What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpene Talk with Extract Consultants

TasteBudds

Hi! My name is Max Brown and I am one of the founding members of Extract Consultants. We provide isolated terpenes and terpene blends to the cannabis community, and have also created a special line of flavorings called TasteBudds. Our team has over 50 years experience in the Essential oil, flavor and fragrance world and would love to share our knowledge and embark on some terpene talk.

Terpenes and materials alike are a hot topic in our community currently, and there is a lot of educating to be had, so if anyone has anything they would like to share or have any questions they would like brought to the table please feel free to start the conversation here!

Stay Terpy!

MB

mobin

Hi! My name is Max Brown and I am one of the founding members of Extract Consultants. We provide isolated terpenes and terpene blends to the cannabis community, and have also created a special line of flavorings called TasteBudds. Our team has over 50 years experience in the Essential oil, flavor and fragrance world and would love to share our knowledge and embark on some terpene talk.

Terpenes and materials alike are a hot topic in our community currently, and there is a lot of educating to be had, so if anyone has anything they would like to share or have any questions they would like brought to the table please feel free to start the conversation here!

Stay Terpy!

MB

are terpenes safe to inhale?

sadpanda

sorry for my dumb question but what are isolated terpenes used for? i know limonene can be used as a cleaning solvent that just also happens to smell nice lol but thats about it

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran

I have a tendancy to avoid any bussiness that would spam the same site two days in a row.

we appreciate you guys looking out for the site and the terms of use, but you need to let people arrive and have a chance to read the tou before you attack, lol. many a new member has ended up advertising here or just sharing great information. i agree it's not good to have spam, but it is good to have people in the industry talking about what they do. so yeah there were no links posted, no products listed, no prices. i did tell our new friend to read the tou. but yeah some times giving the benefit of the doubt is worth it.

i read his post as an introductory post. what matters now is the future. if i made a mistake i can always rectify it.

mobin

nope you gotta eat it. especially to get those "benefits" from the terpenes. terpenes when smoked/vaped/inhaled are known irritants...usually require a respirator to work with.....but hey lets go ahead and bottle em up and sell em as something to add flavor to extracts that we'll market to folks with terminal illnesses n shit!

I would think the irritation is from concentration because some have been shown to boost respiratory health and reduce inflammation via Inhalation

Working around d-limonene gets gross after a while though. When I spray my plants with essential oils my lungs feel a little raw the next day.

TasteBudds

I apologize if I have broken rules, I am still new to the forum culture, and wasn't sure where to place my first post, so please excuse my newbie approach guys :) I only meant to start a discussion.

TasteBudds

are terpenes safe to inhale?

Great question.

If used responsibly, we believe that based on known analytics MOST terpenes are safe to inhale, but stressing responsible use is very important.

Terpenes are found in many plants are consumed in many ways. I.E. aromatherapy, candles, fragrances, flavors, etc. From a direct inhalation standpoint, we do not have a ton of data on inhaling large amounts of terpenes for long periods of time, which is why we feel its best to stick within the realm of nature when adding these products back and to use minimal amounts in product formulas.

We do think people should error on the side of caution with the amount of terpenes utilized in a particular formula. The terpene content in cannabis is usually very minimal, therefor if people stick within a 1%-4% add back rate, they should be pretty safe. Anything more may cause irritation and could certainly be a concern for long term usage.

TasteBudds

sorry for my dumb question but what are isolated terpenes used for? i know limonene can be used as a cleaning solvent that just also happens to smell nice lol but thats about it

In the Essential oil, Flavor and Fragrance world terpenes are typically used as ingredients in many types of formulations. For example - You can find myrcene and linalool in most types of floral sents like lavender, and in any citrus type formula you can almost guarantee to find limonene. (weather it is used as a specific note or is in there as just a simple orange oil that contain limonene.)

Since a huge percentage of consumable products on the market contain a flavor or a fragrance, you can be sure that people consume terpenes in many forms every day, whether we absorb them through our skin using a scented soap or lotion, or ingesting it while eating a tasty strawberry flavored candy.

sadpanda

cool. so the terpenes are usually added to non-cannabinoid products? or are they meant to be added to {BHO's, RSO's, oils, etc}?

TasteBudds

cool. so the terpenes are usually added to non-cannabinoid products? or are they meant to be added to {BHO's, RSO's, oils, etc}?

the cannabis industry is beginning to explore, experiment and utilize terpenes (and flavors) in products like CO2 oil, distillate, RSO, BHO, tinctures, edibles, beverages etc. But it is relatively new.

And yes, they are also used in flavorings and scents that are contained in non cannabis products all the time in many types of consumable goods. This is why essential oils are so vital, because a huge number of products contain a flavor or a fragrance, but many people are unaware of how often they consume them. A good example of why people don't notice these materials - If you look at any label on a candy, soda, bag of chips etc, typically you will only see a natural or artificial flavor on the ingredients list. Companies do not go into detail on what is inside the flavor, or how it is built. Terpenes are often times a big part of how those products are built.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
the cannabis industry is beginning to explore, experiment and utilize terpenes (and flavors) in products like CO2 oil, distillate, RSO, BHO, tinctures, edibles, beverages etc. But it is relatively new.

And yes, they are also used in flavorings and scents that are contained in non cannabis products all the time in many types of consumable goods. This is why essential oils are so vital, because a huge number of products contain a flavor or a fragrance, but many people are unaware of how often they consume them. A good example of why people don't notice these materials - If you look at any label on a candy, soda, bag of chips etc, typically you will only see a natural or artificial flavor on the ingredients list. Companies do not go into detail on what is inside the flavor, or how it is built. Terpenes are often times a big part of how those products are built.

Cannabis is not just THC, or a few other Cannabinoids, there is a whole universe of other compounds, including terpenes, that add to the effects, most of which are found in many other products we use daily, sourced from other plants. Many of these are part of ancient medicines and treatments that man has used for thousands of years and almost all of these have a sound basis, have been proven to work.

Yesterday I was in a Chemist and spotted Bachs Rescue Remedy http://www.bachflower.com/bach-flower-remedies/ These share many of their ingredients with Cannabis. Their site is worth a read, it is all relevant

sadpanda

Chaos, he never said cannabis was "just THC or a few other cannabinoids" - he didn't even use the words THC or cannabinoids

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Chaos, he never said cannabis was "just THC or a few other cannabinoids" - he didn't even use the words THC or cannabinoids

Sorry, I didn't mean to give the impression that he had, I was just illustrating the point that "the effect" is actually a massively complex subject and that it dovetails into other well known herbalist treatments, and cures because of these terpenes (and other stuff, probably)

I found Extract Consultants a few weeks ago via Grey Wolf and Skunkpharm, that is a good enough recommendation for me, solid members of the very short list of "people I trust" in this Green world

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
so are you extracting terps from oranges, lemons pines or what ever? or do you only use terps extracted from cannabis?

RulaTone

Veteran
Hey TB glad you are here and avoided ban!
I have a few questions if you dont mind..
If you extract terpenes from buds or trim or concentrate will the product be unusable after stripping volatiles?
What is a reasonable yeld and from what kind of source?
Do you find adding terpenes to a known concentrate improve or change the effect?
Thanks