oils to improve the THC uptake/absorption. I did it ages ago. I added cherry e juice to some oil and it ran great in my vape. Tasted like id made the oil from Cherry Pie!

herbgreen

Veteran
I smoked american spirit organic....still messed up my lungs

Nicotine is a vascular constrictor and bronchial constrictor

Cannabis is a vascular diolator and bronchial diolator

That's enough for me....And if i smoked that shit for more than a few months my breathing would be worse and makes skin wrinkle and stinks need one twice an hour...gum disease But you look cool and supersexy!

Its more expensive than cannabis to use at this point

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yea, herbgreen, gotta agree. Tobacco is quite harmful and not in the same league with pot in jacking your lungs or heart.

The cancer part of tobacco can be reduced by buying organic tobacco grown without phosphate fertilizer. Good luck finding that, I think American Spirit makes one.

Pot can irritate the lungs but tobacco can kill the lungs. I quit pot for 20 years because it was linked with smoking cigs for me. Had to quit the cigs for my health. I was addicted and smoked everyday, the cigs that is.

I still miss them.... I think an occasional pipe of tobacco or cigar is fine, no inhaling though. Some people can smoke cigs daily without regret, I think I am not one of those people.

Nicotine can help some irritable bowel syndrome, and has other good effects for other conditions. The cigarette I would have after smoking some pot was the most awesome ever. It enhanced the effects of the pot but was really doing a number on my heart, I could feel it pounding away, even as a young person.

I doubt smoking a bit of tobacco with your hash or buds is gonna kill you unless you smoke all day everyday.